“The weed smoking is a problem at the hostel”

Koa Wood Hale - Patey's Place Hostel
US
“The weed smoking is a problem at the hostel”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I can definitely say the hostel is worth staying at but they have a problem there that no one seems to acknowledge, not even the site manager. Weed smoking is allowed on the premises. Other reviewer complained about, thin mattresses, one bathroom for the entire hostel, even the fact that there is occasional partying. None of that affected me, and I'm known to be flexible and often adaptable to the new changes. But I set my boundaries and that is I do not tolerate drug activity including weed smoking. Smoking marijuana around or near a hostel is unacceptable by any standards. James is a manager with great potential, I really enjoyed his company, he does a good job maintaining the hostel but he's got a soft spot for he goes out of his way to be friendly with anyone staying there allowing some of irrational behavior -weed smoking. The odor of weed smoke at night (although not every night) was unbearable, enough to ruin my stay.
James, if you read this, you need to have a serious talk with your guy Daniel. His habits of smoking grass under the window of the corner dorm room should be addressed respectively. You need a more aggressive stand and all the drug activity should be prohibited on the hostel premises. Or else your friends there will run the hostel into the ground.
The only problem I see at your hostel is the weed smoking. That hostel would be a much better place if this issue was addressed properly. It has the potential of becoming a desired place to stay in Kona for the young travelers. And everyone caught with a twisted pipe in his backpack should be kicked out. Period

Room Tip: Tell James you have a problem with drug activity. May be this will persuade him to kick out all thos...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
13 Thank LifeisabeachHawaii

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

I've never stayed in a hostel before, so I was nervous to see how I would like it. I'd read about the place before I got there, and there are some bad reviews. I stayed there from January 24 - march 3 and I loved it there! I was in the girls dorm, where there's two bunk beds. I felt surprisingly safe with having my things laying around. The people that I've met at this hostel were so friendly and nice, and I made some long-life friends here.

When it comes to cleanliness, they clean the place every day. The sofa has seen its better days, but you can't expect perfection for everything. They do have cockroaches, but more important, they have a cute cat who takes care that :) To be honest, in my time at this hostel, I saw 5 cockroaches all together, so I didn't see that as a problem.

I can definitely recommend this hostel to everyone who is traveling and Big Island is a beautiful place to be. Mahalo Koa Wood Hale, for my first hostel experience. It was awesome and I'll see you soon :)

Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Line A
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I have traveled around allot, also in relay poor countries, like Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Zambia Malawi etc. So I'm not spoiled. It is definitely not a place you wold expect to find in this part of the world.

A mattress that thin, made the stay a real pain. And it not only thin, it also fall apart.

One toilet with shower shared by twelve people makes it a bit frustrating if the nature calls.

The cleaning does definitely not keep a very high standard. When opening the fridge it smelled like a dead cat or something worse. So I did not store any food there. But fetching a cold beer you need two hand one for the beer and one for covering the nose.

Just a little bit of effort from the staff could make this place good. But they are just fuzzy.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Mattias N
Hooksett, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed 10 February 2013

We had a wonderful stay at Patey's Place/Koa Wood Hale. We checked in around 9pm and James and his staff greeted us and delivered our suitcases to our room. The first morning we woke up to the beautiful sunshine and started to check out the place. The whole place was very clean and the kitchen had everything needed to cook. The water pressure in the shower was fantastic and always hot water. Outside our room on the deck was a large table and chairs so every morning and evening we sat and could see the ocean.The location is perfect its only a short walk to the beach and all the shops. It was quiet for sleeping and James and his staff were extremely friendly.We would stay again! Thank you James and Staff for a great experience in Hawaii..

Room Tip: Koa Wood Hale is a Hostel not a Hotel just remember to keep that in mind when booking!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Bonnie B
New Zealand
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We had a large number of people using one bathroom (12 people) which was really difficult. The cleanliness of the place was not very good, especially the bathroom.

Nothing was ever locked, my room did not lock and there were no lockers offered. I did not feel very safe there.

There are a number of long term people staying there, and it feels like they take over the hostel a lot, kitchen, lounge etc. They even steal other peoples bed if you are not in them early enough. On my last night 1 person slept in his car because his bed was taken by a long term resident who was supposed to sleep on the couch and another person had to kick someone else out of his bed.

It was not as close to town as I had expected. This was not a problem for me since I had a car, but if you don't you will have a bit of a walk up hill to get to the hostel.

I would not recommend this hostel to others.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank kiwi_kiwi_07
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 11 December 2012

we stayed here for 4 nights, it was clean room with a shared kitchen and bathrroom. easy access to the kona. there was no atmosphere like most backpackers have, it was way to quiet, we felt very out of place and we are normaly quiet. everyone just sat around and played music and smoked weed. it sound ok but it realy wasnt. you will be better of staying at a place called billys the addy is 75-5739 alli dr kailua-kona. its accross the road from the shore, has a pool, with hotel service and its only $10 more than pateys place (our friends stayed there and we pretty much stayed with them by the pool. if we hadnt booked for all of our nights i would stayed there in a flash.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank louise b
Atlanta
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Pros:
- The people were very positive, friendly, and helpful. (read: AMAZING!)
- Central location, short walk away from Kona Brewing Company

Cons:
- Location is a bit hard to get to, if you are walking and not expecting an upwards hill
- Outside area could have used some cleaning

If you are looking for a cheap, fun, and chill place to stay, this is it. If you are expecting a hotel, perhaps you should look elsewhere.

If you are looking for a laid-back environment and to meet some wonderful people, this is the place for you.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Kona Seaside Hotel
Hedonisia Hawaii Sustainable Community
Kona Islander Inn
Kona Islander Inn
#32 of 35 in Kailua-Kona

Been to Koa Wood Hale - Patey's Place Hostel? Share your experiences!