“Best Italian Restaurant on the Big Island”
Review of Amici Ristorante Italiano - CLOSED

Amici Ristorante Italiano
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This restaurant is kinda hard to find even if there is a big sign advertising it from the road that runs by it. The entrance is in the back. Once in though you find a very traditional Italian restaurant. The menu is pretty extensive with many options. Four of us had an order of bruschetta and an order of fried mozzarella for appies to share. The orders were plentiful and very tasty. Sliced grape tomatoes on the bruschetta was different but great. Two of us had the ragu with meatballs which was outstanding. The other two had the fish of the day special, and both raved about it. We were too full to try the dessert, but the ones that went past our table looked delicious. Our server was extremely helpful. We will definitely go back when we are back to Kona for our annual vacation.

1  Thank Callingwood

Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

We stumbled across this restaurant while hungry. Apparently previously south of Kona, that location closed when the theater closed. Now on the north side of Kona on Kaiwi street. Lunch was good, servers were attentive. I had the local fresh cod, wife and kids had different pastas. Think I liked my daughter's "red" sauce in the kids pasta the best. All sauces were freshly made.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We came since some acquaintances said they were celebrating their birthday there. We arrived around 5:30, and were seated 'outdoors'. It was 'nice'. Not great, but nice. The waiter seemed as full of himself as many, but pleasant enough. Service was a bit slow, but we are on vacation. The food was excellent! Isn't this what you want from a restaurant? We were taken by the number of locals with their children, given the 'pricey' (a lot higher than Micky D's) menu, and actually delighted in talking to our neighboring tables. Portions were so generous that we could not finish our meals, although I personally only ordered three 'appetizers'. The bruschetta? Tasty, but a tad too salty. The calamari? I would opt for the fried over the sautéed. The eggplant lasagna? Magnifico! As was my sangria. And my wife's pasta. I'd visit there again.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We met friends that live on the Big Island for dinner, the restaurant used to be close to their home but it moved into Kona. We sat out on a patio and ate wonderful food in a unhurried setting. The staff and owner were friendly. The inside of the restaurant is undergoing some kind of renovation, so it is only patio dining. It is in a industrial part of town, but well worth looking for.

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

I might be a bit critical because I'm in the industry but the service is unbelievably sloooooow. After waiting 22 minutes for drinks she didn't bring all of them. The waitress had no idea what multi tasking is. She would bring checks out one at a time as well as food and drinks. That's why they make trays lady. The only thing she was fast about was dropping the check. My rigatoni was bland and runny. The bread tasted 2 days old. Don't go there!

1  Thank hobbit82