“Not Even a Nibble”

and up
Kona Sport-Fishing Share Charter
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: With 6 top-of-the-line fishing boats to choose from, Bite Me Sportfishing offers diverse Hawaiian charter fishing experiences at their finest. With charters available for private or shared groups of up to 37 people, we can accommodate your dream fishing trip, no matter what your needs. It’s for these reasons and more that we’ve been voted “Best of West Hawaii” for years!
Reviewed 14 June 2014

3/4 day charter and not even a nibble. When we discussed it with owner they made it clear this was their norm and is a regular occurrence for them. No apologizes. Very expensive. A total of waste of time and money. Use another company!!!

3  Thank Scott A
Sy A, Manager at Bite Me Sportfishing, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2015

Aloha from Bite Me, it is unfortunate that you did not catch any fish an thus the low rating. Please note we can not guarantee any catch. Our captains are very experienced and take our guests to known fishing area. It is up to the fish to bite.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"an adventure"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 14 June 2014

The reasons my husband and I decided to book with Bite Me were 1. the option for a 4 hour fishing trip (we were there during slow fishing season and only had 5 days on the Big Island so we didn't want to fish a whole day) and 2. it was the ONLY company I could find (after weeks of research) that offers a shared group fishing excursion. As a traveling couple, it is difficult to do a fishing trip as you usually have to by out the whole boat-great for a group of people, bad for a couple or family. We loved the trip, and my husband ending up catching a nice Mahi-mahi we then were able to eat at their amazing Bite Me restaurant where they serve up your catch. I was surprised at how many options you could choose from, I assumed it would just be grilled up but there were several options and my husband loved his Mahi-mahi fish tacos!

Here are some things to know about this company and fishing trip:

The shared trip is well worth it especially if you simply cannot rent out a whole ship and crew for yourself. That said, not all the bites will go to you; everyone takes turns so your group may not get a fish but another group on the boat might get a fish. That simply is the risk you take with a shared charter, but spending $100 per person as opposed to spending $1000 for a boat you get what you get for fish. I see people complaining that they did not get fish (whether on a shared charter or personal charter) that is how fishing goes!

If you get a fish, you get one pound of fish (example: one for me, one for my husband) to either have made up at the restaurant (about $7.00 for a meal made) or to take with you (many people camp and grill in the area). The rest, the company keeps to sell; this is how they make money to keep their charter prices affordable for visitors. If you want your whole fish, you would need to buy it. I find this to be an exceptionally reasonable proposal. There was another couple on our trip who lost their fish on the line and did not get another, and they were able to each take a pound of fish from our catch since they were with us.

We thought our crew was great. There is that air of gruffness that most of these fisher guides have. Sometimes when they get in the zone when you have a catch, they will "yell" at you want to do etc because they don't want to lose the fish. I think some people may find this to seem rude; do be offensive just enjoy the ride! Our leaders were very knowledgeable and helpful. The reason most people got a fish on our trip was because they spotted a piece of net drifting and knew there would be fish all around it. They explained that in the deep ocean there is nothing around so when something is there (like a net with algae) the fish will be there too. They took down the coordinates for their next group in hopes to find it again as it was a slow time for fishing and we were lucky to get such a great find! The even recommended a great beach for us to stop by to see turtles!

We greatly enjoyed our time with Bite Me and would recommend this company to anyone! Also, I highly recommend going to their restaurant for a great lunch of your catch!

1  Thank Angela_Houser
Reviewed 31 May 2014

my three kids and I had a great time and caught fish! The captain (Sandy) and his first mate (Lorelle) we awesome! We loved how knowledgeable they both were and the way they made us feel at ease! Great trip for 1st timers, families and hard core anglers. Thank you both for a terrific time!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We booked the night manta ray tour with this company. If you are a sensitive person regarding animals-SKIP this. The atmosphere out on the water was barely contained pandemonium. We felt unsafe a great deal of the time in the water. The few rays we saw were breathtaking, but definitly not worth the risk to life and limb. While we were in the water, another large boat broke loose of it's mooring in the confines of the dive area, and almost hit our boat while one group was in route to board. The seas were probably around four feet, and honestly, we later questioned whether our boat captain should have taken us out in those seas.

2  Thank Susan G