“The Most Amazing Thing I've EVER Done!”

Dolphin Journeys - Day Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Dolphin Journeys offers unique and intimate excursions daily, both shared and exclusive. We take you swimming/snorkeling with dolphins during for our morning tour. Afternoon Snorkel trips. All meals, snacks, drinks and snorkel gear are provided for you, as well as a swim support crew member who is in the water with you at all times. During the winter season, we take you out on our boat to see the magnificent Humpback whales. In addition, we snorkel around beautiful reefs, and can take you hiking around Volcanoes National Park. We currently have suspended doing the evening snorkels with the angelic Manta Rays. Too many people and boats make the night time waters unsafe.
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My husband and I went on this tour after our wedding in Holualoa in November 2012. I knew before arriving that I wanted to swim with the dolphins while in Hawaii, but I wanted something different than the typical hotel romp with the dolphins. I chose Dolphin Journeys and I have no regrets. IT WAS AMAZING! When I first jumped in I have to say I had a meltdown, I'd never snorkeled before and I panicked, but Captain Nancy took me under her wing, along with Andrew, and as soon as I saw the pod of dolphins surrounding me and my husband all fear left. It was such a moving experience, seeing the pod interact with each other, and mama dolphins with their young … my husband and I felt at one with nature, it was unbelievable! Our pod of dolphins even followed us back, we were able to eat lunch and watch the dolphins swim next to the boat. Will definitely do this tour again next time we visit The Big Island.

Dolphinlove70, Front Office Manager at Dolphin Journeys - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

We're always so thankful for guests who challenge their comfort zones and come swimming with the dolphins! As you have stated, it really IS amazing! It changes your life by changing your perspective about the water, and more importantly, about yourself. These loving beings encourage our adoration by reminding us to be calm when others are not, to allow life to keep flowing amidst a "meltdown". Nancy says you did great, and she would know! :) I'm sure the dolphins look forward to your return visit to Big Island as much as we do! Mahalo nui loa.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

We signed up for the dolphin snorkel tour last minute and not knowing what to expect. Our experience was overwhelmingly positive. We had a small group of 4 and we made multiple dives with large pods of spinner dolphins. They came within a few feet of us. We also saw spotted and bottle nose dolphins. Justin and Cathy were very attentive and knowledgable. We had a very worthwhile and memorable experience. A must do on the Big Island!

We're always so excited to hear what a great time you had. Yes, Justin and Capt Cathy know their stuff! We're very grateful to have so many talented, knowledgeable crew members! We have just as good a time introducing you to these beloved creatures in the water as you do meeting them. Our hope is that everyone leaves with a renewed sense of wonder for their place in the world and returns, again and again, to Hawaii for many more heart-opening adventures. Mahalo for your good timing!

Reviewed 13 November 2013

This will be your favorite experience of your trip! Nancy is obviously an experienced Captain that knows how to find the dolphins over and over during the day.. .. learned about the dolphins.. then in the water to have a first hand experience .... truly an amazing experience.... they race along side to put on a show.. babies and all....complete with a great lunch and fresh fruit., shade or sun on the boat, fresh warm water rinse after swimming.... relaxing to thrilling .. found it all that day with this trip... left smiling, feeling like I made new friends and swam with dolphins... how amazing is that!! Bucket list ..check... highly recommend !

Dolphinlove70, Front Office Manager at Dolphin Journeys - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Thank you Julie! You're right, Capt. Nancy is very knowledgeable about our wild friends. She been running these trips for many, many years off the Kona shores and these wonderful animals acknowledge it. We're so happy you took this trip with us and did something you will always cherish!

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We spent an amazing morning with Captain Cathy and Toby. Even as we left the harbor, we seemed to attract dolphins on the bow. Several times during the morning, we were snorkeling offshore, and anywhere from a few to a dozen spinner dolphins cruised by, and sometimes through, our group. Toward the end of the morning, as we motored north, a number of dolphins cavorted off our bow - for the entire hour+ that we had lunch, enjoyed the sun, and watched these lovely animals. Our guides were really knowledgeable, focused on our safety and the safety of the dolphins.

We went on this outing hoping to see perhaps a few dolphins, but never dreamed how much in- and out-of-water interactions we'd have that day. We'll absolutely return for another day with this outfit.

1  Thank David P

Thanks David! Tobey said that you guys had a really great time and that the dolphins seems to as well. We look forward to see you all again for another great encounter!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Do this!!!! Will be your favorite experience for years to come. Can't say enough how great the crew was, and how much fun this was. We saw more dolphins than could count each time we got in the water. Babies, adults, juveniles, zooming past us, putting on a show spinning for us, checking out the goofy humans. Do not spend $ on a captive dophin encounter. See them as nature intended wild and free and beautiful. Wish I could give it more than 5 stars!

1  Thank Maxine F

Thank you Isabella! We enjoyed sharing this experience with you. The tip about bring a waterproof camera is definitely right on the money. (They usually take decent above water pictures as well.)