“Amazingly BAD”
Review of Kona Islander Inn

Kona Islander Inn
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Horrible. This is not a hotel, it's a condo building with units that are all privately owned, some are occupied by long-term renters and families. The unit we stayed in smelled like mildew/mold we had to use air freshener to be able to stay in the room. Bought a pillow and sleeping bag to sleep on the bed. The room looked old, tired and washed out furniture. Extra small shower, toilet we had to use the kitchenette as bathroom sink, because it had no bathroom sink. The hot water in the shower didn't go off at night, no people on property from 8 pm - 8 am, so the water ran fro 9:30 pm until 10 am the next morning. No answer on the emergency numbers. I requested a room change but that room was just a disgusting and smelly, so we decided to stay put (1 night) since we put all our effort in wiping things down and spraying air freshener. Construction from 7 am- 5pm next to our side of the building and this might be going on for a few more months.
The grounds are nice and mature trees, small pool for 100 rooms, No housekeeping service you have to pay separately for that, ocean right across the road, but the beach is about a 10 min. walk.
Better spend a bit more for a real hotel.

Room Tip: just go to a HOTEL down or up the road
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Natascha v

Reviewed 30 May 2014

After reading so many bad reviews, I was worried about the unit I reserved (through VRBO vacation rentals); however, no worries at all! Bear in mind that each unit is a condo individually owned and furnished and supplied individually. Oahu unit 337 has been remodeled and has a lovely kitchen and bath area. This is a studio unit and has a very comfy Murphy pulldown bed that sleeps no more than two. Yes I had to buy toilet paper and other items as needed, but dish soap, garbage bags, small bar of soap, and coffee filters were there, at least on my arrival. Easy walk to nearby restaurants and tourist shops and a local ABC grocery store for essentials to at least get you started. Parking space is terrible and hard to find, so I left my rental car parked at the condo and walked a lot. In hind sight I should have foregone the rental car, taken a taxi to the condo, and done tours to the volcano, Hilo, etc., but that's just me. Again, Oahu unit 337 is great but can't recommend the others.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Spacecoastfloridagal
Reviewed 22 May 2014

One of the worst travel experiences ever. Room was in horrible condition and staff was rude and insulting. While in Kona we booked two rooms at the Kona Islander Inn & Hotel a few days in advance of our stay. Although I asked to see a room I was told that there were none available to inspect. Upon arrival later in the week, we found both rooms to be totally unacceptable – badly stained carpets, blackish smudges on walls, overall just in a totally rundown condition with one room having a nonworking air conditioner. When I complained about the rooms I was told that – although the person who took the reservations should have said more about room condition – it was my responsibility to ascertain the conditions. When I complained further that I tried to inspect a room but was not allowed to do so, I was told I should have seen a sign in their lobby stating that room ratings varied from 1 star to 4 stars (interesting that the “sign” is not posted in the office where people fill out registrations and bookings. When I further pointed out that that is not something I have ever had to do in my 40+ years of travel I was told that I was being rude and needed to leave the office until I was escorted out. AVOID THIS HOTEL IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.

Room Tip: Pick any other hotel in Kona.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Kathryn G
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed for five nights and it was super. Lovely complex with pool, bbq etc... It was very clean and had everything we needed. The location is superb - as you walk out the back gate you are on the beach. Would highly recommend it. Close to restaurants and the trolley bus. Great wifi as well.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank catherine H
Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed there from 4/30/14-5/7/14 and I am so glad we did! It was a perfect location to everything in downtown Kona and right across the street from the ocean! I fell asleep to the sound of ocean waves every night--so relaxing! The bed was comfortable, and there were extra blankets and pillows in the closet just in case. The condo was clean with cute decorations. AC worked fine, but really didn't need it since the breeze off of the ocean cooled the place down enough. The condo came with everything we needed too. It even had coolers, snorkel equipment, boogie boards, and beach chairs for when we went to the various beaches in the area. The pool and hot tub at the resort were nice, and I loved the tiki torches that were all around the place. The Inn's landscaping was very beautiful too! There were ginger, plumeria, and banana trees everywhere. We were even able to eat some of the bananas right off one of the trees. Also, we didn't have any problems checking in or out. The front desk and security personnel were friendly enough. The owner of the condo, Rick, was very nice and he made the rental process extremely easy. All-in-all, I am very happy we choose to stay there and would definitely recommend it to others. I hope to be able to stay there again someday!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Yessica8
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I booked with Gayle and all was well till I PAID! A long review but will save unpleasant surprises for whoever books here.
The intial correspondence quoted a reduced total rate with ‘out- cleaning’ fees and taxes and also mentioning in upper case that they were waiving the upfront $250 damage deposit, with signed waiver (no explanation so I thought they would give written paperwork waiving the deposit). I want to make it clear that I have never in all my travels (quite extensive) stayed in a place that charged ‘out cleaning fees’ but since this seemed the norm here I had no choice. Deposits are okay but usually they are a swipe on your card or cash deposit released on checkout. They said they would send confirmation papers after I paid which normally means the paid booking voucher.
Once I paid, I was sent a sales receipt and a policy sheet that I was to sign and return. Now comes the clarification on the security deposit. I am given options to either purchase a non refundable insurance, pay upfront deposit (refundable after 7-14 days) or give credit card info with all sensitive data! The moment I seek clarification not only does the email font size change but also the tone! Anyway after many such emails back and forth (almost hostile from Gayle) it was settled by my giving relevant card details. I understand and appreciate rules and regulations but they must be clear before accepting payment…disclosing partial information is equal to misleading and cheating!
And I wish they had refunded my money when we had the disagreement instead of turning hostile. I was looking forward to seeking local information from the place I stayed in but there was no way I would approach Gayle.
The next surprise is when they send me the room details a few days before check in. Now they say the ‘out cleaning fee’ does not cover daily dishes, daily towel usage and garbage disposal. And on the last day you are supposed to strip the sheets off the bed and put it in a pile with the morning towels! Since there is no daily cleaning service I can understand the dishes, but towels were too much! Also, there is no chute for garbage disposal…you need to take it to the corner of the property which wasn’t told in their instructions and we had to find out there. I want to clarify at the risk of sounding pompous that I do not do these tasks at home so doing them on a holiday is not something I am looking forward to. Not to mention the time wasted sitting in the laundry while you here on a short time! We just ended up using our own beach towels. The condo with all its do’s and don’t’s was a complete waste.
On the day we arrived, since they couldn’t confirm early check in, we left for the volcano straight from the airport and were at the condo only at 10.30pm. Surprise! No parking! When we call Ellen, she is again very curt and asks us to park on the road. She seems not to understand where we are as this property has entries from both Alii drive and the Kuakini Highway. We managed to get parking inside the premises only once during our 3 night stay.
Also, inspite of the out cleaning fee, the coffee machine was dirty with residue from the previous user, the ice box in the closet was stinking and had some residue as well. Needless to say, didn’t look beyond it. Oh one more thing, there is no wardrobe, just a broom closet with hangers!!
Must give credit where it is due – room was clean with a nice view from the lanai, bathroom ok but had leftover shampoo, bath lotion. Only one bar of soap in the room so get your own. No wash basin so you have to use the kitchen sink to brush which did not drain very well.
Didn’t end up using any resort facility so can’t comment but looked a decent enough place with lots of plants and greenery around.
It could have been a good stay but unfortunately the booking process and Gayle’s attitude ruined it all for us. Not expected from people in hospitality industry with a sizeable experience of 12 yrs as claimed!

Room Tip: depends on individual condo owners. rooms are also handled bu the resort separately.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank worldiscoverer
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and liked it for its location and the price.
It's a quick walk to all the restaurants, bars, fresh fruit/veg market and the beach.
The room was comfortable and convenient to have basic kitchen facilities (no stove) albeit a little weird to share the kitchen and bathroom sink/vanity, not a problem for us.
Would have liked wifi in the room but once again wouldn't stop us from staying here again as it is so close to everything.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple