“Best Place to Stay in Kona, Hawaii”
Review of Royal Kona Resort

Royal Kona Resort
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I would love to keep it a secret but I can't as this is the best place in Kona to stay. They treat you so well and everyone is so helpful and friendly and have a lot of Aloha Spirit. They have remodeled so the rooms are nicer and being at this hotel reminds me of old Hawaii as it has that charm that most of the big hotels do not have. They just remodeled the pool this past month as well, we were there and the pool was closed and when I mentioned it that I was bummed, the manager took great care of us, he went over and beyond my expectations! The staff made our stay so nice and relaxing!! The hotel is walking distance from downtown Kona which makes it so nice. They have a salt water lagoon which is so nice to swim and so calm as well. The restaurants at the hotel are great, the best Mai Tai you will ever have in Hawaii by far! Check in was nice and easy and very helpful staff as well. The spa there is great as well right on location and the staff there are very friendly as well. We had an ocean view room and it was perfect, the best view of the ocean by far as it is so close to the water. Every time we come to Kona this is where we love to stay as it is the best we have found we have stayed here several times now and we will continue to come back. Thank you again Royal Kona Staff for making our stay so wonderful! Aloha!

Room Tip: I would choose an Ocean View Room for sure, this is the most peaceful view and to wake up to hear th...
2  Thank Sinatralis
DofSales, General Manager at Royal Kona Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Aloha TA Crew! Another satisfied return guest, even without a swim-able pool. Nice thing is pool is done and better than ever!! Don't forget about our cool private swimming lagoon, swim safely with the fish, eels and occasional visiting Honu (green sea turtles) We don't claim to be the shiniest penny on the block, but our clean well maintained rooms, amazing views, amazing location and terrific staff say it all. Please come experience our hospitality for yourself. We'll look forward to these guests and your return! Much Mahalo,

Write a ReviewReviews (2,960)

Reviewed 4 October 2013

nice stay over to see family in kona, close to the downtown kona area for flavor as i do not like being stuck at a hotel, nice lagoon area, new swimming pool area. security staff the best, great resturants within walking distance

Room Tip: ocean view rooms do not mean all ocean view
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank dondonox

Aloha TA family, I'm glad to see a senior TA contributor had another great stay with us, enjoying our fantastic location, views and staff. Next time they come back to Hawaii Island to see their family, we'll look forward to welcoming them home here in Kona. Much Aloha!

Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

We got a fabulous deal thru our timeshare to stay here and we extended out stay another few nights . We has been here a few years ago and frankly wasn't really impressed , but they have made some great improvements including just general cleaning of the place . Checkin was painless and quick . We stayed in a huge corner king bed room in the Lagoon tower . We had a huge lanai with partial view of the ocean. Bed was comfortable and the tv was a flat screen , and we had a mini fridge for drinks . If I was nit picking I would say they could provide mini body lotion for our sun soaked skin and that the bathtubs are old , and the coffee provided in the rooms is terrible . The location to shops and restaurants couldn't be better and the cozy private beach is a good place to hang out if you don't want to go anywhere for day . The pool was being renovated while we were there do that should be lovely for a cool dip too . Don the Beachcomber is right on the grounds there open for breakfast , lunch and dinner You can't beat their oceanfront view and the food is pretty good too

• Stayed: September 2013

Aloha TA Family, nice to see a return guest noticed we've been working hard to make improvements. True, we're not the newest kid on the block, but we do strive to provide clean, well maintained rooms and grounds for all of our guests to enjoy. The pool renovation is complete, and property is looking great, come see for yourselves! Glad they had a nice time, I'm sure we'll look forward to seeing them again soon! Mahalo!

Reviewed 3 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at RK for 3 nights as part of our honeymoon in July 2011. We had an ocean view room. We did not utilize the hotel for much other than a place to sleep, as we were out exploring the island. It was nice to have a lanai looking out over the ocean and to see (and hear!!) the waves crashing into the rocks. Even with the doors shut, the ocean was STILL pounding. I thought it sounded like a thunderstorm! Having a mini fridge was convenient for drinks and snacks. Hotel met our needs but for what we used it for, was overpriced. We are trying out their sister hotel, Royal Lahaina, next month.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heatherdawn1980

Aloha TA family, better late than never! Glad these honeymooners enjoyed their time with us, the great views, sounds of the ocean, staff and location. We'll look forward to helping them celebrate their anniversary when they make it back to the islands. Mahalo!

Reviewed 2 October 2013

We stayed here for our vacation to Hawaii and all the reviews seemed to say the same thing; the place was clean but old. Now I don’t know about anyone else but I was not coming to Hawaii to hang out in my room so I booked our room through Costco. When we arrived we were checked in promptly by some very nice staff. We went to our room to unpack and we were pleased to be on the 6th floor. The view was amazing!

Yes, the reviews that I read talked about the décor being outdated and I do agree with that assessment. Do I care about the décor? Not in the least. The buildings are old and the general décor is cheesy as are most hotels in the area. I think it is expected to see lots of tiki type decorations and I just thought it was cute. The thing that impressed me beyond anything was just how clean everything was kept. As you can imagine the climate is very humid and that sort of humidity breeds mold and mildew. There was none anywhere that I looked. The room attendants were scrupulous about keeping everything very clean. Also the staff was very attentive to our needs and wants.

There are a couple of staff members to help book all of your extra activities and they were so patient and answered my million questions. The wait staff in the restaurant were hardworking and quick; even the parking attendant was super nice. The private lagoon was a nice bonus. We swam in the warm ocean water and were able to see many different fish and other sea critters in the lagoon. The luau was fun and the resort is just a quick walk to downtown Kailua-Kona.

I would stay here again with pleasure.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and get an ocean front room. The view is worth the small expense.
3  Thank Christina M

Aloha TA family, it's nice to see one of our guest from OR found awesome value in a package through one of our travel partners. I'm glad they enjoyed how clean and well maintained our resort is. Yes, we're old school, but that's what sets us apart from the name brands. We are Hawaiian style, great views, great staff and the best value in Kona, glad they shared, we'll see them soon too!

Reviewed 2 October 2013

We loved staying at the Royal Kona. Yes, the rooms are a little outdated but who goes to Hawaii to spend time in their hotel room? The views are unreal and the service is fantastic. Decent breakfast buffet and the luau was a ton of fun. Staff is attentive and helpful and they upgraded our room and comped our parking due to the pool being resurfaced. Pretty much everything is within walking distance as the hotel is directly on the main drag in Kailua-Kona (Alii Drive). We would absolutely recommend it and will definitely stay here again if we ever make it back to the islands!

Room Tip: Perfect location
2  Thank Lala1275

Aloha TA family, really glad to see our guests from WI had a great stay. Yes it's never a good time to close the pool, but it's renovated and looks amazing! We're glad they enjoyed our fantastic location, clean and well maintained rooms, and terrific staff. We'll look forward to welcoming them back soon! Mahalo,

Reviewed 20 September 2013

The hotel was great. Very clean and we had a great time. On top of all that, the service I received to help solve a problem was amazing. After checking out, I realized I had left some headphones in the room. Not only was I aggrevated with myself because they were expensive, I really wanted them for our return flight home. We were staying at a friends house on Oahu for the last two days before our trip home and the hotel's maintenance department not only found my headphones but agreed to mail them immediately to Oahu. I received them in time for our flight and was very happy that I didn't lose my new headphones. I can't thank the staff enough.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank green726
DofSales, General Manager at Royal Kona Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Aloha TA Family, it's great to see another satisfied customer had an enjoyable stay. I'm pleased to know we were able to send off their belongings in a timely manner, and they received them safe and sound. Remember, we're truly the best value for the best location in Kona, continuing to improve our resort for our guest to enjoy for years to come. Glad they shared! Mahalo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Kona Seaside Hotel
Kona Seaside Hotel
#5 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai

Been to Royal Kona Resort? Share your experiences!