“Unforgettable Honeymoon! Beautiful property and staff that will blow you away!”

Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed 6 nights at the Four Seasons Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu from July 31st to August 6th.

Our experience with this amazing hotel started well before we arrived, having made a booking we contacted the hotel and let them know that we will be spending a big part of our honeymoon at the property and kindly asked for a complimentary honeymoon upgrade, off course subject to hotel's discretion and availability.

Additionally concierge got in touch with me regarding activities and sent me a very detailed e-mail about things to do on the island and has kindly offered to make bookings of activities on my behalf. After a series of e-mails back and forth, the concierge team booked a snorkelling experience, a submarine and helicopter experience for us!

Dealing with concierge and not the service providers directly saved a lot of time and at the end of the process concierge team have put together an itinerary for us, with key dates, times, locations, directions so that we had the information that we needed to hand.

In the airport we were greeted by one of the Four Seasons greeters that went to fetch our luggage for us and within a couple of minutes of our arrival we were comfortably seated in the taxi van that was kindly arranged for us by the concierge.

Upon arrival we were greeted by one of the front desk staff named Jason, who offered us a refreshing drink as well as helped us check in at the comfort of a sofa in a personal, private environment, he also said that since we are on honeymoon and as per our e-mail request we will be upgraded from a basic room to the beautiful ocean view room.

From reception we were put on a golf cart and one of the bell staff drove us to our room, where we were greeted with a note from Jason and a selection of fruits and cheeses as a gift for our honeymoon. The room was clean, large with own outdoor shower! Very good, simple but elegant design.

For 6 days in the row we had the most amazing experience of our life.

The property is huge and has several beeches, from rocky to sandy, from busy to private and secluded, it has two golf courses and a sea-water swimming pool with over 3000 fish of 75 different species that you can swim with, snorkel, there is even an eagle ray that you can sign up to feed :)

Ohh the staff, they are all so kind and eager to help, eager to learn about you, eager to start a conversation and make your stay unforgettable, and I must tell you they did. Edwin working at the bell desk helped us out a million times, a very kind, softly spoken, educated gentleman who we are largely thankful to.

The Ulu restaurant at the property was very nice, the japanese cuisine with a local Hawaiian twist was great particularly all the tuna dishes which are an absolute must try. Average meal for two without wine at the property will cost you around $60-$120 bucks.

Generally the resort is probably the best of the best, very private not many people, very closed and exclusive (the most expensive resort on Hawaii). A best honeymoon destination for sure, a good destination for couples and family, kids will have a blast!!!

Great hotel, great staff, great experience!

Thank you guys!

Room Tip: Get the ocean view room by the King's Pond
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Igor K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (821)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed here for 5 days at the start of August, although we heard the hotel was at 97% capacity it was always easy to find a lounger on the beach or by the pool of choice. The food was good, the best place for cocktails was at ULU sitting by the fire pit. We had two partial ocean view rooms near the family pool, they were well located and we enjoyed being able to walk out onto the grass to the different restaurants/pools. The staff were all very friendly and they have enough staff for them to be able to speak to you properly.

Highlights: mango rum popsicles by the main pool in the afternoon - better than the little nuggets of ice-cream coated in chocolate served in the morning, salmon flatbread at breakfast, good sushi.

We enjoyed the Tuscan evening at the Beach restaurant, delicious Tuscan bread and main courses. My daughter really liked the ice-cream balls served with dry ice.

I went for a walk 3 mornings with the personal trainers at 7am, this is a really good way to see the resort and they were both lovely - very knowledgeable and interesting. I also used the gym equipment and stretch area, both excellent. The lap pool was quiet and I enjoyed using that too. The ½ basketball court was fun and there is also a climbing wall which we did not use.

Having access to a washing machine & dryer made my life easier, there are a few scattered around the hotel grounds in the same building as ice machines.

We went to the Luau but it wasn't really our thing, I wouldn't go to one again & I don't think I could recommend it. The food sounded good but somehow going to a large buffet isn't really my thing, too much walking around and the lines were long, the tuna & octopus poke was probably the best thing I ate. They charged the same for my 13 & 16 year olds who obviously cannot drink alcohol and adults for whom alcoholic beverages were included which I felt was unreasonable. I asked the front desk why they operated this policy and she said they would come back to me but no one has (one week later). The luau was $165 each so you can understand my querying the cost for teenagers. My husband & son did not go to the Luau and I am glad I did not try to persuade them to join us.

The breakfast buffet was well managed with 3 staff replenishing the dishes so the food always looked fresh. At the weekend there was a crepe bar but the chefs cooking had not been successfully trained in preparing them and the crepes were disappointing, the batter was too thick so they tore and the pans too small.

Overall a lovely place and we saw turtles resting on the beach. We dived on two afternoons and also went on a helicopter tour. The hotel has a very relaxed style and we were very pleased that my husband and son did not have to wear jackets or even collared shirts.

Room Tip: We enjoyed having a ground floor (partial ocean view) room as it meant we could access it from both...
Green Features: I was pleased the air conditioning shut off when the room's sliding doors are open. There is no attempt at reusing towels. I liked having a water jug placed by my bed each evening.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank fiflippy68
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Greetings from Hualalai!

Thank you for the lovely, descriptive review of your recent vist to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai. With all the activities you enjoyed, I am happy to hear that you still found time to relax with the turtles on the beach! We hope you and your family will return many times in the months and years to come when we will do our best to build another great family vacation memory for you.

Folsom, California
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed there for a wedding, and the weeklong stay was incredible. From the moment we checked in (the greeters offer you a cool towel, cold mai tai, and chilled piece of pineapple while you fill in the paperwork), to the moment we checked out, we felt welcomed and relaxed. Within a few minutes, every member of staff called us by our names, and chatted to us about the phenomenal location and history of the resort. There are several pools, each different in nature and appeal (kid friendly, adults only, large groups, snorkeling, etc), with each having either swim up bars or attentive staff taking drink orders. You can even have a massage by the pool. The landscaping is mature and lush. The sports activities are varied and well thought out for adults and children. The rooms were fantastic - both in size and views. The cultural center offers a fantastic program - all free, teaching ukelele playing, lei making, learning to speak Hawaiian, etc. Didn't play golf, but heard from friends staying there that the course is forgiving and unhurried. The wedding ceremony arranged by the resort was phenomenal - chandeliers hanging from palm trees, cocktails and appetizers served while photographs taken, the officiator was an authentic Hawaiian spiritual guide, and made the experience one of a kind.

Room Tip: If you are a couple, take the rooms overlooking the Palm Grove pool - adults only. If you have a fam...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Rheba C, Executive Office at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Greetings from Hualalai!

I am happy to hear that your week-long stay at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai was "incredible." It appears that you experienced a lot that our resort has to offer, but you must return to play golf. The course is beautiful with just the right amount of challenge. Weddings are always joyful occasions and (I might be a bit biased) but I think Hualalai is an ideal, romantic spot to start a married life.

We hope you will return again and again as a wedding guest or for a relaxing vacation. Please let me know if there is ever anything I can do to assist you.

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel and all rooms are spacious and got the best views of ocean the check in procedure was very smooth with flower greeting ... When in four seasons you will experience nice surprises :) ulus dinner was the best , beach is very nice and good snorkeling in the pond

Stayed August 2014
Seoul, Korea
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I stayed in Four Seasons Hualalai during my honeymoon in July 2012. It was my first stay at Four Seasons, and we were deeply impressed at the warm hospitality of the staff and the beautiful setting of the resort property.

The resort is situated on an extensive area, encompassing the resort and also the golf course. In order to reach the hotel lobby, you need to drive more than 5 minutes from the hotel entrance gate. The resort has beautiful swimming pools and also a fish pond, where the guests can snorkel and swim with fish living in the pond. Furthermore, once you check-in, you get the opportunity to tour the property in a golf cart, with the staff explaining the lay-out in detail.

We were upgraded to a premium ocean view room as it was our honeymoon, and we could feel the sea breeze and see the waves of the Pacific Ocean. We could also enjoy the view of the main swimming pool.

The hotel breakfast buffet was the best I have ever experienced! I have experienced many high-end hotels in Korea and abroad but I could say Four Seasons in Big Island offered the best breakfast buffet. So many types of tropical and exotic fresh fruit juice were served with a kona-bean coffee, as well as extensive range of meals which I could not try in a single meal.

Due to my experience, I would definitely choose Four Seasons for any special occasions, going forward.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kkamwon
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed the last 6 days of our honeymoon at this resort and what can I say... AMAZING!
The landscape is breathtaking, the rooms are exceptional and the service is flawless.
We had an unforgettable experience and I couldn't recommend it more.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bruno M
Aloha from Hualalai!

I am so happy to hear that you spent the last 6 days of your honeymoon here at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai and that you carried a beautiful memory home with you. We hope you will visit with us often in the months and years to come, perhaps to celebrate each wedding anniversary.

New Jersey
Reviewed 11 August 2014

There is really no other way to describe this Four Seasons. We thought there couldn't be a 4S that exceeded our experience in Costa Rica, but the Hualalai location did! The food was fantastic, drinks superb, staff at the pools/restaurants/spa/check-in super-friendly. And the King's Pond was just as exciting and fun as we remember it being 15 years ago. There really is something for everyone here - from the toddler pool with sprinklers and kids' pool with hot tub, to the basketball court, rock climbing wall and the best hotel gym I've ever seen, we were so sad to leave. If Kona Village ever gets back up and running, we will have a hard time deciding between which resort to book!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Laura J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
Hilton Waikoloa Village

Been to Four Seasons Resort Hualalai? Share your experiences!