“e9O4Lsr8” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Koa Wood Hale - Patey's Place Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
Koa Wood Hale - Patey's Place Hostel
New Zealand
“e9O4Lsr8”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

I stayed in this place just one night on 6 October and was badly bitten by bed bugs all over my body. This was an absolutely terrible experience. I was not able to fall asleep even for 5 minutes, scratching myself all night - only discovering the horrible, disgusting truth at 5 am in the morning.
The staff told me in the morning, when I was leaving, that apparently they tried to fumigate this place without success ?
I found the kitchen also quite dirty.
I told the hostel staff that I would not stay in this place again, even if they paid me to do so.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

My son and I stayed at Koa Wood Hale for just one night in September 2013. We certainly couldn’t have tolerated it for more than one night. It is a disgrace that there are tourist publications that recommend this place. It is a disgrace. Nowhere on this planet will you find such a dirty and dilapidated place as this one. It is small, having only two rooms for total of eight guests and one small bathroom with a tub and shower. It looks worse than a barracks - more like a Nazi prisoners camp. It looks like it has been totally abandoned by the owners and has not been repaired or refreshed for many years. While we were there one of the guests was badly bitten at night by some kind of insects, probably bedbugs. His bed linens were badly soiled by blood spots and his mattress was removed in the morning. So coming back home required us to take some precautions. We set the suitcases outside until we could wash everything in hot water.

During our stay the young people who pretend to be the managers and cleaners spent most of the time on the beach or smoking pot in the hostel. They looked drugged even in the morning and appeared to have bug bites all over their legs and arms. I recommend that if there aren't other hostels available in the Kona area, stay in tents or find a budget hotel (Manago, for example), or sleep on the beach. Do not stay here. What is the city sanitary department looking at, or are there no inspections?

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank nina_swims
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Koa Wood Hale has an intimate setting for travelers. Only a few people at a time makes for great conversation between travelers from all over - playing games on the patio, going out to the pier, grabbing dinner on the shore... I was surprised at how many single travelers there are, this makes finding activities easier when you've got someone to tag along! Accommodates many styles: private and dorm rooms, even tents & hammocks! :) Great people, great experience, safe place. Alooooha!

Room Tip: Private Room tip: In both private apartments, rooms A are facing the ocean and can get a little hot...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

If you are looking for an affordable, warm place to stay in Kailua-Kona, Koa Wood Hale is the right place! The hostel is small, and there is never more than 20 persons here at the same time, which kind of brings everybody together. James and the rest of the staff did not hesitate to take guests snorkeling with them, and that was really appreciated. Also, because of the small number of guests, Koa Wood Hale feels safer than your average hostel, and this even though the dorms are not locked, as a few reviews mention.
The room was clean and both sheets and towels were provided. Downtown, supermarkets and farmers market are walking distance.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
US
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

I can definitely say the hostel is worth staying at but they have a problem there that no one seems to acknowledge, not even the site manager. Weed smoking is allowed on the premises. Other reviewer complained about, thin mattresses, one bathroom for the entire hostel, even the fact that there is occasional partying. None of that affected me, and I'm known to be flexible and often adaptable to the new changes. But I set my boundaries and that is I do not tolerate drug activity including weed smoking. Smoking marijuana around or near a hostel is unacceptable by any standards. James is a manager with great potential, I really enjoyed his company, he does a good job maintaining the hostel but he's got a soft spot for he goes out of his way to be friendly with anyone staying there allowing some of irrational behavior -weed smoking. The odor of weed smoke at night (although not every night) was unbearable, enough to ruin my stay.
James, if you read this, you need to have a serious talk with your guy Daniel. His habits of smoking grass under the window of the corner dorm room should be addressed respectively. You need a more aggressive stand and all the drug activity should be prohibited on the hostel premises. Or else your friends there will run the hostel into the ground.
The only problem I see at your hostel is the weed smoking. That hostel would be a much better place if this issue was addressed properly. It has the potential of becoming a desired place to stay in Kona for the young travelers. And everyone caught with a twisted pipe in his backpack should be kicked out. Period

Room Tip: Tell James you have a problem with drug activity. May be this will persuade him to kick out all thos...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank LifeisabeachHawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

I've never stayed in a hostel before, so I was nervous to see how I would like it. I'd read about the place before I got there, and there are some bad reviews. I stayed there from January 24 - march 3 and I loved it there! I was in the girls dorm, where there's two bunk beds. I felt surprisingly safe with having my things laying around. The people that I've met at this hostel were so friendly and nice, and I made some long-life friends here.

When it comes to cleanliness, they clean the place every day. The sofa has seen its better days, but you can't expect perfection for everything. They do have cockroaches, but more important, they have a cute cat who takes care that :) To be honest, in my time at this hostel, I saw 5 cockroaches all together, so I didn't see that as a problem.

I can definitely recommend this hostel to everyone who is traveling and Big Island is a beautiful place to be. Mahalo Koa Wood Hale, for my first hostel experience. It was awesome and I'll see you soon :)

Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Line A
Gothenburg, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

I have traveled around allot, also in relay poor countries, like Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Zambia Malawi etc. So I'm not spoiled. It is definitely not a place you wold expect to find in this part of the world.

A mattress that thin, made the stay a real pain. And it not only thin, it also fall apart.

One toilet with shower shared by twelve people makes it a bit frustrating if the nature calls.

The cleaning does definitely not keep a very high standard. When opening the fridge it smelled like a dead cat or something worse. So I did not store any food there. But fetching a cold beer you need two hand one for the beer and one for covering the nose.

Just a little bit of effort from the staff could make this place good. But they are just fuzzy.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends