“This is the best Dive boat on the island!!!!!”
Review of Honu Sports

Honu Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Unless otherwise specified all tours meet by the boat ramp on the north side of Honokohau Harbor.
Newport, Oregon
“This is the best Dive boat on the island!!!!!”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Lisa and Mike gave my family and I nothing but a first class experience. Incredibly friendly, knowledgable, and safe. We had a wonderful time. Lisa takes you out to some amazing dive spots. The time spent underwater is remarkable. They take the time to point out the amazing sealife I would've missed. My discovery dive was a few years ago with Lisa and the crew from that dive on it's been nothing but great experiences year after year. My children ages 7, 9, and wife will snorkel above while I'm down diving. Some of our most memorable times as a family have been out on the honu boat.
I started my diving experience with Lisa and Mike from discovery to certification by divemaster Lisa, and over the years they've been nothing but amazing. My daughter will be experiencing her discovery dive with Lisa next year.
If you're looking for a great time with incredible people then Honu Sports is the way to go. I rate the experience 5 star all the way. I trully can't say enough about our trips, so go out there and experience for yourself. Whether you're an avid diver or just interested in diving for the first time, either way this is the company and Lisa is the Divemaster you want on your next dive adventure!!!!!!!

Visited March 2012

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Friendly crew, great dives!”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We did the introductory dive, and it was a great time! The instruction was good, and the crew made sure we had a good, safe dive! They pointed out species of interest, took photos to email to us, and really personalized the experience for us. We'd definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a personal dive.

Reno, Nevada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Honu Sports Best Diving in Kailua-Kona”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Honu Sports has small boats (6 passenger) No cattle boats. They took us to abusolutely wonderful dive sites. Our first day of diving there were only three of us on the boat, the second day there was just the two of us (and the Divemaster of course) It was like having your own personal tour. Lisa (divemaster, and owner) was fantastic. Friendly, Knowledgeable, and fun. The Manta night dive is a must! Our Divemaster on that dive was Andy, again Fantastic, Knowledgeable, and Fun. The service and experience we had with Honu Sports was some of the best I have had in 20+ years of diving. All of the staff are knowledgeable, friendly and professional, from booking at the store, to the boat captians, to the Divemasters. Would definately dive with Honu Sports again!

Visited February 2012
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Awesome experience!”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Four of us (2 couples) went on a night Manta Ray snorkle. It was incredible. Our Captain, Lisa, was friendly, knowledgeable and fun. Her crew member Dave was great too. It was just the four of us, plus the two guides, which made for an extremely personal and intimate tour. We took a quick boat ride out to the Manta Ray spot. I was a bit intimidated at first - snorkeling in the cold dark water...but once you are in with the Rays, the apprehension melts away. Dave (crew member) went in the water with us and kept our group together and near the Rays - this made it easy for us to just focus on the amazing animals. Honu sports provided wet suits and snorkle gear. I would highly recommend this tour. It is an experience that you will never forget: the Manta Rays are 10-15 feet and come within inches of you in the water. They are so graceful and look like they are doing ballet in the water. There was another tour out there at the same time - a much bigger boat with more people. These people didn't have flippers and they looked like cattle on the boat. Although we swam near them so we could share their lights :) Overall such an amazing experience.

My brother and boyfriend also went scuba diving with Lisa and Honu Sports. They absolutely loved it. It was both of their first times scuba diving, and Lisa was a great instructor. They felt safe and confident in the water. Again, there were just 4 guests on the boat with 2 instructors and one crew member. Amazing personal attention. Lisa went into the water with them and made sure they were comfortable the entire time. She knows so much about scuba diving, and even took a picture of them in the ocean with her own camera. This one quick scuba experience got them hooked! They both want to get certified and continue to dive. They highly recommend Honu Sports for both first-timers and experienced divers.

Visited February 2012
Michigan
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“The Best Unknown Dive Operation in Kona”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Our family (my wife, two college age daughters, and I) were in Kona between Christmas and New Years. Before we left the mainland, we were slammed with the normal complexities of life plus the added Christmas activity, so we never found the time to book a dive trip in advance.

That's the bad news... and the good news.

It's bad because we went to all of the big, well-known shops that advertise in the dive magazines (Jack's Diving Locker, etc) and they were all booked. Nobody had any space on a manta night dive, and one shop could "squeeze us in" on a morning dive.

Dejected, and ready to settle for being "squeezed in" we walked in search of some shave ice to calm our spirits. That's when we found the Honu Sports dive shop.

They had four spaces open on a night manta ray dive, and could add a second afternoon dive at a reasonable rate. We immediately signed on, and held our breath (bad form for divers!). After all, we'd never heard of this operation, and it wasn't on the list of shops recommended by Jacks and the other big outfits.

We showed up at the assigned time. The boat was small, but it was in good shape and Captain Lisa obviously had her stuff together.

Departure was without incident, the trip out was smooth and fun (we saw dolphins on the way, jumping and spinning) and the dive briefing was complete and answered our questions. The mate (Ray) was a captain and divemaster, so he wasn't just a "mate" - he knew his stuff.

Since diving in Mexico, we always wonder if we'll be taken care of as well as we are on the small boats there. We're usually disappointed. But not this time! The only work we had to do was put on our own wetsuit! Ray had the gear all kitted up, ready to slip on and take a giant stride in. At the interval, he changed everything over to new tanks while we were enjoying the bottles of water and delicious homemade wraps that were provided for our snacking pleasure.

Ok, now to the diving...

The first dive was in the late afternoon, on the site known as Garden Eel Cove. And yes, there were hundreds of garden eels (first time we had ever seen those fascinating creatures) - they wave in the current and surge like plant stalks on the sandy bottom, but when you get too close, they drop down into the sand and hide from view. There was a nice array of healthy coral and beautiful reef fish. We started and ended at about 25 feet and dropped down to about 85 feet at the bottom of a steep coral wall. A very nice dive.

Lisa was our guide and divemaster on this dive and she pointed out interesting things we would have missed and was very attentive - she kept her eye on us, and she was really in charge, and made all of us feel safe.

A nice plus -- she brought her camera and took some photos which she emailed to us after the dive. No extra charge, just a very nice added bonus. (Lisa, next time... take a shot of the wife... she was the only one not in a shot and was a tad disappointed.)

Safety stop was spent cruising the reef at 15 feet, and then the surface interval with Lisa's delicious wraps.

During the interval, we had a very complete briefing for the night manta ray dive. It was full of superlatives, and I learned long ago, to never really trust an optimistic briefing. In my experience, the current is always stronger, the viz is always worse, the temp is always colder... you get my drift.

So when Lisa said, "The night manta dive in Kona is acclaimed to be one of the top 5 dives in the world" -- I was suspect. (and I was wrong) It was so much better than I could have ever imagined.

Ray was the divemaster on this dive, and he took excellent care of us. He explained exactly what would happen when we went in, where we would go, and how to behave once there. He made sure none of us sat on an urchin, and found rocks for us to hang on to... and got us settled and ready for the action.

It was amazing. There were about 15 gianta manta rays that swooped down to feed on the plankton that were attracted to our lights. They were close, really really close. Like two of then rubbed across the top of my head when passing over me. It was 50 minutes of underwater bliss.

When Ray tried to drag us back to the boat we didn't want to budge, we all still had a ton of air left, and the mantas were still feeding... come on. But finally we obediently followed him back to the boat, and two mantas came with us, swimming along just to ease the pain of separation.

Ray timed it well, we were back on the boat and left somewhere in the middle of the pack. (there were about 8 other boats there from other operators) It would have been a bit freaky to be the last one to leave.

I have noting but great things to say about Honu Sports.

As we were driving back to our resort, we rated everything about the dive, and here are the unbiased opinions of two college student coeds, a mom and me:
- the staff were amazing. friendly, capable and not pushy. A+
- the dives were superb A+
- surface interval was really nice B (this didn't get an A+ because there was no head on the boat, so peeing meant a jump over the side, and we remembered that one boat in Cozumel that gave us big comfy dive parkas to keep warm in! Ok, that's not fair, but this is our review, so there.)
- it was a professional operation A+
- we felt safe at all times A+
- the rental gear was very new and in good repair A
- the photos were a nice bonus A

So, there you have it. You won't find this shop in the major listings, you have to either look for them or stumble on them... Worse yet, there is another shop that has Honu in its name, so even the best of us can get confused and pick the other one.

BUT - this is a quality operation and you should try them out. We'll definitely dive with them the next time we are on the Kona Coast.

Visited December 2011