“Kona Magic Sands #303”
Review of Kona Magic Sands

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
Kona Magic Sands
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The apartment is a large studio apartment with gorgeous Lanai looking out to the ocean. It was definitely a treat to sit on the Lanai sipping cocktails or champagne every evening, looking at the beautiful sunsets - it was quite dreamy. During the day, you can see the colorful fishes right beneath you and they swim in the waves.

The room is very clean and updated with stainless steel kitchen appliances and granite counter tops. The room has hardwood floors and no carpet, which we liked. The bed is a full size bed, which was fine for us, but if you are two larger people, this might be a problem.

Generally, I was pleased with the room, but was not too happy with the ant problem. Despite being on the 3rd floor it had serious ant issue that required us to be extra vigilant. Per owner’s direction, we stored everything from bread to chips in our fridge. We are not messy people but we had to be our toes, constantly wiping down after breakfast, cocktails, dinners. It was a bit of buzz kill for a vacation. You couldn't leave out any thing – not even medication! On the first day, I accidentally left out my pills on the counter and when I came back from a day of fun, it was covered with ants. It was unbelievable.

The unit has a very pretty shower with glass doors. Now if you have glass encased shower/tub, you might be aware of this, but these glass walls & door of the shower requires extensive squeegee- towel dry treatment after every use. If you are not used to the squeegee routine, you might find it annoying! (again, bit of a buzz kill)

Being RIGHT on the ocean did have its set of unique problems…during the night (and probably due to rough winter surf), the sound of the waves are incredibly loud. Yes, there is an AC, but I preferred natural breeze so we left our soundproof sliding doors slightly opened. This meant being woken up every hour or so by sounds of the waves. It reminded me of a parade of giant garbage trucks! First night back in NYC, I actually said, “hey, this apartment is quieter than the apartment in Kona!”

Overall, we had a good stay. I wish the ants weren't there and we had gone during clamer ocean season.

Location is great. It's far enough from the cruise boat crowd in downtown Kona and close enough for several restaurants and supermarkets. We liked the KTA, Sack-n-Save in Kona for fresh whole fish.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank M Y
There are newer reviews for Kona Magic Sands

Reviewed 5 January 2014

This a a great convenient condo with everything that you need. The kitchen and bathroom are stocked with supplies and the large lanai has great views of the ocean in the mornings and evenings. I found the afternoon sun too hot (it is the on the top floor with little shade) but that is a great time to go use the pool downstairs. The magic sand at the beach next door had disappeared when we were there in December. If we were stay again again I would avoid late Dec to March so that we can enjoy the beach! The best was the comfortable tempurpedic mattress and hearing the ocean at night. There is also a small washer/dryer so you don't need to go to the laundry room and the Wifi access was great. The stove is electric which I never really got the hang of and I would bring your own knives if you plan to cook. All in all it was a great home base to explore the east coast of the island. Nearby stores are not walking distance so you need to have your car. It was nice to have the restaurant downstairs when we didn't feel like cooking or driving.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This hotel appears on the outside like all the others in Kona but once inside the condo was fantastic. We had a great view of the ocean and a small beach to the left and a park on the right. The price is affordable but the best perk of the room is it's location. The beach located next door has some fantastic snorkeling. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jbethany446
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We stayed at the KSM 303 and this was the ideal location to stay on the big island. You have the best beach on Kona next to you so you don't have to worry about finding parking. Even the snorkel tours bring their people here. The room is fully loaded with a kitchen and full refrigerator. But more importantly it has air conditioning. Shopping is just a few miles away. This is one of only a few units that has a balcony so you can enjoy the sun sets each night.

Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank kpdbennett
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Paradise on a budget!

I love the Big Island and especially Kona; fell in love with it 40 years ago on my honeymoon. The Big Island has, surprisingly, not changed too much over all those years. Although, like everywhere else, there has been some development. None-the-less, it is still a little piece of heaven and I try to get back at least once a year.

I dive and for many years dove with Dive Maki, but unfortunately the original family owned business was bought out by a mainlander who drove it into the ground. I have tried Jacks and they are good but I would also highly recommend Big Island Divers (same dive sites for less).

I personally like to rent condos and have tried a variety of properties over the years. I have stayed at Kona Magic Sands a couple of times before and always liked the location. There aren’t a lot of beaches in Kona and this property is right next door to one of the nicest ones. Note: nice night dive with super easy access from the beach.

The complex, in general, is nice with the usual amenities; however, the quality of the units varies from one to the next (if you are not too picky you can get some good deals). There are probably 2 or 3 dozen units total but only 8 of them have outside balconies (they call them lanais in Hawaii). The top 4 are opened and nice but the lower 4 are covered and a little dark for my tastes.

This year I splurged and rented one of them (Unit 303). It is on the top, 3rd, floor so you have a large open lanai and you’re practically standing over the ocean. Sitting out on the lanai you can watch dolphins and turtles at almost any time. The constant surf provides a pleasant backdrop and you can see an amazing amount of reef fish just by looking down into the water, we call it porch diving.

There is large table and umbrella for al fresco dining, a lounge chair and some other seating out there so it is all very comfortable.

The unit inside is very nice, everything looks new. It is kind of laid out like a large hotel suite, very roomy. My wife really really liked the place (she has not always appreciated some of my previous choices).

There is a big screen TV, which I never turned on, but I did use the WiFi all the time which was pretty fast (looks like a cable modem)

The kitchen appliances, like everything else, looked new and we seemed to find everything we needed. We brought our Costco card and packed the fridge, so we pretty much ate in, or packed lunches to go most of the time. The farmers market is on Wednesdays and great place to get local food cheap. BTW the fish at Costco is really good but I think the best fish can be bought at Safeway which is near the local Walmart.

The money we save eating in let us try some of the very nice restaurants on the island, although my taste tends towards joints for the locals we did hit one of the multi start resort restaurants north of the airport, I forget the name now - the meal was forgettable too. My advice is save the money and go to the Big Island Grill! And to be honest the Mahi-Mahi dinner at Denny’s ain’t too bad.

There is a restaurant on the property, although I didn't try it this trip. Tried it years ago and it was okay but it looks like it is under new management now. Something to try next year.

There was a washer/dryer in the unit which as divers came is real handy; because after a dive
almost everything comes back wet.

We rented thru VRBO and communication with the owner was quick and easy. My wife wants to re-rent the same unit next year which is fine by me - now I just have to find some cheap flights.

Room Tip: I would stay away from the 301 and 201 units (i stayed in 201 years ago). They are nice because they...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Leroy J
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Physically the KMS Kona Magic Sands Property 303 VRBO Property # 373935 met our expectations and I liked the firm bed. We got off to a rough start because I never received the check in/ lock box details and we had to problem solve with remote management to get into the condo. Don't expect an Aloha welcome from Stateside management. After dialing 5 different numbers with no one answering, I was able to get a hold of co-owner Jerry McConnell in Denver. After receiving multiple correspondences from Jerry, I was surprised to be phone screened by Jerry like I was some stalker, after convincing Jerry I was a customer, he warmed up. Even though Jerry's name is all over the owner correspondence, he wasn't able to give me the lock box code to get in. Sonia is the "hands on" owner and got back with us after her flight landed. Apparently multiple email addresses (3) during the process added to mix up. Don't expect any apologies for lack of service, the owners clearly think the customer is to blame. It is frustrating when someone has your payment in full and you spend half of your first day figuring out how to get in. According to local restaurant staff I guess it's a common event at KMS, luckily the seaside restaurant is a nice place to pass the time waiting. If we can save any future customers some telephone tag, Sonia's cell is 609 651 5801. Once you get a hold of her, she is responsive. As I said, the property is nice, but the owners are remote (possibly overloaded) and challenged to respond to customer needs on a timely basis. FYI, beware there are definitely some process disconnects between VRBO communications and the owners.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Taoze
Reviewed 10 July 2013

have dreamed of a tropical vacation for many years and finally for our 25th wedding anniversary we decided on Hawaii. After researching all the "fancy resorts" and having sticker shock for an ocean view I came upon Kona Magic Sands unit 314. The owners were very helpeful and extremely quick in response to my email questions prior to making our reservation. They even sent me a CD about the islands! Now to unit 314... when we first walked in my husband dropped our bags stunned at the phenomenal view. He said he could not believe the quality and the amazing view for the price. The unit was clean, beautifully and tastefully decorated. There were beach chairs, boogie boards and coolers for our use. We could not have asked for a more amazing place to spend our anniversary. One of the best parts of this location is the beach next door. The surf was manageable and fun. If you did not want to body surf you could wait for smaller waves, swim out a few feet and bob with the waves. We even met "Gertrude" the sea turtle that joined us in the evenings. The locals there were kind and considerate to us newbies and it felt more like a family beach not a tourist beach. The neighbor hood is great for a morning walk with a farmers market not far. I cannot say enough good things about our amazing trip and my dreams of a perfect tropical vacation came true! We are already in the planning stages to come back again!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple