“Great resort except for the timeshare aspect”
Review of Kona Coast Resort

Kona Coast Resort
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Great resort but I'm going start with the bad just in case you don't read the entire review. Do not do the timeshare presentation unless you are going to the resort for this purpose. If you want the discounts - walk down to the main strip - there are more than a few places and they all offer the same discounted rates as the hotel gives you for going to the presentation. We laughed and then were a little offended by the presentation after we read some of the other trip advisor reviews. In particular we read a review about how in their presentation the lady got all emotionally choked up and teary eyed when she started discussing her father and blah blah blah....she did the exact same spiel in our presentation. It was a very convincing piece of bs. Then came the sales pitch....started us at $40k and needed to be done right away, so they would give you an 18% interest loan until you can get home to refinance (and out of curiosity we did some research and found a bank will not finance points...their is no collateral to the bank to collect on in case you default on the loan...) after a polite decline it was dropped to $17k. Then they sent us to our walkout interview where they did their last ditch effort to get a couple grand. Wasted about 4 hrs of our vacation on this....in the middle of the day....our fault for going...

Now the great part! The resort and the resort staff were excellent, friendly and helpful. The facilities were very clean, the condo we stayed at was a one bedroom and it was huge. The cupboards were a bit outdated but it didn't bother us that much since we were there to be outside exploring the island - but again it was very clean. The staff at the tour desk were very helpful. Since we did get suckered into the presentation we dealt them quite a bit and all of their recommendations were perfect to the point that we went down and thanked them. The pools were good and same with the food poolside. We were very happy that they were willing to store our bags for free on our departure day, as we had a late flight out and were welcomed to stay the day and hang out at the pool and have some final vacation day drinks.

The activities we did and would recommend are:
The laua at the royal kona resort was very entertaining;
Catamaran/ snorkel with Sea Paradise - much smaller crowd than a competitor and the crew were great;
The Body Glove dinner cruise...it was good, maybe a bit for the older crowd though;
We had a jeep for the week and drove up to the summit - well worth the trip. A 4x4 is recommended, almost insisted, by the people at the visitor centre mid way up the mountain. It's very very steep but we saw are car full of people in a Mustang - at the top and the bottom - so they made it down....tour buses make it up and down the mountain too.
The volcano we did ourselves and it was cool. No spewing lava or lava flows though. At night there was just a glow you could look at, not that exciting but still worth it. We found the Iki hike at the volcano was more interesting and a pretty good hike. We got lots of cool pictures there, you don't see that terrain every day...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer L
Rhonda B, Assistant Resort Manager at Kona Coast Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Mahalo Jen L., for taking the time to share your KCR experience with our TripAdvisor followers. I appreciate that you shared both the areas we did well and the areas that we could improve upon. I have forwarded your comments about the sales presentation over to the Director of Sales for consideration. It sounds like you did alot of great adventuring while you were here, the Big Island certainly provides ample opportunity for that kind of vacation. We hope you'll consider Kona Coast Resort on your next visit, until then Aloha no.

Assistant Resort Manager

Reviewed 22 April 2014

I wanted to take the time to write this review because I was very unsure about this resort when I was making our reservations based on other reviews I had read. The outcome....I would NOT stay at this resort again unless I could not find another place to stay for a reasonable price. IF (big IF) I had to stay here again, would it be the end of the world? No, but I would demand a clean & updated room. We were told our room was great because of its location & view; they forgot to tell us the whole story....Our room 20-306 was NOT very clean & was definitely NOT updated. When you book at a "4/5 star" resort you have certain expectations & this resort did not cut it!! The stove looked like it was from the 1970's (wondering if it was safe to use), the tile floor had stains ALL over the place, there was mold in BOTH showers that housekeeping said they could not get out & maintenance was asked to take care of but they never showed up the entire time of our stay; I included photos of these things. They have 3 pools (small, smaller & the smallest is a kiddie pool by the main pool). Thank heavens it was never super busy when we were there or else we would have left the pool area. There are also not very many chairs & tables near the pool. My husband & son used the basketball courts a lot & we did use the grills by the room for burgers & hot dogs a few times; those were nice to have available. The location was OK, definitely appreciated our car to get to the restaurants and downtown shopping area by the ocean. The grounds were just OK, much nicer/more elegant resorts available in the area. Depending on how you book your reservation, you may have to pay a $9 per day charge for air conditioning; we opted not to pay this & it worked out ok having the windows open. During the day it got a little warm but at night it was cool & comfortable. Good luck if you decide to stay here.

Room Tip: Check out the Sheraton a couple miles down the road, we went to a luau there & it looked awesome...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank A S

Mahalo A.S. for sharing your recent Kona Coast Resort experience with our TripAdvisor followers. The reviews from our guests that were disappointed are always a challenge, but I want you to know we consider those the most important that we receive. Comments like the ones you shared help us to inspect and better schedule repairs and improvements. As a Resort our overall customer satisfaction scores are among the highest on the Big Island. I expect you'll find better and better TripAdvisor responses as we take action on those issues you've shared.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here as part of our honeymoon. There is definitely a type of person who would enjoy this resort, but honeymooners are not it. The place feels a bit like a retirement community. Or perhaps Kellerman's. Our villa had a disappointing view of the tennis courts. I knew the ocean was off in the distance somewhere, but we had to stand in the corner of the balcony to catch a glimpse. Plenty of units have a much better view, but we got a bad draw.

The place is very energy-conscious, to the point of detriment. The unit was extremely dimly lit with energy-efficient lighting. I felt like I couldn't find anything in my bags. After our first night, we had a sticker on our door reprimanding us for leaving some lights on overnight.

Also, the resort claims to have a 3-mile running path, but we never figured out what exactly they were intending to be a running path. We are avid runners and managed a 1-mile run around the resort before just leaving the resort and running down the road.

The hotel has a quick and easy restaurant overlooking one of the pools. The food here was convenient, quick and good enough. One waitress was delightful. The other got into an argument with me about what I ordered.

Positives: huge kitchen, large outdoor balcony, proximity to a grocery store and real garages to park your rental car.

Room Tip: When you book, there are a couple different types of rooms. I never figured out which was which, but...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Rhonda B, Assistant Resort Manager at Kona Coast Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Aloha Lesley O...........we want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our Trip Advisor followers. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed the spacious villa and convenient location of Kona Coast Resort. I would agree that the Resort is pretty relaxing and quiet, especially during the Winter and early Spring months. Other than the evening music at Aloha Fridays restaurant, there really isn't much "night life" right at the Resort. We hope that if you return and find that you do need anything, like a more powerful light bulb, that you'll call the Guest Services desk and ask. We keep a small inventory of these kinds of things for special requests.

Mahalo nui loa,

Reviewed 16 April 2014

My fiancé and I stayed here for a week in late March 2014 and had a wonderful time. The resort has some great features for it's guests, our personal favourites were the shared BBQs and the herb gardens to add a little extra flavour to our meals. There is a small strip-mall nearby where you can get your groceries if you don't to make the 20 minutes drive back to Costco.

There aren't really any beaches nearby, but the pools did the trick.

Overall, for what we paid this resort gave us everything we needed.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Rhonda B, Assistant Resort Manager at Kona Coast Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Hello from the Big Island, DubJ. We want to thank you for taking the time to share your Kona Coast Resort experience with our TripAdvisor followers. We're glad that you found everything that you needed at the Resort and that you made time to use the BBQ grills. It was our Landscaping Supervisor's idea to plant the herb gardes near each grill and our guest have certainly enjoyed them. There are also a few lime trees and ever giving bananas on the property. From your comments it looks like you're planning a wedding. Good luck to you both and don't forget KCR for a Kona style honeymoon!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I was a tiny bit nervous before we arrived at this destination, because some of the reviews for units expressed disappointment with outdated suites. Ours was absolutely fantastic!! We had a gorgeous one bedroom suite. Could have stayed there for a month!!
This is not a daily housekeeping property, however anytime we needed something extra they responded very quickly. We had housekeeping once during our stay.
We thought the pool and facilities were lovely. The location was great. You really need to have a vehicle in Kona, and it was a short drive to many destinations (beaches and dining).
The closest beach is about 1/2 a mile away. It has excellent easy snorkelling, which is great for "warming up", but it is also super busy for that same reason. I would still recommend visiting that beach. But then, try the other less busy locations for different experiences.
We got a very good value on what we paid for this unit. If we were able to secure the same deal we would forsure stay there again!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Coreena W
Rhonda B, Assistant Resort Manager at Kona Coast Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Mahalo Coreena for sharing your Holiday experience with our TripAdvisor followers. I'm so pleased to hear that you found your villa, the pool and common areas and the great location of Kona Coast Resort to provide an excellent vacation experience! I will be sure to share your kind words with our staff and hope that you will be able to join us again at KCR.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We just spent 7 days at the Kona Coast Resort. The resort was easy to find, and I found it extremely convenient to outside amenities. It is not on the beach, but within walking distance. It is located outside of the downtown area, avoiding any traffic hassles; which I appreciated. The room was a great size, but still had yet to be updated. There was construction going on at the time, which really only affected us when there were guys going up/down ladders in front our our lanai. The also decided to paint the lanai while we were out one day, failing to put the furniture back. This caused a bit of alarm on our part since we were not aware that they'd be doing so that day. If you are not interested in buying in to the Shell Vacation timeshare, DO NOT attend the informational breakfast, or get sucked in to the "90 minute" (3 hour) presentation. In exchange for discounts on activities within the area, they promise a no hassle, no pressure presentation of what they are selling. In all honesty, I thought we were going to have to bust out of there like we'd just stolen something. They seemed to have a difficult time understanding that we would never spend $40K without discussing, or researching this type of purchase. Now, I know why. Shell Vacations happens to be listed on the top 10 timeshares not to buy in to (currently ranked #3). A lot of their statements were inaccurate, if not just lies. I especially disapproved of the crying spell that one broker engaged in while concluding her presentation. We did save a couple of hundred dollars on activity expenses by attending, but that's 3 hours of my life that I'll never get back. I would have rather paid full price.

Room Tip: Request an updated room
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alaina1024

Mahalo Alaina for sharing your recent KCR experience with our TripAdvisor followers! I have forwarded your observations about the SVC sales presentation to the Director of Sales in Kona. I know that Kaili appreciates this kind of constructive criticism and that your review will help her to better run her operation. I am pleased to hear that you did enjoy the convenience of our location and hope that you will consider making it your Big Island Resort of choice. We would love to host you once again.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

we have owned time share at Kona coast resort since 1996. convenient to snorkel. pool and tennis are nice. wish there was more of a restaurant, as only one is kinda bar food at the pool. the units and resort are well maintained. since recently bought by Wyndham, they are putting on some money to upgrade.

Room Tip: this was first time that we were facing the golf course, which was nice and quite.
1  Thank RFAnderson
Rhonda B, Assistant Resort Manager at Kona Coast Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Mahalo Anderson family for your review on TripAdvisor! As you know from your return visits most of our staff have been here for many years and it is always the highlight of our work day to greet a returning owner or guest. As you mentioned, there will be many ongoing improvements for you to enjoy upon your return.

The Kona Coast Resort ohana