“Diving with the Manta Rays”
Review of Kona Honu Divers

Kona Honu Divers
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kona Honu Divers is locally owned and operated. From the moment you step into the shop or prepare to board our boat, you become part of our "ohana" or family. Our boat is safe and comfortable. Our dives are guided by knowledgeable instructors who brief you on what to expect to see before you enter the water. Encounters with dolphin, turtles, and manta rays are common in the placid Kona waters.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Atlanta, GA
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Diving with the Manta Rays”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We joined the Kona Honu dive trip on a night dive with the manta rays. Everyone in the shop was very professional, and the dive guides on our boat were as well. The night we took our trip was fairly rough and the dive staff was somewhat uncertain about whether or not we would be able to do the dive, but we forged ahead. The boat ride to the dive site was very rough, not for the faint of heart at all...there were times when the waves were 15ft high. Our group included 12 divers, and we were 4. Our family is all fairly new to diving and this was our first night dive. Our inexperience may play a part in my review. Half our group did not make it to the dive site from the boat, including 3 of my 4 family members, one of whom was the videographer for our group. Our teen son was the only one of us who got there. The surge was so strong below the surface that we were getting pulled around and there was so much churn that it was very difficult to get our bearings, much less maintain any neutral buoyancy. For beginner divers, this was not a good situation. We ended up on the boat, and the light from our flashlights was enough to draw in some manta rays, who were swooping all over the surface of the water within two feet of the boat, so we were still entertained. Our son had an amazing experience on the bottom, where a huge group of divers from many different dive outlets sat in a circle with a large spotlight in the middle of it and the manta rays swarmed all around them. My advice to anyone taking this trip is that you have more than just a few dives under your belt because if you don't have very much experience, the guides who are with you will not be able to hand hold you and you may find that it's more than you can handle if the weather isn't cooperating. For more experienced divers, this is an amazing trip and well worth the money.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Nealfam

• Korean first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Terri is THE BEST!!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I did the 'discover SCUBA' dive on Saturday morning 4.19.14 with Terri as my guide - both she and the dive were absolutely incredible. Every member of the crew was very helpful/personable. Terri was a great guide introducing me to the wonders of SCUBA diving, and now I'm hooked. I am beginning my PADI certification back home in California. It was a 2-tank dive, and we saw so many amazing things I couldn't hope to catalog them all. Terrie even took videos of the dive with her GoPro and uploaded them for me to retrieve after returning to the mainland. I can't recommend Kona Honu divers and Terri more highly.

2 Thank Kent M
Martinez, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Dive and exellent staff”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Last year I booked the night time Manta Ray dive with Kona Honu Divers and had the best experience ever. On that dive Frank was the captain and Taiki was our dive master. Both are very professional and knowledgable. That night we saw two manta rays. This year I booked another dive with Kona Honu Divers and once again thier staff was very friendly and professional. Luckily Taiki was the dive master again and he was able to take us to some white tip sharks, eagle rays, eels and through some lava tubes. I hope to visist the Big Island again soon and will definitely book another dive with kona Honu Divers.

1 Thank William C
Portland, Oregon
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great, friendly dive shop and boat”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Did my SSI cert with one of their dive trainers, and also did the night Manta dive. Total of 5 dives plus the "confined water" check-out before the "real" dives.

Excellent experience all around. Definitely going out with them again on my next Big Island trip.

And the night Manta dive was A*W*E*S*O*M*E*. Seriously. Wow...

1 Thank TooMuchSakeMan
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Best Dive Operator”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Between us, my partner and I have 850 dives, mostly in the Caribbean, Red Sea, Australia and Mediterranean, and imo, Kona Honu Divers is one of the best operations anywhere. Kona Honu Divers in Kona is an excellent, full service operation with friendly knowledgeable staff who really know their fish. We watched their care for novices on their OW and AOW courses and liked how they encouraged them. We appreciated the way they guided more experienced divers, pointing out endemic and rare fish and marine creatures. Good explanations. Excellent service, very safe, great equipment. Solid well maintained boat.

The shop staff were very helpful. They put me in touch with a reg repair service when my octo free flowed, and pointed us to great shore diving locations for days when we wanted to dive on our own.

Definitely highly recommended.