“Lots of fun for an "old" Salt”

Humdinger Sportfishing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Full-Day Kona Fishing Charter | 3/4 Day Fishing Charter | 1/2 Day Fishing Charter Hawaii fishing charters on the Big Island of Hawaii in Kona. Over 50 years of big game charter fishing experience in Kona Hawaii. Comfortable, safe, affordable. Courteous, experienced, professional crew. Our crew grew up in Hawaii fishing for giant blue marlin. Full and half-day Hawaiian fishing charters for blue marlin – up to 6 passengers. 37 foot custom Rybovich sportfisherman, tournament rigged, full electronics, Fin-Nor and Penn International rods and reels. The best Hawaii Fishing Charters in Kona! *** We encourage the Tag and Release of all billfish as a conservation effort designed to promote and support Billfish research world-wide. We are also a member of The Billfish Foundation. Our charter clients are welcome to keep any sustainable, pelagic species of fish such as Ono (Wahoo), Mahimahi (Dorado) and Ahi (Yellowfin Tuna) they catch during the course of their Kona Fishing Charter. ***
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I felt like a queen on this boat. The Captain and crew met all my expectations, Fun in the Sun with fish to boot!!Thanks Jeff!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Captain Jeff F, Owner at Humdinger Sportfishing, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Glad you had a good time. Give us shout when you are headed back to Hawaii. We would love to fish with you again soon. Aloha, Capt Jeff

Reviewed 13 May 2013

Fishing for a Blue Marlin. That was in inked in red on my bucket list, and never would I have imagined it would be so fun, but also sooo close to the shore! I've been fishing before for large fins, but had to venture out for at least an hour or so to even begin. woah, makes for a long day if your on vacation. So, once I was welcomed into The Humdinger, the crew was already ready and saying, "Hey...don't get too comfy girl..we're gonna go show you how it's done!" FISH ON!!!~ "470 Pounds of Marlin later", thanks to the incredible crew who showed me how to reel in and keep my head up, was such a blast! The reason why Captain Jeff kept saying, "keep my head up and Look at the Fish" I'm hauling nearer and nearer, is because once you get it to the boat, they tag it and release it. I had no idea! DUH! I thought it was like...dinner. But ignorant and endorphined rushed as I was AND grateful for the way the Humdinger crew fish, helping the eco-system, and reporting the catch, I was happy to see that Beauty swim away. Oh..then they raise a red flag! Where else has that happened in your life? Amazing thrill, and I had the best team ever. I also found out There's a HUGE history of success with this team with one of the most respected guys in fishing, "Butch". Ask about him. Jeff Fay, the captain has a passion for fishing that I wish I had in life for just about anything! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! (that's what I heard before guys picked me up and sat me in a "fightin' chair". The rest was a big wonderful check mark on my bucket list.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
2  Thank kamline
Captain Jeff F, Owner at Humdinger Sportfishing, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2014

Thanks fro your review. Glad we could help check a box for you. Hurry back soon and let's work on finishing up a "Royal Slam" for you. Looks like you are well on your way now!

Aloha,

Capt. Jeff Fay

Reviewed 1 April 2013

Kona is a unique fishery. There are very few places in the world where you can drop your outriggers as you leave the harbor and expect to catch a blue marlin less than a mile off the beach. The number of big marlin caught here, most within a few miles of the coast, is astounding. With its reputation as a world class marlin destination, Kona is fully of legendary sport fishing boats and Humdinger is the cream of the crop. Captain Jeff Fay has fished all over the world and caught more blue marlin than most of us can dream about. Unlike a lot of other captains of his ability and experience, he is very humble and unassuming, and willing to pass on his knowledge to the attentive angler. His mate Brett is hardworking and always ready to offer instruction and advice or when fishing is slow, to swap fish stories with the charter or point out interesting Kona landmarks that are visible while fishing. Whether you are an experienced blue water fisherman, or a novice looking to catch your first offshore game fish, don’t hesitate to charter Humdinger. You will not be sorry!

Captain Jeff F, Owner at Humdinger Sportfishing, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2013

Thanks for fishing with us Shawn! Glad you had such a good time. We had a blast too! Please give us a call when you are headed back to the Hawaii. We would love to take you fishing again. Aloha, Jeff

Reviewed 24 March 2013

Captain Jeff and his young hand (name forgotten) provided us with an excellent day of fishing. 3 of the 4 fisherpeople were doing this for the first time and the patience, education and service exhibited by these folks was perfect. While it was during a slow season we boated an striper and a small tuna so that added to the experience.
Can not recommend this boat and crew enough. You will enjoy them.

Captain Jeff F, Owner at Humdinger Sportfishing, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2013

Thanks for fishing with us while you were in Kona. We always love to expose this sport to first time anglers and really enjoy seeing folks catch a marlin for the first time. Congratulations on your striped marlin! Brett and I really enjoyed fishing with you and hope you will call on us again the next time your travel plans bring you to the Big Island. Aloha and Mahalo. Capt. Jeff Fay

Reviewed 26 June 2011

In reviewing some video of my fishing trip on the Humdinger I must share what a great experience it is......1)Beautiful water,almost always calm with incredible views of the Big Island 2)Variety...we caught Blue Marlin,Mahi, Ahi and Striped Marlin3) The Captain...Jeff ----- is a true professional. Do yourself a favor......Go Humdinger!

1  Thank gilligan57

Thanks for sharing your review with us. For the last 40 years, we have built our business on word of mouth referrals from happy customers just like you. Glad to hear it was a memorable experience for you. Send us your video(s) and we will post it on our Trip Advisor page, our website and or YouTube channel! Hope to see you again very soon! Aloha and Mahalo, Capt Jeff Fay.