“Looks Nice, But Wasn't That Great”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Buns in the Sun - CLOSED

Buns in the Sun
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Hawaiian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Los Angeles, California
“Looks Nice, But Wasn't That Great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

This is a very nice looking coffee shop/bakery/restaurant that serves breakfast and lunch. The atmosphere is sunny and bright and modern with a homey sort of feeling. My expectations were that the food and drink would match the pleasing exterior. I was excited to try it.

However, the coffee was the worst I had in Kona. Weak dishwater with no flavor and nothing to recommend it. The cashier seemed disaffected, not caring when the coffee ran out for the next customer.

I ordered the Kalua Pig Plate breakfast: shredded Kalua pork, two eggs, and two scoops of rice. A packet of soy sauce was the only accompaniment. The portion size was minimal but the price was not. It was not a good value. And it took them 15 minutes to fry two eggs and scoop the rest onto a paper plate.

I would think that maybe I just ordered a bad item, or they were having a bad day, but that coffee was a sin to serve. I would not go back.

• Visited May 2011