“Good in parts”
Review of Kona Tiki Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
Kona Tiki Hotel
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Reviewed 10 October 2006

I spent 6 nights at the KT and found that what had been said by many previous visitors to be true.

The Good.
I loved going to sleep to the sound of the crashing waves but can fully understand why others may find it too noisy. The waves crash against a sea wall and it is very loud. The view from the room was great. Breakfast on the poolside terrace was fine. Fresh fruit, toast, bagels, pastries, coffee etc, more that enough to set me up for the day.

The not so good.
The managers I did not find particularly friendly or helpful. It would have been nice to have been spoken to when passing in the lobby for example or when serving myself at breakfast (One of them was always sitting in the office at a desk overlooking the breakfast serving area and a simple "Good morning" would have been nice). I would have appreciated being told about beach and pool towels, coolers, books etc being available for guests to borrow.
The room was no more than adequate. The bed needed to be replaced as it had seen better days and the shower and toilet certainly needed to be refurbished. I found that the lack of Air Con not a problem the room was cool enough with the fan provided you didn't wear too many clothes going to bed.

I paid $588 for six nights.

Would I return is a bit accademic as I am 8500 miles away, so its highly unlikely, but I would probably spend a little more money and have a place with more modern facilities.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
10  Thank herm305

Reviewed 25 August 2006

Just returned from six nights at the KT. I loved the place (as did my friend) but will try to be objective.

First, this is an old-school mom and pop kind of hotel that has nothing in common with a Motel 6 or Days Inn. It's more informal, which is either great or not so great depending on your style. What this means:

-- You pay cash in advance. Since there's nothing to charge to your room, this makes life a lot easier and helps keep rates low.

-- There are 15 rooms and 14 parking spaces. The last one in for the night blocks in several cars and must leave the car keys in a lockbox -- the owners will move it in the morning if someone needs to get out. If you don't want to leave the keys, it's up to you to find a way to park; the owners will help as much as they can.

-- The room doors have basic push button locks and the sliding door to the porch has only a hook and eye latch. If you're a worrier, stay somewhere else. We were there six nights, left the sliding porch door open all night and never had a moment's trouble. Also, it's a small place. If you're in trouble, EVERYONE will come running as needed.

-- The rooms have no TVs, no phones and no air-conditioning. They'll have a dorm size fridge and may have a kitchenette; they'll have a ceiling fan to keep things moving. The carpets are clean, the beds are fine, the furniture is simple but nice. The bathrooms are small and older but get the job done; the rooms are fairly spacious and quite pleasant. It was occasionally a little warm but never hot and there was always a breeze off the water. We've stayed in five star hotels and love them, but for this trip, the Kona Tiki gave us everything we needed. We were genuinely satisfied.

-- When reviewers talk about surf noise, take them seriously. We were on the second floor and no more than 10 feet from the seawall. This is a blessing (we could look down and watch fish and turtles) and, when the surf is high, a challenge -- it's like camping on the beach. We were fine with it, but the surf really is loud, so if you sleep lightly, get earplugs or stay somewhere else.

-- The location is excellent. Only a mile from the center of Kona with easy access to sights in all directions. The view is marvelous. All rooms face the sea and often guests gathered poolside to watch the sunset. We spent evenings playing cards on the porch and just enjoying the peace.

-- The pool is small but lovely. We ended up using it for a quick dip almost every day. It's warm, salty, occasionally gets pelted with surf and is just a nice pool for cooling off a bit.

-- People are friendly. Many guests have been there before and people strike up coversations as they gather to watch the sunset or have breakfast. At the same time, you'll be given all the privacy you want -- whether you connect with other guests is entirely up to you.

-- The owners will loan you what they have -- beach towels, beach mats, boogie boards donated by previous guests, books, magazines, etc. They'll provide dinner recommendations and directions and just generally help in any way they can.

The Kona Tiki is old school. It's what makes it special to the many people who come back time and again; it's what makes it the wrong place for you if you're high maintenance. For us, it helped introduce true Hawaii style and we're sure to return.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
13  Thank MDAccount
A TripAdvisor Member
New orleans
Reviewed 27 February 2006

Good luck at getting a reservation. Regulars book this place a year (or more) in advance. We were fortunate to pick up an overlooked cancellation.

It boasts 15 units and vintage 150's concrete block construction. the parking lot is tiny, but solutions are offered. The location is great and the daily continental breakfast was an enjoyable plus.

Every room has a view and great wave sounds. For the value, it cannot be beat.

• Stayed: February 2006
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 January 2006

Well, if you're looking for 5-star luxury, look elsewhere, but if you want a clean place that won't break the pocket book, this place can't be beat. My girlfriend and I were there this past November (2005). First time for her, but 2nd time for me. Friendly staff, great ocean-side location... what more can you ask for at $72 per night?(tax included!) Loved the loaner boogie boards, coolers, beach mats and beach towels too! I'll be back again! :-)

17  Thank ksteeves
Reviewed 15 January 2006

My mother and I lucked out and stayed here for one night (we wanted to stay longer but couldn't!) in June of 2005. Our thoughts are below:

WHY WE LOVED IT!:
1) Kona Tiki's location is amazing! We had a nice, clean room on the second story with kitchenette, nice bathroom and the best balcony I've seen in Hawaii! The waves crashed all night & lulled us to sleep. They crash really close to the building so it can be a little hair-raising at times, but always amazing!
2) The lava rock patio seems like the place to hang out in the evenings, and the built-in BBQ and salty water pool are charming additions. Also, the grounds and flowerbeds were wonderfully kept.
3) Breakfast was included and we enjoyed it out on the patio. We accidentally sat at the maid/housekeeping table, who joined us for their break. They were very charming and friendly and definitely enhanced our experience at the Kona Tiki.
4) This Hotel definitely caters to the older crowd, but this means that your stay will be serene and quiet -- the only noise being the crashing waves. Ahhhh.

SOME POINTS TO BE AWARE OF:
1) At the time of our visit, you couldn't make a reservation in any other way than by contacting them far in advance and mailing them a cheque for deposit/payment. This is why we missed out on staying there longer.
2) Their parking lot is itty bitty, so parking can be quite an operation.
3) The desk staff was a little terse with us, but not at all unhelpful.

This place is a wonderful option and I highly recommend staying there -- if you can swing a reservation, that is! I feel like we would have enjoyed our stay in snooty Kona a little more had we had the opportunity to stay here a few nights longer.

Whatever you decide, have an awesome stay on the Big Island!

• Stayed: June 2005
14  Thank ChrisDaberer
A TripAdvisor Member
los angeles
Reviewed 12 September 2005

ok. we've stayed there 4 times so i think i can make a somewhat accurate review, based mostly on our last stay.

Although the nonkitchen units may still be a good deal, the kitchen units are
not in my opinion...think we paid about $115 to $120.....

good part...great location, nice people running the place
bad part.....no air conditioning,ants and bugs (don't leave any food out!), very salty pool (burned our eyes), parking can be difficult (may have to back out on to ali drive)

Bottom line...In the future,I probably would stay and one of the many condo's that are also right on the beach...they probably cost as much or are a bit more, but they come fully loaded...kona tiki hasraised the prices so
although it's probably still a good deal, it's not the deal it once was...you can get more "bang for the buck" if you shop around

• Stayed: July 2005
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 August 2005

I agree with the other reviews that this is a great hotel for some, and a bad hotel for others. It's definitely a good deal -- and very close to the ocean. If you book a room, I would definitely recommend trying to get a second-floor unit. We were on the first floor, which is much noisier. The room are definitely budget -- the bathrooms small, no television, no phone. But they are comfortable and clean. Plus, we knew what we were booking and didn't mind the basic ammenities. The primary problem for my partner was that the room was very noisy -- the ocean crashed right outside our door plus the roadway in front of the hotel has almost-constant traffic. I loved the sound of the ocean outside the room, which lulled me to sleep. I am a heavy sleeper. My partner, however, is a light sleeper and he got very little sleep the first night. We bought some earplugs the next day, and he was able to sleep much better the second night. Other than that, however, we both found the owners of the Kona Tiki Hotel gracious and helpful. The breakfast was fruit and sweet rolls, the coffee was great and it was very enjoyable to have a bite to eat while overlooking the ocean. We also both agree that the hotels is a *great* bargain, especially if you're looking to stay in the Kona area. One thing to note, though, is that if you are looking to spend most of the day at Volcano National Park, Hilo is about 2 hours closer than Kona. Otherwise, Kona is the place to be.

• Stayed: August 2005