“I thought my food was quite good.”
Review of Lotus Cafe - CLOSED

Lotus Cafe
Price range: US$12 - US$24
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Indonesian
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Kamanu Street
Description: Our cafe has closed but we still offer the same delicious and healthy food from our Lotus Cafe Fresh Express Food Truck. Our goal at Lotus is to serve the highest quality and best tasting Asian food you have ever eaten. Using our 35 years of experience working with natural and organic foods, we have created unique recipes and sourced special ingredients, many that we grow on our farm, to bring you the flavors of Northern Thailand, Burma, India and Indonesia, all cooked without the slew of artificial ingredients commonly used in all other Asian restaurants. Our cooking techniques maximize the flavor and nutritional / medicinal benefits of the fresh herbs and spices we use. Nothing is fried in oil; mostly we braise or ingredients in the sauces we create. We use fresh herbs & spices to prepare all our sauces from scratch; bottled & canned sauces are NEVER used. Being Hawaii's only Pan-Asian natural foods food truck, with a great menu of dishes not offered anywhere else in Hawaii, and serving fresh delicious food, we have built a huge following of clients just by word of mouth. Come for a meal or just a snack of our delicious gelato, made fresh with local fruit (9 flavors)and coconut milk. It's dairy free and delicious. Come find out why people are raving about Lotus Cafe! Lotus is the only Gluten free & GMO free eatery in all of Hawaii. We use unprocessed and mostly organic ingredients. We can easily accommodate any food allergies or preferences you may have, as we cook the food when you order it, not earlier in the day. You can also find us on Saturdays a t the Keauhou Farmers Market and Sundays at the South Kona Green Market. Also Wednesdays at the Waimea Midweek Farmers Market.
Woodbury, Minnesota
“I thought my food was quite good.”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My business partner brought me to this restaurant for dinner last week. It is one of his favorite restaurant in Kona. I had the tofu pad thai and my business partner had their grilled fish. Both were quite good and my portion of pad thai was quite large. I took half of it home. The price was reasonable considering it is Hawaii. The service was a little slow since there was only one wait staff and the restaurant was busy.

• Korean first
Eugene, Oregon
“Worst Thai food”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My wife and I were drawn here last year for lunch as they can do vegan food. The food was edible and the portions small. We decided to return this year and were very disappointed. The waitress was not forthcoming with any recommendations when we told her what type of sauces we prefer.I asked about beer and was directed to the cooler. I chose a bottled beer and sat for nearly ten minutes waiting for a glass.(only two other people were dining)One of our entrees was a ginger/garlic veggie/tofu dish that arrived luke warm to nearly cold. The sauce had a few pieces of ginger and was essentially tasteless. Veggies were tough broccoli,cabbage and a few pieces of carrot.The other entree was a rice noodle dish. This was a clump of noodles drowned in a tasteless brown gravy that we could hardly consume. When the waitress finally visited us I told her politely what our experience was. Suddenly she was attentive and offered us a fried rice dish. We declined. She returned with a free piece of cake and took 10% off our bill. If you are vegetarian or vegan wanting a wholesome flavorful meal look elsewhere.

West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Bad bad bad”
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Service poor, food questionable. My order of oaf thai came ten minutes after everyone else was served and was just Luke warm shrimp on wet noodles with chopped peanuts on top. I don't think anyone in our group finished their meal. Decor dark and the restaurant looked dirty. Not sure why others gave it such high marks

Ontario, Canada
“Great people, a little $$$”
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

We met the owners at the farmers market and spent awhile talking to howie. Very friendly and personable! Their desire to provide vegan and organic good choices is admirable. We had the veggie omelet from their food truck and it was amazing!

We then tried their restaurant the next night. The ambience was nice, staff friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. (The owners weren't there that night). Many options on the menu. We had the coconut shrimp, red curry medium spice which wasn't very spicy and the lemongrass Ono. The food was served very fast! The flavours are nice but the sauce a little more liquidy than what we are used to. The portion sizes were ok but the prices are a little high (I guess that's the downside of ensuring the organic side of things).

We also had the chocolate pie for dessert. It was pretty good except a little too sweet for me. The coconut gelato was very good though and not too sweet. If you go to the farmers market on Sunday near the choice mart, the pamphlet they give out has a coupon for free gelato.

Overall, I am grateful for organic gluten free options! The owners are very nice and the wife, I believe, usually cooks but she wasn't there that night (don't know if the flavours would have been any different). The prices are a little high but it's the cost of doing things organic I assume. We likely were expecting something a little more close to what we get back at home (but that's not really their fault).

Give them a try if you're in the area!

Spokane, Washington
“Lunch near Costco”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Who knew that tucked in an industrial warehouse just above Costco, is a bamboo and teak oriental retreat called Lotus Cafe. For lunch I had Avacado Salad and my wife has Green Papaya salad with shrimp and green beans. Each had a huge variety of ultra fresh organic veggies, and was dressed with delicious sauce. The place was busy, but food prepared to order, was turned out in a timely way. The menu is huge with soups, salads, main plates and deserts. Specialty teas of course. As well as local and Thia beer, and some wine. Pleasant service. I'd go back for dinner, and to try some of the vast array of other oriental (primarily SE Asia) dishes