“I have to agree with the other reviews ..”

Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This "resort" has nice grounds/intimate (not overcrowded) swimming pools, but the rooms and "mahalo" could use some work. You get off and on friendly service from the front desk. Just one or two negative people is all it takes to ruin my vacation. I had one that I had to "argue" with because she bit my head off for a simple question - how do you use the $5 resort credit that's hung on the door? You get many different answers depending on who you ask. I did finally get an answer from a Manager (thank you, Yukiko) and it was fixed quickly.To her initial clerk's credit however, she did apologize and it seems there was an "unknown" system on how or where to use the credit/gift card. Hopefully, management clears up the confusion so that customers like me avoid the embarrassment when they are turned away for using it properly (yes they can be combined - it's on the card). All other areas, especially housekeeping, were friendly. The first night came with lots of missing items in the room, e.g. water, hairdryer. Luckily we brought our own. I actually circled around looking for water however as my daughter was VERY thirsty. No coke machines, no water machines, only sold at front desk and on the first day, I couldn't find the front desk. In fact, the whole resort is difficult to navigate the first day. Room numbers 4500+ could be on the 5th and 6th floor and there is no significance to the names of the wings (so ignore this). Park in the two parking lots to the left of the reception/check in desk near valet. Don't circle around the streets or buildings to find parking, there isn't any. Just that parking lot, although it's big and never full. So, you're fine. So, even while you're told there are multiple parking lots (and no directions to your room), keep in mind that there is only one parking lot in front of the valet designated areas and that anything 4500+ is on the 5th or 6th floors and you should be fine. The rooms are a bit damp/"dorm" feel, especially the toilet and tiled walls; and, everyone who says the rooms need updating are correct. I think the hotel has just a few years left before some work will be needed and more complaints to come, but for now, it was "fine". I went through Priceline and got a good deal as well, so less complaints. Paying what others did, however, I can see the problem. Overall, my trip was fine. $149/night + $30 resort fee = $179 / night, it was fine. (To be fair, however, the Hilton Hawaiian was crowded although the grounds were better, but noisy. I like the Sheraton for the less crowded feel.) So, this one is a definite 4 star - would return with the same discounts.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Sheraton T, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Aloha,
Thank you for your recent review and for choosing to stay with us at the Sheraton Kona Resort and Spa at Keauhou Bay. Although we did not fully meet your expectations during your stay we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here in Hawaii. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sheraton Kona.
Mahalo.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Overall our stay here was great. Check in at the front desk was quick and the staff friendly and welcoming. I was a little confused about the location of our room, so a map was provided. Walking to the room I could see the awesome pool and waterfall. Everything along the outside walkway was pleasant and inviting. Once we turned down the hall to our room (4639) things changed; the hall was dark, along the edge of the hall along the wall was a thick layer of dust. Outside a room near ours was a plate from an earlier room service meal on the floor. I have seen this at many other hotels, but what struck me as strange was two cleaning personnel walked right by it. Our room was very large. The bed was comfortable. The room looked dated; strange painted paneling on one wall, an industrial style toilet, stains in the tub, wall in bathroom crumbling in corner and a cracked tile on the bathroom floor. We needed to iron our clothes for dinner, we found the iron,but no ironing board in the room. When we left for dinner two hours later, the plate was still on the ground. Upon returning from dinner late that evening, the plate was still in the hall. The next morning the plate was still there. Our stay was pleasant, but these little things bothered me. This is not how a four star report operates. We still had a good time, the pool and other hotel amenities were great, just a little disappointed in the Sheratons attention to detail.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank JeepBI
Sheraton T, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Aloha and thank you for your recent review and for choosing to stay with us here at Sheraton Kona Resort and Spa. We are glad to here that your overall stay was pleasant and enjoyable. Your valuable observation & feedback will be shared with our management team.

Thank you again!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed here primarily for the pool. It was a great pool, especially for kids. It was huge--which made it seem uncrowded--and there always seemed to be a lounge chair available. You also can get drinks and food poolside (more on that in a minute).

The resort itself is beautiful. We got an oceanfront room (only $40 more a night than a regular room) and the view was spectacular. We were in Helani Tower room 1405 and it overlooked the manta ray pool so every night we could sit out and watch the boats and divers gather and hear (as background) the music from Ray's on the Bay (it was very soft; not as if we were directly over the restaurant).

The entire resort is surrounded by the black lava rock and green palm trees. It is quiet and a visual delight. Our room was lovely from the decor to the lanai. It was spacious and the beds were comfortable.

I also have to comment on the service. Everyone we met was helpful and professional as well as just really nice. The staff had lots of smiles and the aloha spirit. Some examples--our room ran out of toilet paper (the peril of traveling with boys!). We called and it was brought up within minutes. Also, I stepped on a vana (sea urchin) offsite after kayaking and asked the front desk for vinegar. They sent up vinegar, gauze, bandages, and two guys to help me with my foot. Then, instead of just forgetting about my injury, they called back over the next several days to see how my foot was doing.

The concierge here was wonderful--Yuki--and really knowledgable. We really appreciated her help.

I thought about rating the Sheraton a 4 for one reason alone--the food. If you stay here, you NEED a RENTAL CAR! The food at the resort is really expensive and really bad. We visited Target and got cereal and milk for breakfast (in room fridge) so I can't speak to the breakfasts, but we had lunch at Houla's and it was really gross. The edamame were smothered in some sort of sweet nasty jarred sauce, the burger was much worse than any fast food burger, and the chicken breast was, well I could not have identified it as chicken breast as it was really weird. The service was good, but the food was awful and cost $100 for 2 adults and 2 kids for lunch. We ordered the boys room service dinner from Ray's on the Bay and it was equally gross. After this, we ate out--we ate at Amici's and Splasher's Grill, both of which were great. But, had we had no car, it would have cost a fortune to eat and we would have had only bad meals.

I highly recommend this hotel. The lobby is gorgeous. The service is great. The location is beautiful. And, the pool is magnificent. But, don't stay here if you have to eat here.

Room Tip: Helani Tower--away from the pool and restaurant, both of which can be loud. I really urge you to boo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Muleyman

Thank you so much for your recent review and for staying with us here at the Sheraton Kona Resort! We are so glad you enjoyed the resort.
If you get a chance to also fill out our Starwood Hotels and Resorts electronic survey, it would be fantastic. We strive for "10" here in Kona and hope we achieved it.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Just spent two nights for a business meeting and what a fabulous resort! The staff are all friendly and eager to accommodate you, the food is amazing with the "farm to table" for the freshest meats, vegetables, and fruites, to the "hook to cook" where you have the freshest fish caught that day. The cultural experience at the resort in activities or just talking with each employee is something that money cannot buy. Also, the manta rays are a phenominal sight. If you are planning a trip and have not made a decision yet, this is definitely a property that you should consider whether it is for a romantic getaway, or a family retreat. Property is also located in a great location in Keauhou, Kona where views of the beautiful Ocean are directly in front of you, and easy access to all the island attractions of the Volcano, Black Sand Beach, etc. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Book Ocean Category. Price is a great value and you can't get any closer unless you are in it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CLS430

Thank you so much for your recent review and for staying with us here at the Sheraton Kona Resort! We are so glad you enjoyed all aspects of the resort.

We look forward to your return stay with us soon!

Warmest Mahalo!

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

This is an exceptional hotel with superb amenities! We LOVED staying here. Beautiful room! We had an ocean view room and it was perfect --- views of both the ocean and volcano. Our kids had a great time in the pools and on the slide. We almost stayed at the Hilton and I am so glad we stayed at the Sheraton instead. We saved a lot of money and had a fabulous time! We would definitely stay here again! :)

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank CulturalCompetence

Thank you so much for your recent review and for staying with us here at the Sheraton Kona Resort! We are so glad you and your family enjoyed the array of amenities offered at our resort.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to your Sheraton Ohana!

With Warmest Mahalo!

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I am presently staying at the Sheraton. I am an SPG member.
I booked a room with two beds several months earlier. When I showed up they didn't have a room with two beds, just a king bed. They said that they don't guarantee a room type if you book trip advisor, expedia or any other party. However if I pay an addition $40 a night they had rooms with 2 beds. I had no choice but to pay.

This hotel is extremely over priced for what you get. The hotel is about 25 miles from anything. There is a snack bar open for breakfast, small pool bar for lunch and high end restaurant for supper. All extremely expensive and very limited menus.
We have no choice to stay here because of a wedding we are attending. However I would stay away.

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank Julie P
Sheraton T, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Aloha,

Thank you for your recent review and for sharing your concerns about your current stay here with us. We strive to get to yes and would like the opportunity to make your stay with us memorable and enjoyable.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This was our first trip to the Big Island. The Sheraton was truly awesome!! Very clean, excellent service, especially at Ray's on the Bay. Jacob was our waiter most evenings, and made us feel like we were his only customer. Truly exceptional service on his part; he made great recommendations for food and beverage, and made sure we were completely satisfied. This resort has the most amazing pool that overlooks the beautiful ocean. We are really picky about cleanliness, and the Sheraton exceeded our expectations. Thank you for a wonderful vacation.

Room Tip: We upgraded to an ocean view which was well worth it. Each morning we listened to the beautiful soun...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kal P

Aloha!
Mahalo!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
#8 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Hilton Waikoloa Village

Been to Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay? Share your experiences!