“AMAZING... Manta Ray Dive”
Review of Kona Honu Divers

Kona Honu Divers
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kona Honu Divers is locally owned and operated. From the moment you step into the shop or prepare to board our boat, you become part of our "ohana" or family. Our boat is safe and comfortable. Our dives are guided by knowledgeable instructors who brief you on what to expect to see before you enter the water. Encounters with dolphin, turtles, and manta rays are common in the placid Kona waters.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 29 March 2014

What an incredible day of diving and then, NIGHT diving. Kudos to all of the people who helped all of us. By far an experience that none of us will ever forget. Kona Hona Diving were professional,.. to the point.. smart and personal. Thank you so much!!!

1  Thank TerrieU
Write a ReviewReviews (1,163)
All reviews
in 21 reviews
"fish"
in 77 reviews

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We have been diving with KHD for 12 years. Great group of divemasters, instructors and boat captains. Very safe and full of aloha. Nice big Newton always has plenty of room. Their equipment is in great shape and up to date. No raggedy wetsuits or dodgey looking regs. Love the double wall aluminum tanks. You love carrying less weight!
We have been bringing friends to Kona Honu divers since they started because they never disappoint. Always have a wonderful time.

2  Thank Lisa V
Reviewed 14 March 2014

My wife and i just finished a week-long trip to Kona and had a fantastic time. Part of the reason we had such a great time was because of the SCUBA diving, and because of Kona Honu Divers!

I specifically chose Kona Honu Divers because I'm an SSI Open Water SCUBA Instructor at Neptune Divers Dive Shop in Salt Lake City and one of my fellow instructors recommended them. I knew I could trust him and that I would only receive the best and most professional service from Kona Honu Divers. They did an amazing job and exceeded all of my expectations. I will now recommend them to all of my students and fellow divers whenever any of them go diving on the big island.

The boat was nice, spacious, clean and not crowded at all, including on the Manta Ray Night Dive when there was a full deck of divers and snorkelers. The crew was exceptional, from the different Captains, to the different Dive Guides, to all the folks at the shop.

Also, the dive gear was in great condition. My wife and I dove with our personal gear (which the crew gladly handled properly and rinsed and cleaned for us), but I did take a look at the equipment that the other divers were using -- it looked new, clean, and serviced/maintained. This included the BCs, regs and tanks/weights, but also the snorkel equipment. I wouldn't have batted an eyelash had I needed to use/rent any of their gear.

As for the dives, one of them was the world-famous Manta Ray Night Dive, so enough said, right? At least two manta rays showed up, including 14-foot wide "Vickie" in all of her enormous glory and beauty! Lots of eels out at night as well.

We did two other great boat dives at two different Arch locations. We saw plenty of octopuses, nudibranchs, beautiful rock/coral/arches, and more fish species than we could count.

Finally, my favorite dive of the trip was the Friday night Blackwater Dive. This was an unbelievable experience. If you get the chance -- DO THIS DIVE!!! Truly a unique offering. On this dive, we had three crew members and three divers, so we were pretty spoiled. They dropped us down on a tether over thousands of feet of water, then we drifted along and "hunted" for the most intricate, unique and alien animals you could ever see up close. My mind cannot unsee all the crazy critters I saw on this dive.

Well done Kona Honu Divers! The question is not whether I will dive with you again, but when?!?! Hopefully sooner rather than later. MAHALO!!!!!!

2  Thank Garrett D
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I dove with Kona Honu Divers last week. Terri was my divemaster, and since it had been more than two years since I scuba'd, I had to do a refresher. There was one other person on our boat in the refresher group, and Terri was attentive to us both, on the boat for the audio/visual aspect (a PADI picture book and her narrative) and in the water. Once she cleared us, the fun started! All sorts of great species, at fantastic dive locations. On the boat after both dives, Terri gave some tips as she observed our diving and air usage, and I'm inspired to get back into the sport. Thanks!

1  Thank SW_Screener