“Fun Fishing” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Dolphin Encounter and Kealakekua Bay Reef Snorkel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: With 6 top-of-the-line fishing boats to choose from, Bite Me Sportfishing offers diverse Hawaiian charter fishing experiences at their finest. With charters available for private or shared groups of up to 37 people, we can accommodate your dream fishing trip, no matter what your needs. It’s for these reasons and more that we’ve been voted “Best of West Hawaii” for years!
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Fun Fishing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Went with a private group of 5 on the bite me 3 for a 4 hour charter. Told the captain to try and catch some fish and then if we caught at least one to head out for Marlin or Tuna. We ended up getting a wahoo and then headed out for the bigger fish. We got a nibble on one small marlin but that was it. Overall the captain did his job and was looking for the bait fish that would attract the others. Both her and his first mate were personable. I met another family who had rented for 4 hours and and had gone after only marlin and they had a couple of small hits but no catches. They planned to come back the next day to try again. me. I was pleased we caught one. We split the catch up among the group and I grilled mine that night. Tasty.

1 Thank Lawrence R

Waco
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“It doesn't get any better than this.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I've been deep sea fishing for the last 50 years, and now I've found the very best! How many fishing trips serve Prime Rib, horseradish sauce, garlic potatoes and beans for lunch at sea? Don't want prime rib? They have a full Menu to order from. Just make your choices the day before and your breakfast and lunch are catered to the boat. As for the accommodations, we had a 46 foot air conditioned, fly bridge, sports fisherman. You get what you pay for... but if you want first class... first class is available. Great Captain, and very attentive deck hand. We fished 2 straight 8 hour days and loved every minute of it. NOTE: Yes they have shared trips available, but do yourself a favor. Book a private charter. Fish Hawaii at its finest. It's worth the price ever time..

San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“141 lb. yellowfin at the end of the journey”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Now we were on the boat (Bite Me 1) for 3hrs 40min before we got the first bite. Each of us suffered various stages of nausea (sea-sickness) and boredom then in our last 20 minutes.... BITE!

Yellowfin are real fighters but with Capt. Chad and first-mate Kip we brought our 141 beautiful tuna in. This yellowfin is the most beautiful fish I've ever seen and had real spirit, taking over 40 mins of solid fighting for me to get him to the boat.

Chad and Kip exemplify the Bite Me team spirit and made us feel welcome and provided good instruction to us amateurs who had never ocean fished. In the midst of the fish-catching excitement they were cool, calm and collected and gently guided me in getting the fish in. You are crazy if you don't pay the bit extra for a mate to support the captain.

It's important to note that the fishing charter cannot guarantee you'll even get a bite, let alone a fish during your trip so if you feel entitled and will be really upset if you don't catch a fish then Stay On Dry Land!!

We'd recommend the experience to anyone visiting the big island

Tuscaloosa
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Not Even a Nibble”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

3/4 day charter and not even a nibble. When we discussed it with owner they made it clear this was their norm and is a regular occurrence for them. No apologizes. Very expensive. A total of waste of time and money. Use another company!!!

3 Thank Scott A
Sy A, Manager at Bite Me Sportfishing, responded to this review, 17 April 2015
Aloha from Bite Me, it is unfortunate that you did not catch any fish an thus the low rating. Please note we can not guarantee any catch. Our captains are very experienced and take our guests to known fishing area. It is up to the fish to bite.
Sioux City, Iowa
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Great, Affordable Deep Sea Fishing Adventure on Bite Me 2”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

The reasons my husband and I decided to book with Bite Me were 1. the option for a 4 hour fishing trip (we were there during slow fishing season and only had 5 days on the Big Island so we didn't want to fish a whole day) and 2. it was the ONLY company I could find (after weeks of research) that offers a shared group fishing excursion. As a traveling couple, it is difficult to do a fishing trip as you usually have to by out the whole boat-great for a group of people, bad for a couple or family. We loved the trip, and my husband ending up catching a nice Mahi-mahi we then were able to eat at their amazing Bite Me restaurant where they serve up your catch. I was surprised at how many options you could choose from, I assumed it would just be grilled up but there were several options and my husband loved his Mahi-mahi fish tacos!

Here are some things to know about this company and fishing trip:

The shared trip is well worth it especially if you simply cannot rent out a whole ship and crew for yourself. That said, not all the bites will go to you; everyone takes turns so your group may not get a fish but another group on the boat might get a fish. That simply is the risk you take with a shared charter, but spending $100 per person as opposed to spending $1000 for a boat you get what you get for fish. I see people complaining that they did not get fish (whether on a shared charter or personal charter) that is how fishing goes!

If you get a fish, you get one pound of fish (example: one for me, one for my husband) to either have made up at the restaurant (about $7.00 for a meal made) or to take with you (many people camp and grill in the area). The rest, the company keeps to sell; this is how they make money to keep their charter prices affordable for visitors. If you want your whole fish, you would need to buy it. I find this to be an exceptionally reasonable proposal. There was another couple on our trip who lost their fish on the line and did not get another, and they were able to each take a pound of fish from our catch since they were with us.

We thought our crew was great. There is that air of gruffness that most of these fisher guides have. Sometimes when they get in the zone when you have a catch, they will "yell" at you want to do etc because they don't want to lose the fish. I think some people may find this to seem rude; do be offensive just enjoy the ride! Our leaders were very knowledgeable and helpful. The reason most people got a fish on our trip was because they spotted a piece of net drifting and knew there would be fish all around it. They explained that in the deep ocean there is nothing around so when something is there (like a net with algae) the fish will be there too. They took down the coordinates for their next group in hopes to find it again as it was a slow time for fishing and we were lucky to get such a great find! The even recommended a great beach for us to stop by to see turtles!

We greatly enjoyed our time with Bite Me and would recommend this company to anyone! Also, I highly recommend going to their restaurant for a great lunch of your catch!

Visited April 2014