“Good Location”

Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We treated ourselves to a weekend get away since we live on Island for our anniversary. The lobby has a beautiful view of the bay. Fruit infused water is offered to guest as you check in very nice after being in a hot car. The staff is friendly and helpful, what I call Aloha. Our room had an ocean view. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. There was a hula concert by the pool that we really enjoyed. There are two pools to enjoy. Dinner at Rays on the Bay was very romantic, overlooking the bay. The menu is Hawaiian fusion, with many local style dishes. The poke was fresh and very good. Disappointed with the pot stickers, I don't think they were made on the premieres. The fresh catch special was delicious, seared, moist, served with a tropical salsa/sauce. My husband had the Coffee Rubbed Rib eye, which he enjoyed very much. For dessert we shared the warm white chocolate macnut cookie served with ice cream, it was excellent. Yes, dinner was a bit pricey. After dinner we were able to see the Manta Rays come in to feed, several tour boats and private boats were on the bay too. The hotel also does an educational presentation on Manta Rays which we enjoyed. During the day Keauhou Bay is a great place to snorkel, kayak, swim, stand up paddle or catch a tour boat cruise The hotel's Hawaiian Cultural Director, Nani is fantastic and very knowledgeable about the area and will offer information on the birthplace of King Kamehameha III along with other historical sights in the area. A nice walking tour of the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Sheraton T, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Aloha! Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your weekend get away stay! Keauhou Bay with its rich history and culture is indeed a very special place here on Hawaii Island. As we say, we are so blessed to live here in Hawaii and to be able to share this special place with visitors and kamaaina alike. We hope to be able to welcome you back to your Sheraton Kona Ohana (family).

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My bf and I stayed at the Sheraton for one night over the 4th of July weekend. What drew me to the hotel was the price was reasonable, location reasonable, free self parking, and I've had good experiences at the Sheraton here in Oahu. Well, things were going great when we arrived. The lobby had a beautiful view, we had a warm welcome when checking in, and the water jugs! Can't forget the ice cold, fruit infused water in the lobby and at the pool. The concierge was also very friendly and accommodating, as well as the staff at the Rays on the Bay and in the sundries shop. The pool was OK.

But there were definitely more negatives than positives:

1. We were given a ocean-view room on the 7th floor in the K-wing (I forget the Hawaiian name but started with a K) that WAS NOT CLEANED. The beds were made, but I first noticed the trash can was overflowing with a prior guest's straw hats. I let that pass.. til I noticed the others: open champagne bottle in the refrigerator, open/used soap in bathroom with a hair on it, open/used shampoo and soap in the shower with someone's used towel on the floor. GROSS.

2. Not only was the room not cleaned, we noticed the floor was very damp. My bf works in construction and noticed blistering on the paint in the wall. There were several blisters (all at least the size of my fist OR BIGGER) that when you touch it, it feels like a water balloon but on the walls. These were slowly leaking on the wall down to the floor. My bf said that is a serious leak that can cause mold and make guests sick/or even die! I know it's an older hotel that's in need of renovations, but seriously!! I called the front desk immediately and asked for another room.

3. While exchanging the room keys for a new room, another girl working the front desk did not care about what we saw in our room and did not sincerely apologize. She was like "oh, SORRY" but with such an attitude I was just in shock. What happened to the other girl that was just there not even 5 minutes ago, who was so warm and friendly??? This girl did not care, nor bothered to give us at least a "genuine" apology. I don't know if she was having a bad day but her attitude was unacceptable.

4. Cleanliness....I don't know if I was just unlucky, but I found hairs everywhere at this hotel, even in our new room. It grosses me out, as though nothing is clean. I saw another hair in our new room, and I saw a hair on my plate when we dined at Rays on the Bay. Ugh.

Overall, I probably would not stay at the Sheraton again, unless it was heavily discounted.

Room Tip: I would be wary about the top floors, if it is an A/C leak or something. When we were transferred t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank joyhawaii
Sheraton T, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you so much for your recenty review and for staying with us here at the Sheraton Kona Resort. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations and that the service at the front desk was not met with Aloha. Your valuable feedback will be shared with our management team. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Warmest Mahalo

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We island hopped as a family vacation and this resort was definitely a low point. The air conditioning in the room could not be adjusted below 73F and in Chicago, home for us, pretty normal, but after long days in the sun, unacceptable. We called for service twice with no change. Additionally, the dining choices are minimal, especially for something light. Furthermore, the social hour is the worst I've experienced at a Sheraton. Don't get me wrong, the Manta Rays are awesome...but stay elsewhere and experience them at the restaurant.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Matt H

Aloha,
Thank you for your recenty review and for staying with us here at the Sheraton Kona Resort. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. Your valuable feedback has been shared with our management team & our Director of Engineering to address the issues you experienced during your stay. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed witnessing the giant Manta Rays in their natural habitat. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Mahalo.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We checked out today after 4 nights. Gary, the concierge/tour company made this review short. He had so many outstanding recommendations, we spent little time in hotel. He set us up with drive to beach 69 for swim and picnic before night dive for mantas right off shore so family could watch my bubbles as 17 mantas swam 6 inches from my head. Next" he hooked us up with snorkel trip and zip line tour in Hilo on our way to volcano. As we left, Gary gave us directions to fish market in Hilo and recipe for best Ono I've ever had.

Hotel is fine. Our sea view room had great view and comfortable beds. Beautiful grounds And pool. Everything very clean. We didn't eat, but drinks were good if a little expensive - $12 for a Mai tai. Disappointed that everything closed so early at 9:30! Not a party placed, but we were too tired to care. Also, breakfast way overpriced at $25, but all of hawaii is expensive.

I agree with other posters about extra resort charge for parking, etc. if mandatory , please just include in room charge. Be honest with true cost.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gringoviajero

Thank you so much for your recenty review and for staying with us here at the Sheraton Kona Resort! We are delighted to hear that Concierge Gary was of valuable help to you in planning your days here on Hawaii Island. We hope to be able to welcome you back to Hawaii Island and to the Sheraton Kona.

With Warm Mahalo.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed here 7 nights in June, and it was wonderful. The room was big and clean. The view of the mountains and ocean was nice. I had a custom omelette with papaya every morning as I looked at the ocean. We had a delicious lunch by the pool every day. The dinner restaurant was the best. We had our dinner while watching manta rays frolic in the ocean! Make sure you make reservations for dinner. The wait was 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. When you turn into the resort, don't turn left into the parking lot. Drive straight up to the front desk. Otherwise you will need a guide dog to find the checkin.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your recenty review and for staying with us here at the Sheraton Kona Resort. We are pleased to hear that your seven day stay with us was most enjoyable! We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to paradise!

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Lived the hotel, wish Rays on bay way open for lunch and later then 9:45pm. The food at Rays was so good but the pool food was horrible and that's the only place to have lunch at the hotel. I could stay up all night and watch the manta rays from my room it was breathtaking!!

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Brigitte C

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us here at Sheraton Kona. We are delighted that you enjoyed viewing the nightly manta rays that have been here in Keauhou Bay over the past 20 years! We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed for 4 nights to watch my daughter and son-in-law in the Kona Marathon. The pluses:

1. The room was clean, quiet and the WIFI worked great.
2. All staff I interacted with were pleasant and helpful.
3. Pool was large and pleasant place to spend time.

The negatives:
1. The architect who designed this place was on acid. Even after staying several days I kept getting lost. Layout is very confusing. If you are a person who tends to get lost a lot, you will have a problem
2. When will hotels realize that their ridiculous resort fee just angers the guests. Why should everyone pay for parking, WIFI and exercise room when they may not be using any of these amenities. Either factor the cost into each room or charge ala carte, except for the WIFI which should always be included in the room cost.
3. The food service at the pool was deplorable, inexcusable and reflects incompetent management. The food took over an hour to arrive, not just our order but everyone's. Then when the food came they had half the orders mixed up.. When asked, all the poor waitress could say was the kitchen was backed up.(As if we couldn't guess) A couple we were with NEVER even received their food after an hour and a half. They contacted the general manager as they are upper tier Starwood members and he basically had nothing to say. Who made him a manager? The fact that this was marathon weekend and the hotel was sold out IS NO EXCUSE. Management knew it would be very busy and needed to plan for it. They didn't and there is no excuse. The hotel never had the decency to apologize. I was tempted to give the hotel 2 stars just for this.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank BigdawgChicago
Sheraton T, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Aloha and thank you or your review. We sorry that we did not meet all of your expectations during your stay with us at Sheraton Kona. We have shared your feedback with our management team and are working towards implementing the necessary changes in areas of the hotel. We hope to ahe the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Mahalo.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
#8 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay? Share your experiences!