“Big disappointment” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kona Honu Divers

Kona Honu Divers
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kona Honu Divers is locally owned and operated. From the moment you step into the shop or prepare to board our boat, you become part of our "ohana" or family. Our boat is safe and comfortable. Our dives are guided by knowledgeable instructors who brief you on what to expect to see before you enter the water. Encounters with dolphin, turtles, and manta rays are common in the placid Kona waters.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Big disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

The positive - very nice boat that handled the water well. I also felt like their gear was well maintained.
The negative begins with them demanding you go to their small and hidden dive shop that is close to neither the boat nor any resorts. The purpose is purely to try to get you to spend even more with them on t-shirts. All you do at the shop is sign wavers, run your credit card and look at dive cards. All of which can be done at the boat which is another 10 mins away. The second big negative was the lack of friendliness of the staff. It started with the shop manager and then continued on the boat with their captain.
All in all, an extremely disappointing experience. My husband and I have done a lot of diving in world wide and this was the worst company we have experienced.
It fundamentally comes down to their lack of being customer service focused.

3 Thank Mary A

• Korean first
Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

This was my first night dive and my first dive on a large boat. This was also Virginia's first night dive. My previous experiences have all been on six packs (which I prefer) or shore dives. But these folks were so well organized that everything seemed seamless. Virginia also commented that this was the best organized large boat she'd ever been on. There're we're twelve divers and another dozen or so snorkelers on-board. Our group of five divers had two newer divers including me. Our dive master Taiki knew where we were at all times, made sure we were safe and having a great experience. The night dive was even more amazing than I had anticipated. It wasn't just the mantas it was the entire experience, Taiki gave us a very useful briefing before going into the water, guided us to a very good viewing site and made sure we could see. He checked on those of us with less experience frequently and kindly suggested when we needed to go with plenty of time for a safety stop. I can't say enough about the water ballet we saw between the gliding and flying mantas and the swirling Hawaiian Flagtails the entire dive was magical. What made it even better was the fact that we had done our afternoon dive at the same site and saw a total transformation after dark.

Zurich, Switzerland
“Awesome Dives!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

The dives were awesome and the crew was fantastic! I loved the night dive with the Mantas! We saw 38 of them! GREAT!

Visited November 2013
Wrangell, Alaska
“Great operation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

Great crew, great experience. Got my open water cert while on vacation here and was well worth the time and money. Definitely a first class operation! Thanks guys and I'll be back next year to do the Manta Dive.

Brisbane, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“what an experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

While on holidays on the big island my partner and I wanted to snorkel with giant manta rays, wr contacted the shop and before we knew it we were on the boat heading to the site. Once there we had a quick chat about the do's and don'ts and then the fun began, firstly beore we got in the water a manta ray breached the water surface which got everyone on the boat even more excited.

We all climbed into the water in search of more of these magnificent creatures, only to see 2 more. It was a bit of a disappointment not to see more but fantastic to see what we did ( you can't control the ocean or what it does ). A great time was had by all and the staff were fantastic and extremely helpful - eager to answer any questions and always up for a chat.