Great resort but I'm going start with the bad just in case you don't read the entire review. Do not do the timeshare presentation unless you are going to the resort for this purpose. If you want the discounts - walk down to the main strip - there are more than a few places and they all offer the same discounted rates as the hotel gives you for going to the presentation. We laughed and then were a little offended by the presentation after we read some of the other trip advisor reviews. In particular we read a review about how in their presentation the lady got all emotionally choked up and teary eyed when she started discussing her father and blah blah blah....she did the exact same spiel in our presentation. It was a very convincing piece of bs. Then came the sales pitch....started us at $40k and needed to be done right away, so they would give you an 18% interest loan until you can get home to refinance (and out of curiosity we did some research and found a bank will not finance points...their is no collateral to the bank to collect on in case you default on the loan...) after a polite decline it was dropped to $17k. Then they sent us to our walkout interview where they did their last ditch effort to get a couple grand. Wasted about 4 hrs of our vacation on this....in the middle of the day....our fault for going...
Now the great part! The resort and the resort staff were excellent, friendly and helpful. The facilities were very clean, the condo we stayed at was a one bedroom and it was huge. The cupboards were a bit outdated but it didn't bother us that much since we were there to be outside exploring the island - but again it was very clean. The staff at the tour desk were very helpful. Since we did get suckered into the presentation we dealt them quite a bit and all of their recommendations were perfect to the point that we went down and thanked them. The pools were good and same with the food poolside. We were very happy that they were willing to store our bags for free on our departure day, as we had a late flight out and were welcomed to stay the day and hang out at the pool and have some final vacation day drinks.
The activities we did and would recommend are:
The laua at the royal kona resort was very entertaining;
Catamaran/ snorkel with Sea Paradise - much smaller crowd than a competitor and the crew were great;
The Body Glove dinner cruise...it was good, maybe a bit for the older crowd though;
We had a jeep for the week and drove up to the summit - well worth the trip. A 4x4 is recommended, almost insisted, by the people at the visitor centre mid way up the mountain. It's very very steep but we saw are car full of people in a Mustang - at the top and the bottom - so they made it down....tour buses make it up and down the mountain too.
The volcano we did ourselves and it was cool. No spewing lava or lava flows though. At night there was just a glow you could look at, not that exciting but still worth it. We found the Iki hike at the volcano was more interesting and a pretty good hike. We got lots of cool pictures there, you don't see that terrain every day...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kona Coast Resort on Hawaii's Big Island sits on 21 acres of lush, tropical gardens and offers spectacular views of palm trees and calm waters. 267 spacious and air-conditioned villas at Kona Coast Resort are designed with a Hawaiian flair. Each comfortable villa offers a magnificent Pacific coastline view or a manicured tropical garden view from its private lanai or patio and include full kitchens and all of the comforts of home. Enjoy two swimming pools (one family pool with a children’s pool and one quiet spa pool), three Jacuzzis, sauna, playground, tennis courts, volleyball, fitness center, and on-site activities like hula lessons and dive instruction. The abundance of things to do on the Big Island found within easy distance of the Kona Coast Resort is as remarkable as it is exhilarating. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Kona Coast Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kona Coast Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Kona Coast Resort Hawaii/Kailua-Kona