“ok hotel”

Castle Kona Bali Kai
Reviewed 2 October 2007

Hotel was ok. rooms were big and clean but overall hotel looks very shabby from outside. There is an expedia person sitting in the lobby so good for booking end moment sightseeings.

People complain of cockcroaches in this place but I only saw a wall lizard. I stayed for one day so managed but it would have been difficult. pool was nice but could not use it. beach is right outside the hotel so you can park the car and take few steps and will be standing on sand/rocks.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Castle Kona Bali Kai

Reviewed 10 September 2007

The title says it all. We reserved a room via Hotwire and arrived at 3PM. When we got to the room, it was REALLY run down and it was situated above some long term residents in the facility across the street from the main lobby.

The toilet did not flush so we called the office. They sent up the maid who could not fix the toilet and said that they would call maintenace. About 30 minutes later I called to ask if maintenance was coming and they said that he could not come til the NEXT DAY. I got unglued and asked them to move us to another room since they had confirmed that not everyone had checked in yet. They said that no other room was available - so the "Hotwire Room" must be the designated unit that I was in. They then told me that we could come to the lobby across the street to use their bathroom. We then checked out.

To Hotwire's credit they told me that they had no other open rooms in the Kona area so I could find my own room and they would reimburse me for it . I am now awaiting my repayment for the room I rented at the Sheridan (for only $20 dollars more). Hotwire also gave me a $25 credit for my next booking.

Hotwire seems to be a pretty good outfit and I was lucky that I could find my own room. Castle Kona Bali Kai has terrible service. For $20 bucks more go to the Kona Sheridan for the clean room, the pools and restaurants.

4  Thank deckclass
Reviewed 9 September 2007

The stay at this "resort" wasn't bad. The customer service was terrible, no one would answer the phone during business hours, we tried to check in early and got a very curt "we're full" Just a little pointer, don't fly in early if you don't have anything specific planned before check-in. We ended up sleeping in the rental car.

The pool was actually nice, if you don't mind people looking down at you,( it is sandwiched in the middle), but even if you were at a beach or a public pool, you wouldn't expect any less. It's close enough but not too far from main Kona strip.

The room was better than we expected, a studio partial ocean view. Full kitchen, AC, a little lanai, cable if you get stuck in your room... Somewhat clean, everything else but the floor was clean. Couldn't walk around barefoot, our feet would get stained with dirt. It was like they didn't bother sweeping or mopping. No bugs, but be careful if you take small children, they have pesticides under the kitchen sinks.

Make sure you put your parking pass in your car, because even though you "register" with them, they don't bother to check if you are a guest. We got a warning, I would have been so mad if the car was towed.

So, if you don't expect much by the way of customer service, you shouldn't be too disappointed with your stay here. We stayed in room #168.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sun4flower
Reviewed 26 August 2007

We were a little aprehensive about this condo after reading the reviews on this board. It isn't a new or flashy condo but it's a great value. It was clean, well maintained, friendly staff, great location and had secure parking as close as possible to the condo's. Our unit (#418) came complete with boogie boards, cooler, beach chairs and mats and lots more. The sound from the surf wasn't a problem at and the sunsets were great. We would definitely stay here again. P.S. they were finishing replacing all the exterior carpeting so many people have complained about in these boards.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank bohutch
Reviewed 8 August 2007

I was disappointed with this condo. Our unit was not ready until 2 hours after the designated check-in time of 3pm....the unit was fairly "worn-out and old." The furnishings should have been updated....the bedhead had a pillow jammed between it and the wall...to prevent it rattling! The screendoor on the balcony keep coming off its track and the bathroom sink taps leaked. We had to keep the windows shut and run the air/con because of the heaving traffic noise . We booked a room with a 'partial ocean view' which we got but the condo unit was not on the ocean side but across the road and we had a very small view of the surf. This section of the complex must have been last on the cleaning roster because of the 4 days that we stayed, it was cleaned only once. We had to ask for the kitchen rubbish to be taken away (at 6pm) and for clean towels on two other days! The kitchen was tiny but had a huge fridge and good range of small applicances. As we didn't spend much time in the unit except for breakfast and sleeping, it was bearablebut I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank happytraveller3638
Reviewed 7 August 2007

For two weeks we stayed at Kona Bali Kai in room 416 rented from the owner. It was nicely remodeled and right on the ocean. This was our first time staying in a condo and not a resort hotel and we really enjoyed it. The building is some what rundown and the pool is less than desireable, but once we were in our room we were very comfortable. The buidling has a security guard and we never felt unsafe. It was a good deal. I did not like all the traffic on Alii Dr. and would advise against walking on it unless really early in the morning.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peyton_7
Reviewed 20 July 2007

12 day spur of the moment trip, glad I went but...
Desk clerks were friendly but smiles there seem few and far between. I received an upgrade in rooms when I called down to the desk minutes after checking in to tell them the screen slider at the sliding glass door had been kicked out and damaged beyond repair. Housekeeping is just 'okay'. I don't like finding someone else's hair in my bathroom when I check in. Makes me wonder what else is undone or half done.
There was on going construction at this time, not too much noise but every morning at 6:15 a construction worker would sit on the lava rock that juts to the ocean having coffee and a smoke. That's no big deal. The big deal is that he would turn and visually scan the sliding doors and windows every ten seconds to peer in where there was movement. Caught him looking into my second floor unit as I exited the shower. I stared back at him and he diverted his gaze back to the ocean for the balance of his morning break. I complained to the front desk and nothing was done. Want some perv looking at you, or your wife, or kids? Close the blinds you say, it's oceanfront! It takes a concerted effort to be peepin in. Nuff said.
Small roaches in the kitchen; but that is expected in the lower end places that don't manage pest control well. The pool is sandwiched between the buildings which is crummy for families with kids that use the pool.
Big question... would I stay there again? No.
Like I said the trip was spur of the moment and if you don't plan in advance you get whats left on the market.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank Gentrytravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel
#8 of 13 in Waikoloa
Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff
Outrigger Royal Sea Cliff
#8 of 36 in Kailua-Kona

Been to Castle Kona Bali Kai? Share your experiences!