Overall – Pleasant accommodation, quiet, nicely furnished, good condition, good value, near grocery stores, restaurants, beach. Spent 3 nights in Sept/Oct 2013. Reserved “1 Bedroom Villa Honu” for average of $128.50/night plus tax. Air conditioning was included. The unit had two full bathrooms, so my wife and I could get ready for the day’s activities in half the time.
Don’t make the navigation mistake I made, and do pay attention to the map included in your reservation confirmation email. The Iphone standard map app indicates the street address (78-6842 Alii Dr) is about 2 miles away from the actual resort location because it recognizes the street name but not the street number. The check-in office is not located near the entrance, and we some trouble seeing small “CHECK IN” directional signs when arriving at night.
Nice pool and hot tub. You get, and sign for, beach towels when checking in. They can be swapped for clean/dry towels beside the pool during daytime hours. You just need to ensure your room number ‘gets credit’ for turning them in near the pool (day only) or the check in office (staffed 24/7) before departing.
Web site clearly showed that construction (solar panel installation) would be taking place during our visit. During check in, the pleasant clerk made a point of putting us in a room away from the construction.
Saw numerous birds and bird species, a few geckos and an occasional ferret around the property. A disfigured, but visually interesting, palm tree is visible from the northwest portion of the property (in the golf course beside building 27). Picture included.
Kahaluu Beach Park is a walkable half mile north of the resort. The park was crowded by Hawaii standards (which is still nearly empty by mainland standards), because you can literally walk into the water and swim with 2 foot wide sea turtles. You can rent snorkel gear at silly high prices at the park, or rent snorkel gear for a little less at the Kona Resort. Consider bringing small swimming goggles from home and you’ll get terrific up close views of these creatures – the water is shallow.
We happened to be visiting about 2 weeks prior to the Hawaii Ironman triathlon. It is an interesting time, when you can see freakishly tall and thin super-athletes practicing their running skills up and down Alii Road and their biking skills all over the island.
A comment about Saddle Road. The most direct route between Kona and Hilo (Saddle Road) was recently improved to be a straight, 3 lane smooth highway. Due to its former condition, maps still indicate rental cars are not allowed. The Saddle Road drive affords an opportunity to see bighorn sheep at close range. We saw a few groups from about 40 feet when traveling eastward about 9AM. The sheep were milling about between Saddle Road and extensive fencing around a military camp to the south.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kona Coast Resort on Hawaii's Big Island sits on 21 acres of lush, tropical gardens and offers spectacular views of palm trees and calm waters. 267 spacious and air-conditioned villas at Kona Coast Resort are designed with a Hawaiian flair. Each comfortable villa offers a magnificent Pacific coastline view or a manicured tropical garden view from its private lanai or patio and include full kitchens and all of the comforts of home. Enjoy two swimming pools (one family pool with a children’s pool and one quiet spa pool), three Jacuzzis, sauna, playground, tennis courts, volleyball, fitness center, and on-site activities like hula lessons and dive instruction. The abundance of things to do on the Big Island found within easy distance of the Kona Coast Resort is as remarkable as it is exhilarating. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Odigeo, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Kona Coast Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kona Coast Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Kona Coast Resort Hawaii/Kailua-Kona