“Royal Kona stole our hearts”
Review of Royal Kona Resort

Royal Kona Resort
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
Reviewed 27 March 2010

My husband and I were extremely impressed the second we walked "in" to the resort. The open air lobby is gorgeous. We came here with 30 other people for our wedding, and everything went off without a hitch! Marites at the group desk was very helpful during the planning process. We fell in love the the Royal Kona because of the old hawaii charm, you can't find that just anywhere. Our room was fantastic, in the Ali'i tower. We had the most amazing view of the ocean and kona town. One of our favorite parts about the hotel was Don's Mai Tai Bar! Great Mai Tai's and great food at decent prices. Also the hotel is in walking distance to Kona town and everything is at your fingertips. We orginally planned on staying 4 nights then moving to other resorts for our honeymoon. We couldn't leave the Royal Kona after the 4th night so we exteded our stay one more night.

On this trip we also stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa Village, and wished we were still at the Royal Kona. The hilton was nice, but a bit too much like Disneyland for us. We even returned to the Royal Kona to have lunch at Don's Mai Tai bar after we were staying at the Hilton.

This is a long overdue review! We planned our Wedding and Reception at the Royal Kona Resort. It was the perfect wedding for us, beautiful and low stress! The wedding location is gorgeous and the staff took care of everything for us. Besides choosing a day, time and menu... I didn't have to make any other decisions. I can't say enough positive remarks about the wedding planning services.

My only tip is to not book a room in the Bay Tower. I've heard bad reviews about the Bay tower, because it's the only tower that hasn't been renovated. Stick with the Ali'i or Lagoon tower and you will have no complaints. The building is old, it's a landmark! ...but that's probably part of it's Hawaiian charm, it feels authentic.

Did I mention that the sound of the waves crashing on the rocks was amazing to listen to while waking up every morning?

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank jaelyte

Reviewed 24 March 2010

We had a great stay at the Royal Kona resort.
The room was spacious, well kept and clean. The ocean view was amazing and we were at walking distance from shops and restaurants. I thought it was maybe a little pricey, but after checking other rates in Kona I realized everything there is expensive. All in all a great deal. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2010

My husband and I ended our Kona Vacation for my 50th birthday with 2 nights at the Royal Kona. We were able to check in early, and since our room was not ready, they had me view several rooms,The front desk girls were very helpful and kind. We finally settled on a larger end unit in the Ali Lagoon bldg, it had a huge lani, part of looking over the back towards mountains, the other looked at the lagoon. I was woken early in the AM to construction noise and horrilbe congestion due to dust ect.. I phoned the front desk @ 7:00am and spoke with Diane who switched us to another room in the Ali tower with out any trouble. This room was beautiful and had a large Lani overlooking the pool and Ocean, and as a bonus the Luau that evening! Earlier I called and left a message with the Manager about the previous night, and had a visit from his assistant with a card and box of Candy, and also waiving the parking fees as a courtesy. I was very impressed with the service at the Kona Resort. Yes it is alittle older, but the hotel has alot of charm, and you can not get a better view of the ocean from the pool. Would recommend this hotel and stay again!

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2010

My wife and I stayed here for two night during the Kona Brew fest. The first night we arrived at 1030pm and we spoke to the receptionist and was willing to move us but were too tired to change rooms. Besides the black moldy shower curtain and faucet, there was the overwhelming stench of vomit. The bed has seen way to many visitors as springs could be felt throughout and the comforter seemed to be washed a million times as the cotton in each cell was clumped into hard little squares. I just want to say that the view in this room was great and had a large lani that you could step over and be on the lava.

The next day we moved rooms and was upgraded to ocean front. The view was spectacular but had the same lumpy bed and bedspread and only a little mold on the handles in the shower.

Each of these rooms had very out dated furniture, some would call it rustic or old Hawaiian. But for the price paid we expected more.

The pluses for this hotel is location and view. but even more so is the outstanding staff. Everyone we spoke to was very understanding and helped in every way. They seemed to have heard this type of complaint often and made up for it with Aloha. They have wonderful people working for them.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deathoncall
Reviewed 14 March 2010

I am writing to air my disappointment in staying at The Royal Kona Resort.
Last your my friends and I stayed there, so decided to stay again this year, but this year we were all very disappointed with the conditions and also the service in the restaurant "Don the Beachcomber". When I walked into our room it smelt musky and mildewy, so I requested another room as my husband is an asthmatic. We were given another room in the Bay Tower. The hotel advertises that they have recently renovated - I certainly didn't see any.
On our first morning we wnt to Don the Beachcomber restaurant for breakfast. Firstly we had to wait 20 minutes for a table and they were not that busy, then 30 minutes before our food came, and when it came it was cold. The service was non-existant, so we never ate there again.
As hotel guests I think we shouldn't be charged for parking, alot of other hotels don't charge.
I have alot of friends who travel and they often ask me to recommend places to stay, but I will definetly not recommend this hotel.
Even when we were trying to check out we had to line up for over 37 minutes - we nearly missed out flight. As a suggestion they should have a check out counter, as they don't take as long as check ins do.
We have always enjoyed our stay on your island, but this time you didn't live up to your image.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2010

I have stayed here on a few occasions. My first trip I got the bay tower and as our last guest said it wasn't pretty. I really did not want my child touching the carpet and there were roaches at night. However, this trip I was given the lagoon tower and that has updated furnishings. My bathroom was not clean though and it was to late to change rooms at that point. The staff in the hotel were very pleasant, and although run down a great deal for downtown Kona. I think its quieter than the hotels down the road. You can walk to a great coffee shop next to the ABC store. I bid on Priceline and got a great deal! I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2010

We went to 3 islands. Out of all the hotels we stayed at this was top notch. It wasn't the fancyest or lower end. It was perfect. Everything was beuatiful. At night we enjoyed drinks by the ocean and watched the waves come in. I could have slept out there. Everyone was very nice and helpful. they had a luau right there at the hotel by the beach. You could pay to go and eat or watch from outside. the tickets to the luau are half off for quest. When I go back to Kona this is where I will stay again. My experiance there was so wonderful, I won't chance going anywhere else

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Kona Seaside Hotel
Kona Seaside Hotel
#5 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Hilton Waikoloa Village

Been to Royal Kona Resort? Share your experiences!