“Beautiful property, but $$$ meals”

Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta,Georgia
“Beautiful property, but $$$ meals”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Sheraton Kona just completed renovation. The property has beautiful gardens. Our room was spacious. It was a mountain view room, but looked over parking lot and trees blocked view of Mauna Loa. There are 3 restaurants plus coffee shop, however, Ainakai is only open for breakfast at $25 for buffet, Holua poolside bar and grill only open for lunch and Rays on the Bay only open for dinner. See my review for Rays. Our room was 4267, which was in wing 4, on 2nd floor. It was right by the elevator that was closest to the parking lot, so everyone used this elevator when leaving or returning to the hotel. the elevator door was just outside our door. It took a while for us to discern what the constant noise was, thinking it was coming from the bathroom. Then realized we could hear the elevator, which was constantly running until around midnight,then was quiet until about 4-5 am. We decided we could tolerate the noise, but I was glad to finally leave. Also , one night we had problem finding a parking space as there was a dance in the convention hall next to hotel that night. The valet parking lot was closest to the hotel, so you had to walk farther from the back parking lot. It would make more sense for the valet parking to be further away than the other lot.

Room Tip: Do not get room near elevator on wing 4.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Sheraton K, Guest Experience Team at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Aloha DLfromATL,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful grounds and spacious rooms!

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay, and have shared this with our management team. Please know that we are reviewing the Food & Beverage hours and operations for our outlets on property, as we look for ways to enhance our guest's experiences. We have also initiated a preventative maintenance program recently which was not in place previously, which includes a complete strategic engineering and housekeeping overhaul of every room to ensure our final product is in perfect condition.

Thank you again for your review. We appreciate your comments, and the opportunity to improve on our guest services. Mahalo nui loa!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (829)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Oakdale, New York
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Sheraton Kona was just beautiful. Location was perfect, and the grounds were amazing. The staff was friendly upon check in and the room was fabulous! The bed was super comfortable, and the view amazing. We didn't have our children with us this trip but could see this hotel was perfect for families also. They had washer and dryers, and a sand bottom lagoon on one side of the pool for smaller children. The drinks we had at the poolside bar were delicious, and the food just as good. The concierge was so helpful at planning our events while in Kona, even though I never wanted to leave the hotel! They had Valet parking and friendly staff greeting you every time you left or arrived back. The restaurant in the hotel is Rays on the Bay. It was simply amazing. The food was superb and the manta rays come right to the edge of the water. You can watch them while you eat. I have never seen anything like it. Overall, I would give this hotel an A+!!!

Aloha Tess B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful Resort and friendly staff! As we strive to achieve excellence in customer service, it is wonderful to receive such positive comments from our valued guests, and we will be sure to share this with our entire team!

Thank you again for your review! We hope to welcome you back to the Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay in the future! Mahalo nui loa!
Los Angeles
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

On the positive side: the check-in staff was friendly and efficient. So was the restaurant staff. The hotel's location right on the ocean makes for excellent whale and surf watching.

On the negative side: We paid for an ocean front room and got 2/3 pool view, with a lot of pool noise and 1/3 ocean view. Across the hallway from us were rooms with 100 % ocean front. When we asked to change rooms we were told none were available. Obviously the interpretation of what is oceanfront is up to management not the guest. Adding to the negative: our room had a very poorly insulated connector door to the room next to us. We could hear the neighbors morning throat clearing as if if was happening in our bathroom. Awful. Oh and regarding the mandatory resort fee; I consider that to be bad business ethics unfortunately standard practice for American Hotel corporations.

Stayed March 2014
Aloha SubPsyche,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our wonderful location and friendly staff!

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay, and have shared your concerns with our management team. Please know that we are reviewing many of the current policies and procedures in place at our Resort, as we look for ways to enhance our guest's experiences. We have also initiated a preventative maintenance program recently which was not in place previously. This process is a complete strategic engineering and housekeeping overhaul of every room to ensure our final product is in perfect condition.

Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Off the top I had an amazing stay at the Sheraton Kona resort and spa in Hawaii.
I had such a nice time that I had to write a review, in sections: 1-location 2-room 3-service 4-dining

First off the location is amazing you must get an ocean front view. You’ll see the sun go up and down and stare at the sky with waves crashing over the ancient volcanic rock. It’s so peaceful and powerful at once. Of course you got the room with the view so you can spend time room on the balconies with the wicker chairs and patio table. But if you want to spend some time at night out, there is a huge space with a pool and hot tubs to relax in and watching the night sky and stars, with the ocean right in front of you. There are also outdoor bed thingies and chairs to sit by the pool as well. It’s so great in the day time as well. You could also take a stroll around the very large property with its pathways and gardens. Some of the gardens are filled with small, medium and large volcanic rock pieces. I travelled alone this time but if I was with my bebe’ I would have relaxed with her in the double hammock inside the resort which is surrounded by a garden. There are two large pools inside the resort, one I already mentioned. The other is really nice as well. There’s a convenience store and gift shop so if you want to wander around at night with a beer, stop there and get some Hawaiian beer for way cheaper than the restaurants and enjoy the night there's a lot of couches and places to sit.

My room was great and large. I felt at home in it. Sheraton's bedding (bed duvets, pillows,) are very high quality, it’s like sleeping on feathers. You can check out the bedding on their website, and even buy it. You get a heavy duvet and a lighter one, for whatever you like. Soft like silk I swear and totally breathable, so you can sleep with the patio door wide open The pillows and bed were so comfy that I wasted 20 dollars because I ordered a movie and fell asleep in about 10 minutes ( two times). Speaking of that, the selection of movies is large and full.
FYI, There are also adult movies but you can ask the desk to remove the listings if you have children staying.

A great thing was the five dollar coupons (per day) I got for posting a no housekeeping sign on my door. I wound up with 45 dollars’ worth which I could use for any of the 4 restaurants/café in the resort. Instead of them coming every morning you can just call when you need something from room service like trash removal, new towels or shampoo, coffee etc. it’s the Sheraton eco-friendly option. There’s also a little slip to put in the lock for peace and quiet. So they don’t bother, double for sure. Lol

Now onto the guest service. Everyone I came into contact with was respectful very nice and helpful. I’m talking front desk and room service down to housekeeping and security/handyman. They all had something nice to say and seemed happy. I had some special requests for my room and they accommodated, I got exactly what I wanted. During my stay I had various requests from dining to cleaning, which were all met without any issue.

The dining options were alright. The breakfast buffet was really nice and had a custom omelet corner and a wide variety of options, from oatmeal and French toast to miso soup, lots of fresh fruit and tropical juices. Coffee and tea as well.
Rays on the bay s great with fire pits at your ocean side table. The menu needs some changing though.
In room dining was not bad but pricey. For choices it was ok as well. But I think they should add more items/variety considering how large the resort is.

The café is real nice and cozy, Kona coffee, fresh fruit, cold drinks, lattes, fresh homemade croissants, you name it. I loved the coconut almond breve, my issue was that the café closed at 1pm and didn’t stay open till later. I’m a café guy and would have loved to sit there in the late afternoon. They should really consider keeping it open
I’ll definitely be back for another stay

Room Tip: high floors are amazing in the ocean front rooms which have roomy lanai's with cushioned wicker...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Aloha Dimitri t,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful Resort and amenities! As we strive to achieve excellence in customer service, it is wonderful to receive such positive comments from our valued guests, and we will be sure to share this with our entire team!

We sincerely appreciate your comments regarding our Food & Beverage outlets and Keauhou Coffee Company, and have shared this with our management team. Please know that we are reviewing our current operations and procedures in these areas, as we work to enhance our guest's experiences.

Thank you again for your review. We hope to welcome you back to the Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa in the future! Mahalo nui loa!
Redlands, California
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I would rather rate this a 4.5, but since many of my criticisms are nitpicking or were known going it, I'll give it a five.

The location is simply beautiful. The staff was mostly polite and helpful (save for the Towel "lady", who was a bit unfriendly.) The room was better than I expected and bed quite comfortable. The amenities are nice. The balcony is large and comfortable. For several breakfasts, we bought milk and cold cereal at the Walmart up the road and ate at the balcony table while enjoying the view.

I found the parking to be nice and I never had a problem finding a space, unlike some other resorts.

Nitpicking:

The light for the thermostat was so bright, it lit up the room at night. I covered it with paper, but it was still absurd. (Lights from the broadband modem were also annoying--LED light problems are becoming more common in hotels and it baffles me why management is so obtuse about it.)

The pool isn't heated. However, in late afternoon, the outside portion heats up enough that it felt slightly warmer than the water at Hapuna beach.

The resort fee: everyone does them, so I won't take a star off, but why isn't this just included in the price?

I'm not a drinker nor do I like ordering food at a pool, but from I observed, the service was inconsistent; some people got great service, others not so much. One of the servers was attentive and nice, but I think was overworked due to the others being less than professional.

The hallway in my wing echoed and in late evening the noise could be heard through the door. Fortunately, most the guests were quiet, so it never became a problem. On the plus side, I rarely heard any indication I had neighbors above, below or on the side and even then it was so faint as to be inconsequential.

Conclusion:

Turns out that I don't particularly like the Big Island and have no intention of returning. Were I to do so, I'd stay again without hesitation. I only wish the Sheraton were transplanted to Turtle Bay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Aloha GatoRat,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful location and friendly staff!

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay, and have shared this with our management team. Please know that we are in the process of completely retraining all our staff with the most up-to-date Starwood Hotels & Resorts policies and procedures, to ensure that our services meet our valued guest's expectations.

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Just returned from a wonderful vacation in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii. We asked for a king size bed in an ocean view room and were upgraded to a full oceanfront view room, where we enjoyed watching the sunset every night!
Some people have commented that it is noisy, once in awhile we would hear noises from the hallway and other rooms, but nothing major. I have seen others complain about the resort fees, and I would just like to say that a lot of hotels have resort fees and it is stated clearly that there is a resort fee and when you check in again they tell you of it.
The trolley stops right outside the front door and is free to guests because of the resort fee. We used the trolley daily and enjoyed it. I also appreciated the use of the towels from the towel hut for the hotel pool or when we went snorkeling they also let you take them. I have also read other complaints of cleaning the pool in the middle of the night and it was noisy because slept with door open. I am not sure when you think they should clean the pool, and if the noise bothers you, then you should close your door...Every morning when we sat on our balcony we watched the staff finishing up cleaning the pool and admired their dedication and excellent job they did! Something that also impressed me was when a manager? came out when the guys were cleaning the pool and he told them what a great job they did too. Makes me think that it might be a good place to work too.
We liked the room service as well, some nights we didn't feel like eating much or going out so we would order a pizza board or chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese which were served quickly, delicious and very reasonably priced too. They also gave you two bottled water every day, which was handy, so when you went out you never had to search for a place to grab a water.
There is also a poolside restaurant where they will serve you right by the pool, so you don't have to move all day if you don't want to! The waiters at the pool are wonderful too, it must get to be a long day walking on cement and serving people all day, but they were always polite and very fast service!
Another thing we appreciated was on our last day, checkout was at noon, but our flight wasn't until 11pm, so we were allowed use of a hospitality room for half an hour to shower and get ready for our flight. This meant we could go for a swim during the day and have somewhere more comfortable and private to get ready than a washroom.
We chose the Sheraton Kona Resort because the year before we had stayed at the Sheraton in Maui and received the same great service and hospitality.
I highly recommend this hotel, the only bad thing I can say is that our trip went by too fast!

Room Tip: I always like to upgrade to at least a partial ocean view if not a full ocean view.
Aloha leelala,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experiences at our beautiful Resort, and sincerely appreciate your wonderful comments! We are continuously looking for ways to enhance our guest's experiences, and will be sure to share your positive feedback with our entire team!

Reviewed 1 March 2014

We couldn't have asked for better at the Sheraton. Everyone was friendly. The restaurants had good food and good service. The location was ideal, right on the ocean yet away from the chaos of the tourist trap of downtown. It was cool to see the Manta Rays at night and to be able to stroll by the ocean and the beautiful property grounds at night. The pool was really nice right up against the ocean and was never crowded. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank HeatherRW1984
Aloha HeatherRW1984,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful Resort and unique Manta Ray experience! As we strive to achieve excellence in customer service, it is wonderful to receive such positive comments from our valued guests, and we will be sure to share this with our entire team!

Thank you again for your review! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa in the future! Mahalo nui loa!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,797 reviews

Been to Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay? Share your experiences!