“Manta Ray snorkel”

Manta Ray Dives of Hawaii
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience diving or snorkeling with the world famous Manta Rays! Join us for Scuba Diving, Whale Watching, PADI Certifications and VIP Private Charters! For more information and videos of our EcoAdventures, visit our website! Mahalo!
Reviewed 12 March 2014

For about $100.00 each they take you out on a boat to about an area 40 feet deep. When the sun goes down you get in the water in a wet suit and snorkel gear and grab a handle on a wooden flotation board with about 9 other people. There is no actual diving or even swimming except to and from the boat. You just float and wait for the Manta Rays to appear. They have no teeth or stingers and are perfectly safe. A large one rubbed up against our legs twice (you are not allowed to touch back, even though they were so close you could have kissed them). We were in the water for less than 10 minutes until they appeared. Total time in water was about 45 minutes and they were visible almost the whole time, sometimes 4 or 5 at once. Some were as big as my car ( I drive a Miata). Also saw a few whales on the way to the site. All you need is a bathing suit and a change of dry clothes. Everything is provided. Only drawback was boredom while waiting for the sunset after arriving too early.

7  Thank Witch666

Reviewed 3 February 2014

The Manta Ray dive is a must do if you are on the Big Island. I am so happy that we did this adventure tour with Neptune Charlie and the crew. They were very professional and really added to the experience we were having on this adventure. The staff clearly loves what they do and are great at connecting with their guests. We even had a six year old boy on the boat with us and one of the crew members, Elizabeth, took the time to connect and comfort this kid. She explained to him what we were going to do and he requested to snorkel in her group and they quickly accommodated him so he would have an incredible experience. We spent a good amount of time speaking with Brian and he gave us some cool insider tips for beaches, etc. The dive itself was incredible and I felt like the crew prepared us for the dive and had a very good set up for the entire experience. They gave us some background information on some of the Manta’s and made the experience very informative. The boat was big and had plenty of space to spread out. The sea was a bit choppy and my family was grateful for the cold water and snack amenities that helped settle our stomach, the peppermints were a nice thoughtful touch. Apparently it is good for sea sickness. There is a videographer that records the experience in high definition and I highly recommend if you want to capture this experience then pay for her video. Not only do the manta’s love her bright lights but she runs a very informative website that supports this experience. I tried capturing pics but most of my pics were mediocre and my video was just okay. Pay to have the videographer capture the experience so you can fully enjoy the show.

4  Thank Shasta559
Reviewed 1 February 2014

My husband and I did scuba diving and Manta Ray night diving.
Both were excellent !!!
The boat was really clean, tidy, and everything well managed. Most comfy boat ever in my diving life.
About diving, they do everything for setup and cleaning. The equipment is new, even with dive computer!
Our guide was knowledgable, we saw almost everything, whale, dolphins, shark, turtle, octopus, scorpion fish, moray, etc, etc.
If you are a diver, I strongly recommend Manta Ray 'Diving'. Over 10 huge Mantas were swimming just over the head. AMAZING !

I definitely will come back and book diving with Manta Ray Dives.

3  Thank Yabyny
Reviewed 18 January 2014

This should be on everyone's bucket list, no excuses! I booked this early in my trip & prior to going on it injured my knee by getting slammed by harsh waves on a rock. My knee was swollen, I couldn't walk on stairs or descend an incline but went on this trip anyway. I let the crew know my limitations and they were extremely helpful in accommodating me, helping me on the boat, into the water & back on the boat. The cool water was actually good for my knee, helping to reduce swelling.

I live in AZ & am always cold in Hawaii. I always snorkel with a full body Lycra on a sunny day. I used my Lycra under my wet suit which fit very, very snug. If you get cold easily, that's how you want to suit to fit to retain body heat as long as possible.

We boarded the Hula Kai in Keauhou Bay & had a short 10-15 minute ride to "Manta Village" during which we received instruction as to how we would proceed. We also had the photographer/videographer on board who gave us an introduction to Manta Rays & answered our questions.

Prior to entering the water a raft with lights was put in the water to illuminate the plankton & draw Manta Rays to the area. Once in the water with our noodle to help float our legs at the surface the Manta Ballet spectacle began. Floating shoulder to shoulder hanging on to the raft the Manta swam so close that you could see their gill rakes & down their throats. We were told not to touch them but despite my best efforts to arch my body away from them the Manta rubbed my belly. They didn't seem to mind our presence & not only feed but seemed to interact with one another, rubbing one against the other as they passed in feeding. The entire experience was about 1 hour in the water.

There were bonus sightings as well. As a certified diver I know to look all around for other sea life. I was able to spot a rather large moray eel on the bottom & several other types of fish.

Upon return to the boat we were provided a hearty lentil based soup, multi grain rolls & hot chocolate. The video & pictures were displayed but the return trip was too short to allow sufficient time for viewing.

All in all a very worthwhile experience & one I will long remember.

3  Thank BlingAndShareIt
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

What a great night:we saw more than 26 manta rays that night. awsome staff. From reservation to the crew on board. brand new equipment. felt safe all the time. so much attention paid to details: the shoes were set up for us once we left the boat. loved it!

3  Thank Verena8050