“Look elsewhere”

Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We island hopped as a family vacation and this resort was definitely a low point. The air conditioning in the room could not be adjusted below 73F and in Chicago, home for us, pretty normal, but after long days in the sun, unacceptable. We called for service twice with no change. Additionally, the dining choices are minimal, especially for something light. Furthermore, the social hour is the worst I've experienced at a Sheraton. Don't get me wrong, the Manta Rays are awesome...but stay elsewhere and experience them at the restaurant.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Matt H
Sheraton T, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Aloha,
Thank you for your recenty review and for staying with us here at the Sheraton Kona Resort. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. Your valuable feedback has been shared with our management team & our Director of Engineering to address the issues you experienced during your stay. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed witnessing the giant Manta Rays in their natural habitat. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Mahalo.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,752)

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We checked out today after 4 nights. Gary, the concierge/tour company made this review short. He had so many outstanding recommendations, we spent little time in hotel. He set us up with drive to beach 69 for swim and picnic before night dive for mantas right off shore so family could watch my bubbles as 17 mantas swam 6 inches from my head. Next" he hooked us up with snorkel trip and zip line tour in Hilo on our way to volcano. As we left, Gary gave us directions to fish market in Hilo and recipe for best Ono I've ever had.

Hotel is fine. Our sea view room had great view and comfortable beds. Beautiful grounds And pool. Everything very clean. We didn't eat, but drinks were good if a little expensive - $12 for a Mai tai. Disappointed that everything closed so early at 9:30! Not a party placed, but we were too tired to care. Also, breakfast way overpriced at $25, but all of hawaii is expensive.

I agree with other posters about extra resort charge for parking, etc. if mandatory , please just include in room charge. Be honest with true cost.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gringoviajero

Thank you so much for your recenty review and for staying with us here at the Sheraton Kona Resort! We are delighted to hear that Concierge Gary was of valuable help to you in planning your days here on Hawaii Island. We hope to be able to welcome you back to Hawaii Island and to the Sheraton Kona.

With Warm Mahalo.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed here 7 nights in June, and it was wonderful. The room was big and clean. The view of the mountains and ocean was nice. I had a custom omelette with papaya every morning as I looked at the ocean. We had a delicious lunch by the pool every day. The dinner restaurant was the best. We had our dinner while watching manta rays frolic in the ocean! Make sure you make reservations for dinner. The wait was 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. When you turn into the resort, don't turn left into the parking lot. Drive straight up to the front desk. Otherwise you will need a guide dog to find the checkin.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your recenty review and for staying with us here at the Sheraton Kona Resort. We are pleased to hear that your seven day stay with us was most enjoyable! We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to paradise!

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Lived the hotel, wish Rays on bay way open for lunch and later then 9:45pm. The food at Rays was so good but the pool food was horrible and that's the only place to have lunch at the hotel. I could stay up all night and watch the manta rays from my room it was breathtaking!!

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Brigitte C
Sheraton T, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us here at Sheraton Kona. We are delighted that you enjoyed viewing the nightly manta rays that have been here in Keauhou Bay over the past 20 years! We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed for 4 nights to watch my daughter and son-in-law in the Kona Marathon. The pluses:

1. The room was clean, quiet and the WIFI worked great.
2. All staff I interacted with were pleasant and helpful.
3. Pool was large and pleasant place to spend time.

The negatives:
1. The architect who designed this place was on acid. Even after staying several days I kept getting lost. Layout is very confusing. If you are a person who tends to get lost a lot, you will have a problem
2. When will hotels realize that their ridiculous resort fee just angers the guests. Why should everyone pay for parking, WIFI and exercise room when they may not be using any of these amenities. Either factor the cost into each room or charge ala carte, except for the WIFI which should always be included in the room cost.
3. The food service at the pool was deplorable, inexcusable and reflects incompetent management. The food took over an hour to arrive, not just our order but everyone's. Then when the food came they had half the orders mixed up.. When asked, all the poor waitress could say was the kitchen was backed up.(As if we couldn't guess) A couple we were with NEVER even received their food after an hour and a half. They contacted the general manager as they are upper tier Starwood members and he basically had nothing to say. Who made him a manager? The fact that this was marathon weekend and the hotel was sold out IS NO EXCUSE. Management knew it would be very busy and needed to plan for it. They didn't and there is no excuse. The hotel never had the decency to apologize. I was tempted to give the hotel 2 stars just for this.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank BigdawgChicago
Sheraton T, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Aloha and thank you or your review. We sorry that we did not meet all of your expectations during your stay with us at Sheraton Kona. We have shared your feedback with our management team and are working towards implementing the necessary changes in areas of the hotel. We hope to ahe the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Mahalo.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I don't know anyone who can have a bad time in Hawaii, but somehow, I managed. I came here with my family in high school a couple years ago and still the memory of this trip in ingrained in my head. I'll never forget it. We checked in at 0'dark:30 right after we get to the hotel off of our flight landed. The hotel had sent a shuttle for us regardless of the time. We were there for the Hawaiian Ironman triathlon. The hotel was beautiful, the staff was friendly, regardless of the time. It was just spectacular.

I remember the room the most because I had to spend a good chunk of time in there. The room was clean, neat, and had a very welcoming feel to it. The beds were very comfortable, I don't think I could get a bad night's sleep in those beds even if I tried. Every morning, house keeping would make sure that the rooms were clean and that we had fresh linens and towels. The fact that they were able to make sure that a room shared by two teenage girls was clean, I am honestly amazed. The rooms were also very spacious, two rather large twin beds, a nice dresser, a couch and a lovely little eating area right next to the balcony. And the view from the balcony was breath taking!

The hotel had plenty of shuttles to sites around the island and on day 1, my family and I went to a beach called Turtle beach. It was aptly named as there were dozens of sea turtles that would just swim up to you. You'd have to be careful not to step on one. I actually had fallen on one. Unfortunately, that started the bad turn for the vacation as I had been swimming at that beach, a large wave hit and the bottom of my foot hit a nice chunk of lava rock, cutting it open from the ball of my foot down to just above my heel. We thought that it was just a bad cut so we left the beach and headed back to the hotel to just rest. When we got to the hotel, my foot still hadn't stopped bleeding and bless one of the front desk ladies, she took a look at the bottom of my foot before calling to have someone take me to the hospital as there was lava rock still stuck in my foot.

I had cut open quite a few blood vessels and arteries on the bottom of my foot and had to get I think 15 or so stitches. When we got back, I had to be on crutches cause I couldn't walk on my foot, I also couldn't be in the water and had to tie a bag over my foot when I showered for 5 days. The hotel surprised us with comping out on demand movies, moving the hotel room my sister and I was staying in to be on the first floor and as close to the lobby as they could, and having a fruit gift basket in the room. I cannot begin to express how impressed I am of the efforts they took to make sure I had a comfortable stay. Even though what happened was no one's fault, this hotel went above and beyond what would be needed of them.

So spending 5 days either sitting in the hotel room, on the pool deck, or at the outside bar, I was made welcomed and taken care of by all the staff that I had come in contact with. Even though I couldn't do some of the fun stuff around the island, the staff was so warm and inviting that I couldn't help but feel relaxed and at least enjoy the conversations and the beautiful atmosphere.

If I ever go back to Hawaii, this is where I'll stay. I feel there's no way to accurately describe just how friendly, helpful, and just genuinely awesome the staff was, but I can at least try. The hotel is gorgeous, the food was great, and the view from everywhere is to die for. I would definitely recommend this place to any and everyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Heather P

Thank you so much for your recent review and for staying with us here at the Sheraton Kona Resort. Although your trip was hindered by the unfortunate cut to your foot, we are appreciative to hear that our staff took great care of you. We look forward to welcoming you back to your Sheraton Ohana!

Warm Mahalo

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I'm used to over-paying and getting attitude from big hotels, but everyone we encountered at the Sheraton was very friendly--I don't know if it was the "Aloha spirit" or what. It started with the bell men who were very courteous in handling our bags. We were a bit of a handful--showed up four hours before check-in and had to store like 5 suitcases, but when we were surprisingly given a room right away (and an upgrade to ocean-view), the same bell man was smiling as he brought up all our bags 10 minutes later--and was thoughtful enough to keep our large toddler car seat in storage as he remembered we didn't have a rental car. My wife was excited to see the different activities for our daughter--although we weren't there long enough to take advantage. The trolley was a convenient way to get to downtown Kona too.

Room Tip: Rooms near "Rays on the Bay" restaurant get a great view of the large floodlit rays that p...