“Great spot but uncomfortable bed :(”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hawaiian Oasis B&B

Hawaiian Oasis B&B
Ranked #4 of 13 Kailua-Kona B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great spot but uncomfortable bed :(”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I have nothing but great things to say about Dano and his hospitality, really top notch! He greeted us, helped with our bags, gave us a small tour and made sure we were comfortable. This place is not too far from all of the action in Kona, so we took advantage of getting some snacks in town and going out to dinner later. Here is the only negative thing I have to say...we stayed in the Garden Suite and the bed was terrible. My friend and I both woke up so sore :( I traveled back to the east coast of the mainland over the next 2 days and when I got back my left shoulder was screaming. I had to book a massage immediately to get some relief. So my only advice would be to check out the bed before you commit. Otherwise, the place is delightful, the breakfast was delicious and we enjoyed our stay. I hope that this review will maybe spark some interest in upgrading the beds for a 100% satisfaction rating!

Room Tip: The garden suite was very quiet but the bed was extremely soft and bad for the back.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GraceNeil
KonaZenpuggy, Owner at Hawaiian Oasis B&B, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
We are glad you enjoyed your overall experience at the Oasis but very concerned about your experience with the bed in the Garden Suite. I wish we had known you were having problems when you were here as we could have addressed the situation right away! As it is, our apologies for a bed that did not meet your expectations. We are looking into whether the bed needs to be replaced or if it is "too soft" as you said and needs a new box spring. While the desired level of softness of a bed is a personal choice, the comfort of our guests is a top priority and we take feedback like this very seriously. I hope you will stay with us again in the future and I PROMISE your bed will be exactly as you like it. We will, of course, offer you a discount for a future stay. Happy travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Saint Helens, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Excellent B&B a mile out of town. Breakfast each day by Dano was a treat as was visiting with other staying there. Much cooler up the hill than down on the water which was nice after a full day of activities. Dano was a great host and had good suggestions of activities and beaches to visit. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marc U
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

I originally booked the "Garden Suite" room for my friend Betty and I, but found out at the last minute that our other friend Bethany had missed her flight out of Kona. Betty and I were out on a kayak and snorkel tour at Kealakekua Bay, so we told her she should go to our B&B to see if she can check in early and relax on the property. To our pleasant surprise, Dano was there to happily accommodate Bethany and upgraded us to the "Waterfalls Suite" which was bigger and had more room for a third bed. When Betty and I finally arrived at the B&B, it took our breath away. The property is absolutely gorgeous and the "Waterfalls Suite" is out of this world. The rooms are incredibly spacious and each room gets its own personal patio.

We've stayed at the Four Seasons in Hualalai, and I think this bed and breakfast even rivals the luxury of some of the most top-notch hotels. You also can't beat the personal service. Dano was so kind! He gave us a lovely tour of the grounds, said we were welcome to anything in the kitchen (he even bakes treats!), offered us to use the laundry machines, the pool, the tiki bar...all of it. This place has AMAZING amenities but personalized service that feels like you're visiting family.

My only regret is that I didn't spend more nights here! Next time I'm in the Big Island, I plan to stay here again! I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: You can't be disappointed with any of the rooms, but at least the ones we got to see ("Wate...
Green Features: The bed and breakfast is definitely very eco-friendly! I also appreciate the use of organic foods in the kitchen.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Denise L
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

We spent seven nights at the Hawaiian Oasis earlier this month based on Tripadvisor reviews. The 5 star reviews are spot on! Our stay here really made our trip to the Big Island memorable. Our family of four (two adults, two children) stayed in the Ohana Room. The room is beautifully appointed and comfortable, and the grounds are lush, private and serene. We appreciated having the convenience of the shared kitchen & tiki bar, and our daughters loved the badminton. Dano is a fantastic host, eager to make sure you have everything you need for the best possible experience. We looked forward to his outstanding breakfasts each morning, and really enjoyed our morning chats with the other guests. Cannot say enough about our wonderful stay here. Highly recommend!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TucsonNative69
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

I had a wonderful time at Hawaiian Oasis. What a beautiful and peaceful place. I had booked two different types of room. One night in the Garden Room and the next two in the Waterfall Room. Our host Dano upgraded us to the Waterfall room for all three nights. Dano knew I was looking for habaneros and was so thoughtful and bought some for me...I cannot say enough good things about Hawaiin Oasis. Our fellow guests were great, our hosts were hospitable and entertaining, and the place so warm and inviting. My room was also very quaint. I must also mention that since I was up early to go to bikram in the morning, Dano would leave a lovely breakfast in the fridge for me so I could eat it when I got back. So kind of him to do that since breakfast was well over by the time I got back to Hawaiin Oasis... A must stay at place. :-). Intan

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Intan K
Cochrane, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Luxurious. Safe. Comfortable. Dano will take great care of you. Aloha room is way nicer than any resort room I've been in. Considering the real homemade hot breakfasts, free parking, free wifi, great personal advice for touring, this is a better deal than any resort. I really can't express how wonderful our stay was. I was not expecting how well we were taken care of. We will come back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drivereye
Hanover, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at Hawaiian Oasis for the last two nights of our honeymoon. Though we knew it was a great place from the previous reviews on Tripadvisor, It still exceeded our expecation in every way. We got an upgrade from the Garden room to the Waterfall. It was a lovely and spacious room. The owners of the property certainly have great lens for beauty because every corner is decorated with true taste and elegance. Every room is beautiful and practically designed. Even if we hadn't got an upgrade, we would have been happy to stay at the Garden room. Dano, ah, sweet Dano, made us a heart-shaped cookie and he said "cookies are for lovers". We had had so much to eat in Hawaii and our stomach couldn't tolerate more food for the last few days, but we didn't want to leave the cookie behind so we took it with us to the mainland.

The property is well equipped with everything you want, grills, a tiki bar, a salt water swimming pool, a hot tub, a tennis and a badminton (Aloha, my Asian friends) court. I would totally just spend a day inside of the property to enjoy the tranquility bestowed.

One secret we didn't tell Dano was one of the reasons we chose to stay at Oasis was because of the breakfast he prepared for the guests. Yep, tropical fruits, Kono coffee, fresh bread AND hot plates. He made different hot breakfast everyday. The guests staying with us told us that they had had different hot breakfast almost everyday in the past 8 days. To us, it's special because it's not a just a boring routine, but warm personal attention by Dano every morning.

Of course, one can't talk about the B&B without mentioning Dano. He is such a great care taker with a genuinely warm heart. You will be so impressed by his personality, his knowledge and his experience. I wanted to ask Dano how he felt about reading all the great comments online about him (and of course, I forgot to ask him this because there was just so much to talk about every morning with him and with other guests). He is a true legend but also a person with great passion and compassion.

Thank you, the owners of the B&B, for offering such a great place, and thank you, Dano and Teresa, for taking great care of us. It made our last two days on the island truly special. I wanted to post some pictures but I don't see the need for duplication here. More importantly, pictures don't do this place enough justice, just like my words are not powerful enough until you go see Hawaiian Oasis and meet Dano in person.

Grace and Alvin

Room Tip: Seriously, every room is great
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple