Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
US$205
HIExpress.com
Great 4.5/5
  • Breakfast included
Kona Seaside Hotel(Kailua-Kona)(Great Value!)
US$176
TripAdvisor
Kona Tiki Hotel(Kailua-Kona)
2,872 results
All reviewsrays on the baybay restaurantmanta raykeauhou baythe big islandself parkinga mountain view roomfree trolleyocean frontbreakfast buffetcoffee shopgreat poolpoolside barpool sidepool staffoceanfront roombeautiful grounds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Pros:
-property is nice, situated on cliffs, lovely sunsets.
-The pools are nice and well maintained, they have a water-slide, volleyball nets and 2 hot tubs.
-drink/food prices are reasonable.
-close to Kona and local restaurants and shopping.
-lots of seating at the pools.
-fireplaces at rays on the bay were a cozy place to enjoy a drink and watch the manta rays in the water. Also great place to watch sunset.

Cons:
-rooms were very dated.
-we had ants and a cockroach in our room.
-showers were old and shower heads clogged.
-food was average. We drove into Kona for most of our meals (cheaper and better quality).
-no beach
-we were told we were upgraded to a partial ocean-view. I couldn't see any ocean, just a parking lot.

I would return, but I'd explore other options first.

2  Thank csmears
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The Big Island doesn't have as many nice hotels or resorts as Maui, Oahu, or even Kauai. For the Kailua-Kona area, Sheraton is probably the best. This is an older hotel, bought by Sheraton in a few years ago and remodeled. However, the structure and layout still shows its age, especially the elevators, room layouts, and pool area. It was probably a really nice resort back in the 80s. Sheraton has renovated the rooms and they're okay. Standard Sheraton rooms. Avoid the ones overlooking the lobby driveway, as they get noisy and may get insect infestations.

Large, well-manicured pool but shallow. Also filled with locals on the weekends as they can rent a Cabana for around $40 a day I think and bring the whole family. Depends on if you're okay with that, but they don't really bother anyone. One of the largest hotel pool slides I've ever seen, but could use more water flow or you need superb water sliding techniques to make it to the pool without stopping. Lands in 4ft of water so don't try head first.

Grounds is on the signature black rocks of the Big Island, so no beach. There are small beaches dotted all along the coast, along Ali'i drive, if you're in need of that. Hotel is located right next to Keahou bay and marina as well, as I saw some people kayaking in that area. The lobby is fully renovated and boasts a nice panoramic ocean view but the area is often cloudy, so again you might want to lower your expectations for the Big Island. You want to come to the Big Island for the natural beauty of the island, with amazing experiences at Kilauea and Mauna Kea observatory. You also get a lot more local culture as the Big Island does not have as high of a tourist to local ratio as the other islands.

I didn't eat at the hotel, but supposedly Mantas on the Bay has a nice setting, with Manta Rays coming in at night regularly. Service was just adequate, with experienced front desk that will ignore your calls but if they do answer, be as nice as possible. Adequate enough.

Overall a pretty good hotel, and a pretty good value in the area. Centrally located for the activities you'll want to do, and also located to many local eats as well. Try Da Poke Shack about 8-12 minutes away on Ali'i drive, #1 rated in the nation on Yelp. Prepare for a 20-30 minute line if you go between the hours of 11am and 3pm. Also you probably shouldn't miss Kona Brewing company while in town. Great American style food.

4  Thank milty908
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We were at the hotel only two days, but we walked the grounds for hours to soak in as much of the ambiance as possible before heading to Maui. We planned nothing while at the Sheraton, and the hotel environment delivered on a restful, relaxing, romantic time for a couple heading toward our 50th wedding anniversary. Great place to rekindle the fire!

Room Tip: We requested a room by the elevator, and the staff obliged. Ask for what you want, and they will try to fit your needs.
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Went on Priceline and booked our stay for $131.30 with tax. So I was pretty happy :) We got there and got checked in a minute! FASTEST ever!!! Parking was a little far, but what hotel isn't right? When I checked in, I asked for them to put a crib in for my child. By the time we parked and got up to the room, it was there! Super fast service! The room was pretty BIG! I was surprised! We had the mountain view which was pretty good, we're usually used to "mt. view" as looking at a parking lot or something, but we could actually see the mountain, AND some ocean. So A+ there! There was a coffee maker with more than one each of coffee, so I was happy because, I am a heavy coffee drinker. There was reusable cups by the sink and on the vanity. The refrigerator was nicely hidden in the nighstand, we brought some poke and milk with us, so we were happy it was i working condition. We checked in pretty late, and didn't get down to the pool till 5:30pm, so the poolside bar was already closed, we swam for a bit then headed up to the room to get ready for dinner. After dinner we were pretty full and exhausted so we headed back to the room, everyone showered and jumped i bed, then we realized, woops, we need another blanket and pillow for the crib, so we ordered one, and in minutes they arrived. Bed was super comfortable. I knocked out all the way till morning! When we woke up we ate some of our leftovers from dinner the night before, go ready and headed down to the pool around 10a.m. The hotel was very lively by that time, lots of people, the slide was turned on, which made my daughter super excited. We went to the towel booth and got some towels, then proceeded to sit down under some chairs in the shade. I saw a couple of open cabanas and thought, how nice it would be to have one. Every hotel we ever stayed at was easily priced at $100-$200 for the day. So I curiously strolled back to the desk and asked the price.... $25!!! Are you kidding me?! SO So SO happy! We got one, and immediately orrdered some food from the poolside bar n grill. Our food and drinks came pretty quickly and service was excellent. There was a nice childrens area with sand and some water fountains, prefect for my 2 year old. My five year old on the other hand was in heaven. At some other hotels, she is too short to ride the slides, this one, she just had to be 4 and able to swim! WINNING! We had to pry her off of that thing to eat lunch! We took a short break to go check out of our room (which they gave us an extra hour to check out for free). Gathered our belongings, put it in the car, and back to the pool we went. On the way back we noticed a bunch of young children in a room neaar the pool. So we stopped to observe them. They were all coloring and drawing, watching tv and playing with some playdough. So I opened the door, and there goes my 5 year old, she stayed in there for about an hour. Again, she was in heaven. After that ack to the pool we went. Stayed till about 4 pm. Then left, before we even reached the parking lot, my two year old who was crying to stay fell asleep walking!!!! She was pooped from having so much fun. My 5 year old slept as soon as we got in the car! Overall BEST hotel we stayed in by far!

ONLY thing they should maybe invest in, AS SHOULD ALL hotels, is a DVD player! :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2014

The hotel was wonderful. We are members of the Sheraton Preferred Guest program so when we checked in they upgraded our room (based on availability). The room (4769) we had was actually a suite in tower 4, 7th floor. It was very clean, comfortable and nicely furnished and had an excellent view. The staff was very professional and friendly. Not as impressed with the room service. The food came in disposable containers and to have real dishes would incur a $15 charge. The food was okay (nothing to write home about) and overpriced.

Room Tip: This room is conveniently located right next to an elevator but it does come with some noise. The higher the floor the better the views.
2  Thank Nonie3150