“Great choice for around the island flight”

Iolani Air Tour Co.
Ranked #82 of 201 Tours in Kailua-Kona
More attraction details
Owner description: Now Really See Hawaii! Big Island. Lava. Waterfalls. Rain Forest. Iolani Air Tour Co. provides a safe, smooth, geographic showcase with personal window seats for better viewing. Nice to know this "once-in-a-lifetime" experience won't take a lifetime to pay for either.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Lake Oswego, Oregon
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Great choice for around the island flight”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We didn't originally book with Iolani as our concierge didn't really know them, but when we arrived at our original company, they had had a fuel spill and couldn't take us. We waited and found out that this company couldn't fly us until 5 hours later. I contacted Rebecca at Iolani who I had trade some emails with initially and she was able to fit my wife, daughter and I into a noon flight. We arrived and found that only one other person would be flying with us for a 2.5 hour fight around the island. We got to the plane, took pictures and prepped the plane. I was not an enthusiastic flyer having never been on such a small plane, but I was put at ease by our pilot, who was very confident and even put me up front in the copilot's seat. it was a great trip, it was a smooth flight. Our pilot was very knowlegeable and had stories about each area and climate zone we flew over. We were able to see where lava was flowing into the ocean, but excessive vog kept us from going too close to the volcanoes. Our flight was longer and cheaper than the other company we were going to use, but we all still had window seats and were able to see and photograph all around the island. I highly recommend the Iolani Air Tour. It was a true highlight our week on the big island.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Stew M

TX
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Fly Hawaii with Dale”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

My husband and I did the Deluxe Tour for 2 that flew us around the whole island. The weather was perfect and the views were amazing. Dale was our pilot and he did a great job. I even got to fly the plane for awhile. Would highly recommend this! The prices were the best around too.

Visited July 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Highlight of out trip!”
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We were visiting the Big Island for a week (and O'ahu for another week). We had originally booked a private tour for the two of us. Well, that didn't happen. Seems they mixed up our weights with two very skinny people and when we showed up they couldn't fly us. We were rebooked for two days later and while it was disappointing when it happened, it all worked out for the best! The bigger plane made me feel much better as the trade winds buffeted us up/down/right/left, all at the same time. I get motion sick pretty easily and after awhile I was feeling green. The weather was also a lot better that day!

The scenery and experience were more than worth the price of the flight. Kevin, our pilot, was great, explaining all the sights. It was really incredible!

1 Thank 276LindaE
Panama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“VISITING PILOTS - FLY WITH IOLANI WHEN IN KONA”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My wife and I are flying enthusiasts and we chose to rent Iolani's C-172 with a G-1000, what a beautiful plane!!!! We flew with Michael, a great and super relax CFI that pointed the way and handled the radios. I flew as PIC and Michael never touched the plane as I seem to have passed his eagle eye proficiency test on take offs and landings. We are very picky about renting planes and this plane was in top notch condition and Michael was a lot of fun to fly with. Flying Kona was very special late afternoon and all of our expectations were met. Ask for Michael to be your CFI-tour guide.

Milpitas, California
“Fantastic experience”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We flew with "Dale" and had a great time flying over the beautiful Big Island coastline coastline, the lava entry points in the ocean and the land and the waterfalls. Dale was very great and also very knowledgeable of all things Hawaii. It is certainly a great way to see the Island and enjoy the incredible scenery.