“Faded and overpriced”

GreenLeadersSilver level
North Sydney, Australia
“Faded and overpriced”
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Overall 4/10, isolated location, amenities 6/10, room 7/10, service 5/10, breakfast 5/10, restaurant 5/10, food 5/10, restaurant service 8/10. Irritating cost add-ons. Overpriced. Overall 4/10, isolated location, amenities 6/10, room 7/10, service 5/10, breakfast 5/10, restaurant 5/10, food 5/10, restaurant service 8/10. Irritating cost add-ons.

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Happy-but-choosy
Sheraton T, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for staying with us here at the Sheraton Kona Resort and for sharing your gift of valuable feedback. This allows us the opportunity to share with our management team towards working on improvements at various levels at the resort. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We had our favorite travel agent Karen Nowalsky of Take Wing Travel book our trip. She has never let us down and this trip was yet another perfect pick. We stayed in an ocean view suite; the views and breezes were perfect, beautiful views of the chapel, mountains and ocean. We could have stayed on the lanai our entire trip! Instead, we took full advantage of the staff's advise on restaurants, beaches and must do's. The location of the resort was perfect for exploring the rest of the island, it made coming home to our beautiful suite that much sweeter each day. We enjoyed cocktails and sunsets by the pool and dinner at Rays on the Bay watching mantas under the stars. The Lilikoi and Banana Duo dessert is a must try! We look forward to our next visit!!!

Room Tip: The ocean view suites on the chapel side have perfect views of the ocean and mountains.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KrystalBurroughs
Sheraton T, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Aloha Krystal,

We are delighted to hear that your stay with us was perfect from the moment you arrived to your departure! Exploring the island and then coming home to your Sheraton Ohana (family) is exactly what we want every guest to experience while staying with us! I must agree with you that our suite lanai's with breathtaking views of the ocean and mountains are amazing! We look forward to welcoming you back to your home in the Islands!
Venice, Florida
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The first night we were at this hotel, the hotel lost power. We did not have power again for nearly 24 hours. You would think a Sheraton would make accomodations or give guests incentives or something for the glitch, but they did not. Even after I contacted Customer Service through Sheraton I never received a response. Then at the end of the stay I wanted to print my boarding pass, but they said I was not a "Starwood Preferred Guest" and would not let me use the printer. Why would I want to be a preferred guest when customer service at the Sheraton is so poor? ASIDE from iffy customer service, the hotel is gorgeous. The pool is fabulous, and the couples massage we booked was the best we've ever had (and we've had plenty!) The property grounds are beautiful and made for nice walks in the morning, and the restaurants were great!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Aloha,

Thank you so much for your recent review and for staying with us here at the Sheraton Kona Resort! We are sorry that we did not meet your full expectations during your last stay and hope to be able to in the future. We are also glad you enjoyed the resort.
Keaau, Hawaii
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The last time I visited this hotel, construction crews were everywhere. Our conference had to meet in a tent on the lawn. This time, the renewed convention center was fantastic. The bedrooms were upgraded and beds were most comfortable. The in-room, lobby and convention center wireless worked just fine. Banquet food was plentiful and tasty. The restaurant Rays on the Bay was amazing with truffle oil in the pesto-locally grown mushroom-fresh greens-and farm cheese topped flat bread, a healthy portion of lobster tail originally from Maine, but raised in the Kona cold water pumped up from the deep sea at the Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawaii Authority. Every staff member was genuinely welcoming and courteous. Small difficulties were tended to immediately and with smiles. Our conference planned an activity with origami cranes to be presented to a local group. Hotel staff from management to front desk joined in the effort. The only drawback was a lack of light at the outdoor evening banquet. Thank goodness several people brought purse size flashlights. I stayed an extra day for a birthday treat at the spa and was very happy with the massage and facial experience.

Room Tip: I wanted to be close tot he convention center so building 4 was perfect AND we had an ocean view acr...
Green Features: Hang the green room door sign out before 2 a.m. and get a $5 credit toward hotel purveyors. You have a choice regarding changes of bedding and towels. Recycling of papers and containers is encouraged. Restaurants and banquet staff purchase fresh local products as much as possible.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Rapid City, South Dakota
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Unfortunately, this place was lacking on the resort quality you would expect from the Sheraton brand and a 4-star rating. There was a roach in our coffee maker and cigarette ashes all over the lanai. The "mountain view" was a first floor view of the parking lot. The wireless internet did not work. The pool-side servers were not attentive and were actually quite rude about having to stop and take an order. When I told the front-desk guy about the roach and cigarette ashes he acted like he could care less. When I told him about the wireless internet not working, he told me that I should have called and IT would have fixed it, but once again, could not care less about the experience. Also... they charge $35 for a resort fee. I was not able to utilize any of those services and they would not even waive half for the experience.The only positive was Rays on the Bay. It was expensive, but the quality of food, service, and view was worth it. Our server was Jake and he made sure that this part of our trip was great. Ask for him if you want to be treated well!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank xtinatina27
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Hotel is good although bathrooms could do with modernising. The Rays on the Bay restaurant had amazing food (best meal on the entire trip). We requested a table on the viewing platform, which we got. The hotel shines lights into the sea which attracts plankton, which attracts the Manta Rays to feed. We watched about 6 manta rays as we ate our meal - amazing! Only bad thing is that the hotel is about a 2.5 hour drive to the volcano national park, but there didn't seem to be many hotels much nearer.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Suzanne H
Thank you so much for your recent review and for staying with us here at the Sheraton Kona Resort! We are so glad you enjoyed the resort.
We hope to welcome you back to Hawaii and the Sheraton Kona!
Dallas
Reviewed 4 May 2014

CONS: I usually start my reviews with the pros, but I was so upset with the breach of security here that I am beginning with the cons. 1. When I checked in, I had the porter bring my bags up. About an hour later, I went out, and found my name and room number on a piece of paper taped to the luggage cart where anybody walking by could see the information. Not a comforting thought for a woman traveling alone! 2. It took more than an hour for them to get an ironing board to me which meant it took an hour longer to leave for my dinner engagement. 3. There was a large event at the hotel with live music which was very loud (and very bad) on one side of the room and children and teenagers at the pool screeching on the other. I tried to drown out the noise with late night television, but that was not successful. I resorted to my tablet and headphones. 4. No beach.
PROS: 1. The bed was heavenly. 2. The room was spotless. 3. Plenty of outlets. 4. The scenery is outstanding. 5. I would say that the staff was friendly and helpful, but I feel betrayed about my private information being left in a public location, and lack of attentiveness to my one request, so am unable to do so.

Room Tip: Request an ocean front room if view is important, and request one away from the outdoor banquet area...
Green Features: This facility offers incentives for reusing linens - thank you!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TapestryH
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay? Share your experiences!