“Great Day on the water”

Humdinger Sportfishing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Full-Day Fishing Charter | 3/4 Day Fishing Charter | 1/2 Day Fishing Charter Hawaii fishing charters on the Big Island of Hawaii in Kona. Over 50 years of big game charter fishing experience in Kona Hawaii. Comfortable, safe, affordable. Courteous, experienced, professional crew. Our crew grew up in Hawaii fishing for giant blue marlin. Full and half-day Hawaiian fishing charters for blue marlin – up to 6 passengers. 37 foot custom Rybovich sportfisherman, tournament rigged, full electronics, Fin-Nor and Penn International rods and reels. The best Hawaii Fishing Charters in Kona! *** We encourage the Tag and Release of all billfish as a conservation effort designed to promote and support Billfish research world-wide. We are a member of The Billfish Foundation and actively involved in Satellite tagging studies to assist researchers in better understanding the habits and migration patterns of Billfish through satellite tracking data. Our charter clients are welcome to keep any sustainable, pelagic species of fish such as Ono (Wahoo), Mahimahi (Dorado) and Ahi (Yellowfin Tuna) they catch during the course of their Kona Fishing Charter. ***
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
NJ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Day on the water”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I have fished with Capt. Jeff for about 15 years and have had great success catching Marlin (one at 676 lbs), tuna, and wahoo. Extraordinarily professional with a great crew which may include his son Capt. Jeff works as hard as anyone to give you a day to remember...and I and my family have many of those days.

Visited August 2012
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Captain Jeff F, Owner at Humdinger Sportfishing, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Thanks for your loyal patronage...and reminding me how old I am getting. Hurry up and get back to Kona so we can go again soon! Aloha. Jeff

Nederland, Colorado
“Exceeded Expectations”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Capt. Fay is a legend in the world of marlin fishing. He is very intense, but very personable at the same time. No doubt he and his mate Brett will do everything in their power to get you hooked up. No sitting around for hours waiting for something to happen. They taught us a lot about marlin fishing. Capt. Fay's specialty is live baiting with small tuna (aku), which is very productive under the right conditions and a lot of fun. Catching the bait on ultralight tackle is a great way for inexperienced anglers to get involved with the action. We fished three days and hooked four blue marlin. My wife and I each caught one (tagged and released). We also caught a 150# yellowfin tuna and had spearfish in the trolling pattern a few times. We'll be back to Kona and will definitely fish on the Humdinger when we do!

Visited July 2012
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Brett and I sure enjoyed fishing with you both. It was great three days -- awesome fish! It was quite an honor to be able to catch so many fish for both of you. When it on its ON! Thanks for fishing with us and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Kona. Aloha!
North Central Washington State
“No Fish but still First Class”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

My wife and I visited the Big Island for the first time in March and one of the things I wanted to do while in Kona was to take advantage of the fishing opportunities. I booked with Jeff Fay, in large part, due to the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor. He responded immediately to my inquiry about open dates and was very helpful with making arrangements for a 1/2 day trip for the two of us. On the day of the trip, we arrived about 30 minutes early and found Jeff and his son already geared up and ready to go. This gave us the opportunity to depart early and avoid the fleet lining up for the Breast Cancer Awareness Tournament which was taking place that day. We began fishing only a few minutes out of the harbor, with Jeff's son setting up the lines, explaining how we would fish and answering my many questions. The weather was sunny and warm that morning, but the wind was as strong as we would experience during the 2 1/2 weeks we spent on the Islands. Despite the rough seas, Jeff worked the water hard and we covered a lot of territory during the trip. I had taken Bonine prior to the trip but it still was not enough to overcome a couple of minor bouts of sea sickness. I'm sure Jeff would have turned around and headed in at any time if I had asked, but I wanted to fish so we continued to work hard until our time ran out. We didn't catch any fish that day but it was not for lack of trying. By the time we headed back to the harbor, many of the other boats had already turned around and gone back in. As captain, Jeff can't control the weather or the bite but he provided us with a clean boat, excellent equipment, an experienced friendly crew and an abundance of effort on his part. As a former fishing guide myself, I know he was frustrated by the conditions that day and I know he was more disappointed about not getting me on a fish than I was for not catching one. I do know that if we get the chance to return to Kona, one of the first things I will try to arrange is another trip with Jeff, simply because of the great service he provided.

Visited March 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Thanks for posting your review. We never like to go out and not catch fish, but that is the reality in this sport. Wish we could have hooked a big one for you! Give us a shout when you are coming back to Hawaii! We'll do our best (again) to make it up to you. Aloha. Jeff
Houston, Texas
“Lots of fun for an "old" Salt”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I felt like a queen on this boat. The Captain and crew met all my expectations, Fun in the Sun with fish to boot!!Thanks Jeff!

Visited June 2012
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Captain Jeff F, Owner at Humdinger Sportfishing, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Glad you had a good time. Give us shout when you are headed back to Hawaii. We would love to fish with you again soon. Aloha, Capt Jeff
Chicago, Illinois
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“FISH ON! Bucket List, CHECK! So fun!”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Fishing for a Blue Marlin. That was in inked in red on my bucket list, and never would I have imagined it would be so fun, but also sooo close to the shore! I've been fishing before for large fins, but had to venture out for at least an hour or so to even begin. woah, makes for a long day if your on vacation. So, once I was welcomed into The Humdinger, the crew was already ready and saying, "Hey...don't get too comfy girl..we're gonna go show you how it's done!" FISH ON!!!~ "470 Pounds of Marlin later", thanks to the incredible crew who showed me how to reel in and keep my head up, was such a blast! The reason why Captain Jeff kept saying, "keep my head up and Look at the Fish" I'm hauling nearer and nearer, is because once you get it to the boat, they tag it and release it. I had no idea! DUH! I thought it was like...dinner. But ignorant and endorphined rushed as I was AND grateful for the way the Humdinger crew fish, helping the eco-system, and reporting the catch, I was happy to see that Beauty swim away. Oh..then they raise a red flag! Where else has that happened in your life? Amazing thrill, and I had the best team ever. I also found out There's a HUGE history of success with this team with one of the most respected guys in fishing, "Butch". Ask about him. Jeff Fay, the captain has a passion for fishing that I wish I had in life for just about anything! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! (that's what I heard before guys picked me up and sat me in a "fightin' chair". The rest was a big wonderful check mark on my bucket list.

Visited June 2012

2 Thank kamline
Captain Jeff F, Owner at Humdinger Sportfishing, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thanks fro your review. Glad we could help check a box for you. Hurry back soon and let's work on finishing up a "Royal Slam" for you. Looks like you are well on your way now!

Aloha,