“Great Manta Dive”
Review of Kona Honu Divers

Kona Honu Divers
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kona Honu Divers is locally owned and operated. From the moment you step into the shop or prepare to board our boat, you become part of our "ohana" or family. Our boat is safe and comfortable. Our dives are guided by knowledgeable instructors who brief you on what to expect to see before you enter the water. Encounters with dolphin, turtles, and manta rays are common in the placid Kona waters.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I was looking for a single tank manta dive that would also take snorkelers and found that Kona Honu Divers were the only ones with seats available for the entire family. This proved to be a great trip for all of us. We loaded our stuff on the boat and all rental equipment was prepared for us. We had been assigned a position on the boat where the wetsuit had been placed. A few boats had already arrived and since the sun was still up we had the option of getting the suit on and snorkel around the boat.
The staff and crew were very helpful and informative. The predive manta information was held by Frank who did an awesome job of telling us about the site, the mantas as a group and as individuals. Kudos to him! Following a short swim to the site we sat down on 33 feet and pointed our flash lights upward to attract plancton. It was impossible to count the mantas but maybe 30. the boat had a cameraman who swam around us filming the entire dive.
I can definitely recommend Kona Honu Divers and wish we had more time to go on day time dives with them. The only hassle was getting into the wet suits. I am skinny but the suits seemed to be sized for tooth picks.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,163)
All reviews
in 21 reviews
"fish"
in 77 reviews

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We had a great experience working with Kona Honu divers. The staff and crew were professional, knowledgeable and friendly. The dive boat was spacious, well prepared, and comfortable. I took my wife and three teenage kids on the 2-tank, night manta ray dive on July 1, 2014. The manta ray dive was spectacular and exceeded our expectations. It's hard to find words to describe it - you have to go and experience it yourself. We were fortunate to see 17 beautiful mantas during our 50+ min. dive. Thank you Kona Honu divers for a fantastic night of diving in Kona - we'll be back!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Our group of 6 went diving with Kona Honu Divers in March, I should have written this review immediately because this is one of the best if not, THE best dive operation we've seen. We took advantage of their gear service and every morning our gear was back on the boat for us all setup and ready to use, it's much better than dragging everything back to a hotel room to rinse and hope that it'll dry by the next morning. The Manta Ray Night Dive is one of the best dives in the world, we saw up to 18 different rays. But, don't just go for that, the entire crew and all of our dives were great. We had fun, learned a lot from the experienced staff and plan on going back just as soon as we can.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I was a little dismayed to get to the boat to see 10+ people there (I ordinarily prefer to scuba with smaller groups) but the staff did break us out into groups of four, which helped quite a bit with crowding and pacing. We weren't rushed at all and each group got lots of individual attention from very knowledgeable instructors. And once we were underwater we got to see tons of amazing sea life - sharks, rays, dolphins, beautiful fish and coral.

My only complaint was that my Discover Scuba group of four had very varied skill sets - so while one of us was off and running, another couldn't get down from the surface. It might have been easier on a smaller operation to separate the super-beginners from the more advanced group. But ultimately I would absolutely recommend Kona Honu to a friend, as they are total pros and very nice.

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I dived with Kona Honu Divers in July and I did the 2 Tank Evening/Manta Ray Night Dive and my partner did the Snorkeling on 5 hour Manta charter on the same charter .
We had a great time and would highly recommend this company to any one wanting to see the manta rays or just to dive Hawaii.
They are professional and don't try and hype it up more than it is as it is already majestic and beautiful by its self and you wont be disappointed!
If you are trying to choose a company who to go with don't choose Manta Ray Dives Hawaii Neptune Charlies, I wrote a review on there name in tripadvisor check it out for more details!

1  Thank skipp01