“Yum” 4 of 5 bubbles

Los Habaneros
Ranked #85 of 279 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: In the Keahou shopping center.
Suncook, New Hampshire
“Yum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Second trip to the Big Island and second visit to Los Habanero's. We went for lunch. Service is quick, order at the counter and food is called when ready. Large portions, nice and hot. I had the fish tacos, wicked yummy.

Large menu, prices very reasonable. It's more of a fast food kind of place so if you're looking for a fine dining experience this place isn't for you.

I really enjoyed the food and if I should be lucky enough to get back to the Big Island, this place is definitely on my list.

Visited March 2014

Kapaa, Hawaii
“Pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

We read the reviews before we ate there and decided to give it a shot. We had their special of the night, fajita, steak. The taste was good, not the best but still would order the dish again. Its difficult to get Santa Fe tasting food any where but Santa Fe. I would say they do a good job in the venue they have and will continue to be successful. We come here at least once a year and will be on our list of places to eat when we visit Kona.
The steak was tender with above average beef flavor. Beans where very tasty and not runny or to watery. I enjoyed the rice as it has little treats in it, corn, peas and other positive surprises. The sour cream was fresh as well as the guacamole was mild not to hot. We had a choice of mild or hot salsa and took mild. It was mild, next time I will go for the hot. The flour tortillas tasted home made rather than store bought. I was impressed. The quantity of food was enough for my wife and I share the plate and left with a satisfied appetite. Changes that I would recommend: 1-Get larger plastic forks, I am not offended by plastic but would be a positive upgrade. 2-provide spoons with tableware, its hard to pick up rice with a fork. 3-raise the spice level just a notch.
Overall I will come back and recommend this to anyone. Many locals eat there and the place will be crowded, assume you may have to do take out or eat on the outside dining area.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
“Fresh and satisfying”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

I left here asking myself, why do I love Mexican food. That's because this place gave me such a satisfying experience eating, and always has. I've only had the various kinds of tacos, because I don't like the overstuffed feeling a burrito usually gives. The taco ingredients always seem fresh, from the vegetables, to the fish, to the different carnes. Really good Mexican food.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Diane A
South Carolina
“Save your money and eat Mexican elsewhere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

The service was okay but the food, not so much. We had a yearning for mexican food while we were in Hawaii and learned that when in Hawaii, eat Hawaiian. Better to pass on this one and eat somewhere else.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank dunk145
Sedona, Arizona, United States
“Pretty good Mexican food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

We came for lunch. Service was fast. Food came out quick and was steaming hot. The gal behind the counter with lots of purple eyeshadow was less than friendly. Chips and salsa are extra. But for the big island of Hawaii this is probably the most authentic Mexican food you are going to find.

Visited February 2014