“Great hotel, but devoid of atmosphere and people”

Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This hotel is a conundrum. It has a beautiful setting, gorgeous reception with a lanai to sit on which is spectacular, a super pool and stunning gardens but there is something missing. It was eerily empty when we spent two nights there. We enjoyed ourselves but I was happy to be leaving after that time. The room was clean and spacious and the bathroom was well appointed. However, it could do with more character thrown into the bedrooms. Cream walls, safe furnishings and bland decorations let this place down. However, we did eat at the restaurant, rays on the bay, and the food and cocktails were great as was the ray show.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mise_eile
Sheraton T, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Aloha and thank you for your recent review and for staying at the Sheraton Kona Resort and Spa at Keauhou Bay. Although we did not meet your expectations in the overall appearance of our guests rooms, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed dinner and drinks at Rays on the Bay restaurant and the nightly visits of the gentle giant manta rays in their natural hapitat.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,699)

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We come to Kona yearly, but usually stay in Waikaloa. We are very experienced with world travel and hotels. We came here this time to get my wife open water dive certified so it was more about convenient location to the dive shop in Kona than anything. Upon arrival (10:30pm) and after spending 11 hours traveling our check in went smoothly and we even received an unexpected upgrade to our room. Thank you. We wanted a drink and an appetizer so we went to Rays by the Bay in the hotel. We were met with two bartenders (male and female) that were more concerned with leaving at the end of their shift than us...somewhat understandable, but a poor first impression. The next morning the young lady at the coffee bar near the pool was working alone and did an amazing cheerful job of handling the line of customers at 6:30am...kudos to her, but the hotel could have staffed it better. We haven't visited Rays by the Bay since our experience that night nor do we plan too. The coffee shop lady has been daily pleasant and cheerful....we have been there every morning. Our room, even though it is an upgrade is just a 'vanilla' room and could be decorated more in a Hawaiian motif. The tub and sink both plugged up and didn't drain at all, nor did the room 'safe' work, but maintenance fixed them upon request quite promptly. We used the concierge Gary once and he was very knowledgable, engaging, helpful and steered us to an amazing restaurant called Keiei Cafe which we have frequented twice since. Gary and the coffee girl at poolside helped this hotel to get more than 2 stars, but the bartenders and drab rooms kept them from getting more than 3 stars! We travel worldwide and spend the night in hotels 4 to 5 times a month so we know good service and hotels. This one is average.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CBHenderson59

Aloha and thank you for your review and for your recent stay at Sheraton Kona Resort and spa at Keauhou Bay. Your valuable feedback has been shared with our management team. We are delighted to also hear that our concierge and coffee shop associates took great care of you! Thank you again and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the Sheraton Kona.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We treated ourselves to a weekend get away since we live on Island for our anniversary. The lobby has a beautiful view of the bay. Fruit infused water is offered to guest as you check in very nice after being in a hot car. The staff is friendly and helpful, what I call Aloha. Our room had an ocean view. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. There was a hula concert by the pool that we really enjoyed. There are two pools to enjoy. Dinner at Rays on the Bay was very romantic, overlooking the bay. The menu is Hawaiian fusion, with many local style dishes. The poke was fresh and very good. Disappointed with the pot stickers, I don't think they were made on the premieres. The fresh catch special was delicious, seared, moist, served with a tropical salsa/sauce. My husband had the Coffee Rubbed Rib eye, which he enjoyed very much. For dessert we shared the warm white chocolate macnut cookie served with ice cream, it was excellent. Yes, dinner was a bit pricey. After dinner we were able to see the Manta Rays come in to feed, several tour boats and private boats were on the bay too. The hotel also does an educational presentation on Manta Rays which we enjoyed. During the day Keauhou Bay is a great place to snorkel, kayak, swim, stand up paddle or catch a tour boat cruise The hotel's Hawaiian Cultural Director, Nani is fantastic and very knowledgeable about the area and will offer information on the birthplace of King Kamehameha III along with other historical sights in the area. A nice walking tour of the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Aloha! Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your weekend get away stay! Keauhou Bay with its rich history and culture is indeed a very special place here on Hawaii Island. As we say, we are so blessed to live here in Hawaii and to be able to share this special place with visitors and kamaaina alike. We hope to be able to welcome you back to your Sheraton Kona Ohana (family).

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My bf and I stayed at the Sheraton for one night over the 4th of July weekend. What drew me to the hotel was the price was reasonable, location reasonable, free self parking, and I've had good experiences at the Sheraton here in Oahu. Well, things were going great when we arrived. The lobby had a beautiful view, we had a warm welcome when checking in, and the water jugs! Can't forget the ice cold, fruit infused water in the lobby and at the pool. The concierge was also very friendly and accommodating, as well as the staff at the Rays on the Bay and in the sundries shop. The pool was OK.

But there were definitely more negatives than positives:

1. We were given a ocean-view room on the 7th floor in the K-wing (I forget the Hawaiian name but started with a K) that WAS NOT CLEANED. The beds were made, but I first noticed the trash can was overflowing with a prior guest's straw hats. I let that pass.. til I noticed the others: open champagne bottle in the refrigerator, open/used soap in bathroom with a hair on it, open/used shampoo and soap in the shower with someone's used towel on the floor. GROSS.

2. Not only was the room not cleaned, we noticed the floor was very damp. My bf works in construction and noticed blistering on the paint in the wall. There were several blisters (all at least the size of my fist OR BIGGER) that when you touch it, it feels like a water balloon but on the walls. These were slowly leaking on the wall down to the floor. My bf said that is a serious leak that can cause mold and make guests sick/or even die! I know it's an older hotel that's in need of renovations, but seriously!! I called the front desk immediately and asked for another room.

3. While exchanging the room keys for a new room, another girl working the front desk did not care about what we saw in our room and did not sincerely apologize. She was like "oh, SORRY" but with such an attitude I was just in shock. What happened to the other girl that was just there not even 5 minutes ago, who was so warm and friendly??? This girl did not care, nor bothered to give us at least a "genuine" apology. I don't know if she was having a bad day but her attitude was unacceptable.

4. Cleanliness....I don't know if I was just unlucky, but I found hairs everywhere at this hotel, even in our new room. It grosses me out, as though nothing is clean. I saw another hair in our new room, and I saw a hair on my plate when we dined at Rays on the Bay. Ugh.

Overall, I probably would not stay at the Sheraton again, unless it was heavily discounted.

Room Tip: I would be wary about the top floors, if it is an A/C leak or something. When we were transferred t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank joyhawaii
Sheraton T, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you so much for your recenty review and for staying with us here at the Sheraton Kona Resort. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations and that the service at the front desk was not met with Aloha. Your valuable feedback will be shared with our management team. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Warmest Mahalo

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We island hopped as a family vacation and this resort was definitely a low point. The air conditioning in the room could not be adjusted below 73F and in Chicago, home for us, pretty normal, but after long days in the sun, unacceptable. We called for service twice with no change. Additionally, the dining choices are minimal, especially for something light. Furthermore, the social hour is the worst I've experienced at a Sheraton. Don't get me wrong, the Manta Rays are awesome...but stay elsewhere and experience them at the restaurant.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Matt H

Aloha,
Thank you for your recenty review and for staying with us here at the Sheraton Kona Resort. We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. Your valuable feedback has been shared with our management team & our Director of Engineering to address the issues you experienced during your stay. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed witnessing the giant Manta Rays in their natural habitat. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Mahalo.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We checked out today after 4 nights. Gary, the concierge/tour company made this review short. He had so many outstanding recommendations, we spent little time in hotel. He set us up with drive to beach 69 for swim and picnic before night dive for mantas right off shore so family could watch my bubbles as 17 mantas swam 6 inches from my head. Next" he hooked us up with snorkel trip and zip line tour in Hilo on our way to volcano. As we left, Gary gave us directions to fish market in Hilo and recipe for best Ono I've ever had.

Hotel is fine. Our sea view room had great view and comfortable beds. Beautiful grounds And pool. Everything very clean. We didn't eat, but drinks were good if a little expensive - $12 for a Mai tai. Disappointed that everything closed so early at 9:30! Not a party placed, but we were too tired to care. Also, breakfast way overpriced at $25, but all of hawaii is expensive.

I agree with other posters about extra resort charge for parking, etc. if mandatory , please just include in room charge. Be honest with true cost.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank gringoviajero

Thank you so much for your recenty review and for staying with us here at the Sheraton Kona Resort! We are delighted to hear that Concierge Gary was of valuable help to you in planning your days here on Hawaii Island. We hope to be able to welcome you back to Hawaii Island and to the Sheraton Kona.

With Warm Mahalo.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed here 7 nights in June, and it was wonderful. The room was big and clean. The view of the mountains and ocean was nice. I had a custom omelette with papaya every morning as I looked at the ocean. We had a delicious lunch by the pool every day. The dinner restaurant was the best. We had our dinner while watching manta rays frolic in the ocean! Make sure you make reservations for dinner. The wait was 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. When you turn into the resort, don't turn left into the parking lot. Drive straight up to the front desk. Otherwise you will need a guide dog to find the checkin.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your recenty review and for staying with us here at the Sheraton Kona Resort. We are pleased to hear that your seven day stay with us was most enjoyable! We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to paradise!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
6 mi away
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Hilton Waikoloa Village
28 mi away
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay? Share your experiences!