“Fantastic view!”
Review of Royal Kona Resort

Royal Kona Resort
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We just returned from a fantastic five night stay! I really enjoyed the ocean view room. It was great to wake up and have Kona coffee on our balcony watching the waves crash! We would definitely stay here again. This is a great place to stay for a good value!

Room Tip: Get the oceanfront room it is worth the extra money!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
DofSales, General Manager at Royal Kona Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Aloha Ta family, it's great to see we've exceeded another guests expectations again. Glad they enjoyed their five night stay and the great views from our rooms, Sitting on your lanai watching the waves drinking your coffee is definitely a great way to enjoys your day. Really glad they had a nice stay, and even more so that they chose to share with us. Warmest Mahalo!

There are newer reviews for Royal Kona Resort

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This is without a doubt one of the most beautiful resorts on the island! We got upgraded to an ocean front room free of charge because we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary! The management sent us up a bottle of champagne too!The staff was very friendly and helpful. They have fruit flavored, cool water in the lobby, The gardens and decor are magnificent! The room was clean, and very comfortable. You are within walking distance of shopping, restaurants, and attractions. I highly recommend staying here. It is a great value and a wonderful place. If we are ever lucky enough to go back to The Big Island we will for sure stay here again!

Room Tip: The room we had was clean, quiet, and beautifully decorated. I highly recommend!
1  Thank Mike Y

Aloha TA family, sounds like we hit the spot with these guests! Really glad they chose to celebrate their anniversary with us, and that they had such a great experience. Although we're not the marble and glass palace some people think we are, we do go out of our way whenever possible to ensure all of our guests expectations are met and exceeded. I'm glad they shared that they had such a wonderful stay, we'll look forward to seeing them again soon. Mahalo!

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I thought the hotel itself was beautiful and the location was really great! Compared to other hotels in the area, I was happy with an ocean view room for the price. The things I didn't like so much.... it was really noisy. My room also faced the pool, so during the day (not that I was there much) I could hear pool noise, and at night either loud music that wasn't my style or people being loud at the bar. I admit I was in the room early for the night...usually by 8 or 9 because I was alone and would get up early to go explore...but always noise and closing the door didn't block much. The other thing was that the bed wasn't that comfy. it was ok, but the sheets weren't as soft as I would have expected and the blanket was super thin, so I was cold when the air was on.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Torilp

Aloha TA family, I'm glad they thought our resort was OK, and glad they thought the resort overall was beautiful and loved the location, it's too bad the activity at the pool below their room was an inconvenience. We try to ensure all of our guests enjoy their experience with us, I'm sorry we may not have with these guest. I hope they enjoyed their time on the island regardless. Mahalo!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

When we booked into this resort we thought by obtaining an oceanfront room we'd be getting something that was top of the line. What a disappointment. Though the view on one side of the room (other side looked over their maintenance shed) was beautiful we were totally disgusted with the condition of the room. The bathroom was terrible as the tub had rust all around the fixtures and there was a hole and rust in the bathtub. There was no vanity counter space to speak of except for a small area outside of the bathroom. Although the small vanity space had a sink, the only place to plug in the coffee pot was on the edge of the sink and we had to make sure it didn't topple into the sink or onto floor while brewing. The carpet in the room was not clean, but the carpet on the lanai was even worse. It was not only dirty but had holes in it. The furnishings are also outdated. The outside railing on the lanai was rusted and in poor condition. Next door to us they were renovating the room. When my wife asked one of the workers about our room they indicated it had just been renovated. Though the room was not in good condition, we spent several evenings in the restaurant/bar areas. These areas are the best features of this resort. The views from the restaurant/bar were lovely and the food/service was average. However, we will not return nor recommend this resort.

Room Tip: We would not recommend a room at this resort as we had purchased an oceanfront suite. Can't ima...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank David R

Aloha TA family, really dissapointed to know we let this guest down. I'm glad they enjoyed the great food and beverages at Don's Mai Tai Bar, but I'm concerned about the condition of their room they mention. I've sent a personal message and am awaiting their reply. Mahalo

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Hotel was adequate. Rooms were clean and staff was friendly. Great location, however, this place needs a facelift. Rooms are old and used looking. Lots of old and peeling paint. Place just looks tired. Would have expected a better result for the price. Breakfast was approx. $18 per person and fine, but not spectacular for that price. Overall, it was fine, but not what I expected for a "resort".

Room Tip: Try to book a room in the Alii tower rather than the lagoon tower. Kind of a long way to haul your...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank travelerMary

Aloha TA family, Well, I know they won't be writing home about it, but it sounds like they really had a nice time in Koan staying with us regardless. Glad they enjoyed our clean rooms, friendly staff and great location. As I say, we're not the newest kid on the block, but we do strive to provide clean well maintained rooms and grounds for our guests to enjoy. Glad they shared, glad they had a nice vacation!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We had originally booked the Hilton north of the Kona Airport but changed to the Royal Kona when we saw the resort fee at the Hilton and the reviews on how big the place was. We cancelled and switched to here. Price was not a consideration. We are glad we did. We had a good room with an astonishing view at a low price. This resort is not in the Four Seasons or even Marriott class of resort but I can't fault it for that. That is what makes this a great find. Great staff, awesome location in easy walking distance to a lot. A luau that other resorts send their people to and a bar that has great music, drinks, and food. In summary we loved it. It is tired and it needs some TLC and money for some updating but even as it is, the Royal Kona will be getting my business as long as she will be there to take it.

Room Tip: Ocean view is a must and worth every penny.
1  Thank Greg P

Aloha TA family, really nice to see such a solid review from another satisfied guest. I enjoy the fact that they appreciate our amazing resort for what we are. We're the best value for the best location in Kona, hands down. Our location on the ocean is divine, along with the close proximity to Alii Drive and all the shops, restaurants, galleries, historical sites and the Kailua Pier, Glad they love the music and food at the bar, and our friendly service, we'll look forward to welcoming them back again soon! Mahalo!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

What a great location, walking distance to Cafes and Shops.
The view from our balcony over the ocean was great especially when the spinner dolphins were cruising by.
The private lagoon is nice particularly when a turtle dropped by to visit.
Don's Mai Tai bar is a good place to relax by the sea.

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean Front not Ocean View
1  Thank Patat2567

Aloha TA family, sounds like our friends from down under had a terrific time staying with us. nailed all the great things we have to offer, from amazing views of the ocean, warm friendly staff, and the best location in Kona, definitely the best value in Kona! We're constantly working to improve our services and guest experience so all of out guests take home amazing memories, really glad they shared, mahalo!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Kona Seaside Hotel
Kona Seaside Hotel
#5 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Royal Kona Resort? Share your experiences!