“A very spiritual experience, in this island of Hawaii were you can really listen to Mother Earth´s beat!!”

Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 February 2014

To fully understand the spirituality that can be experienced in this place, you also have to consider the island on which Four Seasons Hualalai is located. This earth-bound feeling is very soothing and gives a sense of belonging, a sense of peace, a sense of true emotional and physical recovering. The hotel has taken these natural forces and has blended them with modern comfort, but somehow, Hualalai has carefully managed not to block this strong beat of Mother Earth. I enjoy travelling quite a lot, but in very few places have I felt so well, from the inside - out! The staff is committed to a warm and friendly service, with genuine smiles. The cuisine reflects the importance of organic food and locally grown food. And of course, I was blessed with a room right in front of the ocean, with huge turtles visiting the shore, and whales jumping and splashing at the horizon!

Room Tip: Do try to book an ocean front room!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Aloha and mahalo for your charming description of your visit here at Hualalai. I too find the Big Island and our resort to be quite a spiritual place where our guests come to relax and recover from their everyday busy lives. I am so happy to hear that you discovered the peace and tranquility a visit to our resort can bring. Hurry back!

Executive Administrative Assistant

Write a ReviewReviews (2,986)

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Let me first begin by addressing the title of my review. If you're a younger couple, no kids, looking for a bit of an energetic vibe along with your relaxation, this may not be the right spot. Again, this is all based on personal opinion. This resort from my experience definitely has a health/relaxation theme, and the guests will skew somewhat older (no surprise given price), and therefore things get going pretty early. If that's what you are looking for, this place is a 10, hands down. If you are nitpicky (which I can be), I will say they do NOT have ALL the details covered.

Room: We stayed right by the adult pool, full ocean-view.
Positives: Room was fantastic, huge space, great view directly on the adults-only pool. Outdoor shower, space with table to dine outside, and literally a stones-throw from the pool.

***Depending what client you are (family, couple), they will clearly place you in the appropriate section. We we really pleased to be by Palm Grove (adults-only pool)

Negatives: Closet layout is bad. It's a walk-in, but very limited shelf-space. Lots of hanging space, I guess depends what your wardrobe looks like.
Noise from above: The construction of the buildings is such that you can hear the footsteps of the people above you (at least I did). Also if the guests above move their outdoor furniture, without a doubt you will hear the noise. Depending on the hour, this can be annoying (ex: 6am)
Cleaning: Cleaning was good, but the schedule was not followed properly even though they give you 3 hour windows to select from when you arrive.

Facilities:
They have everything you could possibly imagine in the sports and health department. Indoor/outdoor machines, classes, lap pool, the works. I also thought the $25pp tennis pass was a nice value, as you could use the courts multiple times/day, even for an hour $25 is pretty good.

Property:
As with the facilities the property is immaculate and has a lot to offer. There are 4 pools, and it actually feels like many resorts in 1. Adult area, is tranquil and no kids are allowed. The main pool a little more bustling. The Kids area is filled with parents and kids having a blast. The pond is also tranquil and has 4000 fish and an eagle ray for your to snorkel with.

Ocean:
I noticed someone reviewed and said there wasn't great ocean access. While I can't disagree, there is an ocean swimming area that is totally accessible and I had a great swim (with a turtle to boot). If you wear swim shoes you're good to go, and it's a good size area, couldn't ask for much more.

Food:
As always FS food was fantastic, plenty on offer for all types of moods. I was surprised the sushi restaurant ULU didn't have more robust sushi offering, but it was great all the same. I also enjoyed the Residents Club, which is a bit off the beaten path, but a very enjoyable spot to grab a more relaxed meal. Lastly I was surprised there were not more juicing options, there was only 1 juice a day and the veg juice was sitting un-refrigerated by the buffet, which I thought was weird. The buffet has some great stuff, but was an 8 not a 10. Again given scale, not sure how they could do much better without risking quality.

Service:
Overall service was excellent. I would say that given the scale of the resort, the level was not necessarily up to snuff in certain areas, and there were unmemorable service aspects.
I did have a negative occurrence while at the resort, I won't go into specifics, however, it was dealt with adequately, albeit not in a super timely manner.

Location:
The physical area is amazing as I mentioned in the property section, and according to FS the Hualalai area has the best weather, which I can confirm. All around us we'd see dark rain clouds but over the resort it seemed to always be sunny, it was really something to marvel at. If you want to get out and go see other stuff, it's not terribly difficult but the resort is 20mins from either resort area. The goal here is to keep you sticking around, and there is plenty to do on resort. The airport is conveniently located about 10 minutes away.

Overall:
Amazing place, but make sure you know what you are looking for. If it's family trip, or just a place to focus on health/fitness and relaxation, you'll enjoy this resort immensely, and feel your money was well spent. I could see how some would debate the value proposition here, hard not to @ 1k/night minimum.... but the place is completely full, I'm guessing they could charge more and it wouldn't matter.

I'll add again that if you are looking for a boutique like experience as far as the property, service, and even the buffet to a certain extent, this is not going to suit you. It's a rather large resort with lots of things going on, they can't really customize the experience.

Room Tip: If you're a couple with no kids you must request the Palm Grove area, if not the Beach Tree area...
1  Thank WBS78
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I have no idea why you would stay here unless you had kids to entertain/distract and/or were too old to enjoy anything real about Hawaii.

There is no swimmable sandy beach - several great pools - just like resorts NOT on islands. It is on the coast, of course, but a rocky, lava-y coast that is rather treacherous.

There are tons of things to do - just like resorts all over - and there are water activities to pay extra for but you can't really go swim in the ocean that beckons.

Our room was never made up before 4 p.m. - despite requests otherwise - so service is inconsistent - and it's expensive as you may have noticed.

And it's dead at 8 p.m - no nightlife - no pools open - no nothing.

It may be THAT much better than the other resorts surrounding it - we didn't check - but I suspect unless you like knowing you are at the fanciest place possible (and like others knowing it was well) and have kids or are too old to have kids or to walk on uneven surfaces...then I would recommend other options on the island.

[Admission: we are NOT resort people in general and were just staying there for a few days before we could go to our rental house. If there were a sandy, swimmable beach that was rather kick-@$$, I'd go 4 stars (or circles or whatever) - but for the price, I wouldn't understand 5 ever.]

Room Tip: Go to another resort.
4  Thank JonThomasChicago
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We just returned from a week stay at the incredible Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu. We actually rented one of the residences which I recommend for larger families. I have three children (ages 5, 8 and 10) and we met my parents and uncle and aunt, who live in SF. We flew a long way from Boston, but it was well worth it. First off, we were met by the Four Seasons at Kona airport. We were quickly shuttled to the rented house and met by yet another employee who showed us around the very wonderful house. It was a three bedroom house with a guest house with another bedroom and bathroom. It was impeccably clean and had everything we might have needed including an infinity pool and outdoor showers for every bathroom. They had also provided grocery list prior to our arrival and everything I had asked for was there. The house also included two golf carts which we used daily to drive down to the main Four Seasons resort. The fitness facilities are incredible. The machines are top of the line, there were classes however we never took any of them. There is a little "Trading Post" that has amenities, food, wine and sundries. There are two pools. One mainly for families and the other for adults only. The seats however are hard to come by. You have to get down there pretty early to get decent ones. The beach is alright. It is very rocky however a big highlight was seeing huge turtles lying on the rocks, basking in the sun. It is the Four Seasons, so it certainly isn't cheap. One glass of wine down at the pool was $17 and most sandwiches were over $25 which is somewhat ridiculous. You'd think they might give some more range of options. The service is very good and the concierge was extremely helpful. One day it rained and we didn't want to be cooped up in the house, so I called the concierge and within 10 minutes I had a rental car! All I had to do was get to the front desk and fill out the necessary forms. All the restaurants were great. We especially liked the Beach House which is primarily for residents and golf members but if you call after 3pm you can sometimes get a reservation. It was smack down on the beach and the food was incredible. The sunset was perfect and the kids loved to play on the beach while the adults enjoyed our drinks. One thing I have to complain about is the room service if you rent a house. They have it, but they don't deliver which seemed strange to me as there were at least 7 people working at the front desk/valet area. One of us had to drive down to the lobby to pick it up. I would think that with what you are paying, they would have food delivery for the houses. Finally, our last day was made even more perfect when we were told that we could stay in the house until 8:30pm (we had a 10:30 red eye back). This made it so much easier with the three kids. All in all, it was a near perfect vacation and even if it is a far trip for us, I would do it again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Aloha from Hualalai,

Mahalo for taking the time to write such a beautiful review of your visit to our resort with your family. I agree that it is nice that our guests have the option of staying in the hotel or renting a villa or house and I am happy to hear that you made a great choice for your family. You paid us the highest compliment when you commented that even though it is a great distance to travel from Boston, you would do it again! We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Absolutely wonderful stay. The staff was universally friendly and went above and beyond to be helpful. Would highly recommend staying there for anyone. Best place to stay. They seem to separate the adults from the families which make for a better stay.

Room Tip: Absolutely get an ocean view room. They seem to separate the adult only from the families which mak...
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We actually stay at the hotel four times, with my wedding 1/2010, baby moon 7/2011, and with our first born son 8/2012 and 2/2013. (put 3/2013 since there is no choice) We now relocated to Singapore from Tokyo so very hard to visit there, but it was the most wonderful place on earth. From Wedding Experience, Hotel Room, Service, Restaurants, Bar, Spa, and GOLF, I was just 100% satisfied with everything. They never upset me nor apologise since they were just PERFECT.

Room Tip: Beach/Pool View Villa
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank rihwapon
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We divided our 12 day vacation on the Big Island between three resorts. The rainforest in the Volcano Village lodge, the Mauna Kea for its white sandy beach, and last but not least the wonderful Four Seasons resort well known for its amazing property and excellent service.
We enjoyed a great upgrade to an ocean front suite (2911) with very large lanai overlooking the adult pool in the Palm Grove crescent. Very quiet and peaceful. We liked the second floor, it seemed just a little bit more private and offered a great view of the pool and the ocean. We could see the whales from the balcony. We had four restful nights at the resort, loved the beautiful landscaping, especially after driving around the Island and seeing the barren ground all around.The days were perfect too, this is a perfect oasis, offering every comfort imaginable. We divided our time between the adult pool in the Palm Grove,( less than 30 loungers, so they are pretty strict about your comings and goings) and the Beach Tree quiet pool. More chairs there, same rules. The loungers on the sand facing the ocean were plentiful and we retreated there later in the afternoon for a change in scenery. We never felt the same pressure here competing for seats as we did last year in Four Seasons in Maui. We had a nice leisurely buffet breakfast every morning. I especially loved the raspberries and blueberries. Special thanks to Hauoli for making us feel so welcome.
On our last night, walking back from dinner, we encountered an astronomy expert with a huge telescope standing on the beach in the dark. We lined up to get a glimpse of the planet Saturn. First time for me to see another planet and so it was pretty special!
Besides having the breakfast at the Ulu restaurant every morning, we had our first and last dinner there too. We also had dinner at the Beach Tree. We only left the resort for dinner once and had a nice sunset dinner in Kona (Huggos).
It was our pleasure to meet with Gabriela and reminisce about Prague. If we lived closer, we would definitely be back soon!

Room Tip: Rooms in the Palm Grove are very quiet. Second floor is more private and has better views, but the a...
9  Thank Wenovo

Aloha,

Even though you mentioned that you must travel a great distance to vacation on the Big Island, I hope you will start planning to return as soon as possible. You chose three perfect resorts and truly got to experience the best our little slice of paradise has to offer. I am as thrilled as you are that you got to see Saturn in all its glory through the star-gazing telescope, that we were able to provide an upgraded accommodation and that our staff went above and beyond to make you feel welcome. We look forward to welcoming you back many times in the future.

Executive Administrative Assistant

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
13 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai? Share your experiences!