“Awesome hostel!! Highly recommend.”

Koa Wood Hale - Patey's Place Hostel
“Awesome hostel!! Highly recommend.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

The hostel is under new mgmt - I stayed there 2 nights and the staff were super friendly. It was very clean and spacious. Location was tops - close to the beach and bars and action of Kona. The place had an awesome vibe, I loved it and would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Met so many cool travellers here! The Staff were very friendly and helped with any questions I had about the island. They made me feel very welcome and easily made my stay in Kona a highlight of my time in Hawaii. I found the hostel very clean and comfortable. Would definitely go back and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to stay near Kona!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Clean friendly and low cost
I would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a sweet stay in Kona.
Located in the middle of Kona the beach is a short walk and so are most good restaurants.
I found the staff eager to help.
If you are looking for a great value and a home like place to rest while traveling check this place out.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Owen L
Marysville, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

The peeps is what makes it happy and healthy. Everyone is considerate and caring, sharing, positive. The environment is clean and the geckos simply say hello, and then go on their merry way, as geckos are want to do. The furnishings are not luxurious, but hey, it's a hostel. Everything you could possibly need or want is within walking distance. Aloha abounds. Happy trails!

Room Tip: Share a private room with a friend and you get a little less sleeping society at almost the same pri...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Molly M
Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

... and would not have stayed a second. I have stayed in hostels all over the world ... I know a lot of times the guests of the hostel can make or break the impression of the place. And we left with a very broken impression. I felt like I might "catch" something my one night there. From the mattresses with no protective coverings, a bathroom that should have been closed for renovations, guests without underwear sleeping on the floor of our common area. The fans didn't seem to work and the heat was stifling which didn't help with the lingering smell of "pot". When we tried to leave in the morning, another car had parked behind us and we could not get out. After waking a few of the guests that seemed to be sleeping where ever they fell, we were able to get the car moved and get on with our day. I will recommend this place if your other option is the street.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kkzfrog
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

The staff is very friendly. I arrived knowing nobody in Hawaii and after only 3 days met a lot of quality people. Meeting other travelers as well as locals made the stay so much better. The rooms are clean and the aura laid back. Located a 10 minute walk from the ocean front allowed me to not require a car to go everywhere. Beautiful sunsets seen from the balcony

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Alexander C
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

This place is pretty good! I found the staff to be very accommodating, they stayed open a late to check me in. Room is pretty clean. Sure, I saw a cockroach, but you will see cockroaches everywhere, in any place in Hawaii. Nothing is ever really locked, so if you are concerned about that sort of thing it might not be the place for you. If you are interested in a comfy bed, meeting some chill people, and staying at a decent (and affordable) location I would totally recommend this place. I actually stayed here on 2 separate occasions because I enjoyed it so much. Stoked!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Kona Seaside Hotel
Hedonisia Hawaii Sustainable Community
Kona Islander Inn
Kona Islander Inn
#32 of 35 in Kailua-Kona

Been to Koa Wood Hale - Patey's Place Hostel? Share your experiences!