“Good choice; great Platinum benefits” 4 of 5 bubbles

Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego, CA
“Good choice; great Platinum benefits”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Retro hawaiian hotel (old Kona Surf) with a good location. Definitely need car. Rooms clean, beds comfy. We had five and the suite worked well. Very nice roll out beds. Good view for oceanfront. Platinum Starwood benefits used including valet parking, half price cabana rental, 15% off food, free continental brekkie (or just $8 for full buffet). Have to admit, those items made me feel special. Quick massage outdoors was a first and lovely masseuse. Dinner overlooking beach/harbor had good food (poké great), breeze, view and music. All staff kind and accommodating. Nothing high end but all good and serviceable.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank upintheairmom
SheratonKonaPR, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Aloha upintheairmom,

Thank you so much for providing your valuable feedback on your stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you were able to access great benefits as a Platinum Starwood member and that you enjoyed our newly revitalized menu at Rays on the Bay!

We look forward to seeing you again.

Regards,
Katie Vanes, PR Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (796)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed at the Sheraton Keauhou for a weekend trip in July. Great family friendly hotel. The pool was large with a small slide, two separate sections, a sandy area for smaller children, two hot tubs, and a large slide - the kids swam for the entire day.
Food at the restaurant was good (breakfast, lunch, dinner). The restaurant/bar "Rays on the Bay" overlooking the ocean was a great place to watch the sunset and see the mantas come out in the evening.
Rooms were clean and spacious. Staff were friendly and accommodating.
We enjoyed our stay and will be back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank al0ha808
Dear Aloha808,

Mahalo for taking the time to give us a fantastic review -- we're so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton Kona, from the family-friendly activities to the delicious food at our various restaurants. We look forward to having you and your family back in Keauhou!

Regards,
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Sheraton Kona resort for 2 nights at the end of a trip to the big island for a yoga retreat. I booked it on a quick whim to spend a few nights in Kona. My husband and I had been to the big island in August 2013 and loved the area. We stayed at the Hilton which was much better than the Sheraton. First con was the location. I was hoping to be closer to the main strip of Kona but this resort is far down the south side and not within walking distance or even a short drive to anything. Second was the rooms which are very outdated. I booked a garden room since it was last minute and I was traveling alone but it was on the 4th floor yet I still felt like I was in a basement bc it felt like a cement room with a very high wall on the patio and therefore didn't let much light in. Overall it was fine for a few nights away and is a decent middle of the road hotel but if I were to return to the area I would stay north at the Hilton again or one of the resorts on the northern part of Ali'i drive.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank utahlovin
SheratonKonaPR, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Aloha UtahLovin,

Mahalo for taking the time to share this feedback with us on TripAdvisor. I'm pleased to share with you that the Sheraton Kona recently received a revitalization, so it will be a whole new resort the next time you visit.

As for our location -- while we acknowledge that we are 15 minutes outside of town -- we have some great dining options here and plenty of activities to offer right here on Keauhou Bay! Were you able to take our complimentary cultural tour of our historic land? This is one of the most unique, authentic aspects of our resort. We are lucky to be right next to an old fishing village and additionally the birthplace of King Kamehameha III.

We look forward to hosting you again to show you these excellent activities and our new menu at Rays on the Bay!

Werribee, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

just came back from hawaii, including 7 days at the sheraton. This is a lovely hotel especially the ocean view rooms ( which l had). My only issue is the ridiculous new add on that the Americas have got away with and it's a RESORT FEE, yes a fee just to be there of $30.00 a day per room plus don't forget the tax on top of that. Total $ 31.50 a day, yes it gives you internet a few other things, but what if you don't want them, bad luck you have to pay. When l mentioned this at the Hilton in Honolulu they said they don't charge this fee but some hotels are trying it on. Be aware and look for the ones that don't rip you off.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

The location of the Sheraton Kona is ideal - close to town, dolphin snorkeling tours, manta diving, and more. The hotel is beautiful and has very nice pools. The restaurants are very good and it's so neat to see the manta rays at night from "Rays on the Bay."

The only thing we did not like was the hours of food service. We arrived on a flight from LAX and got to the hotel at 10:20 PM on a Saturday night. The only food available was room service (until 10:30 PM) so we called IMMEDIATELY. If we had been 10 minutes later, we would have arrived at the hotel with no options for food after a very long day of travel.

Interestingly enough, I was concerned about this before we arrived, so I called the hotel directly and spoke to the operator and asked what time food shuts down. I was told Room Service ends at 11 and Rays is open to 11 (with limited menu). This was not the case so we were surprised when we arrived. Luckily, we got room service....but for a major hotel, I am sure we aren't the only guests that arrive late sometimes....there should be later food options.

Later in our trip, we came back to this resort and attended a wedding (but stayed nearby off property). The wedding concluded around 10/1030 PM and again, all the restaurants are shut down at that time. It would have been nice if Rays on the Bay was still open - we would have gone there to have some post-wedding drinks while watching the Manta Rays.

Overall, this is a great property. They provide a shuttle to town. Check out their website - they have recommendations for tours and activities which was very helpful. The concierge even emailed me prior to my arrival to offer help. I thought the details to service were great.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view near Rays and you can see the manta rays at night!
Green Features: They offer options to re-use your linens and I believe you get a credit for that?
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KLJdolphin
Aloha KLJ dolphin,

First of all, thank you very much for providing this detailed insight to us about your experience. While we're happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the rest of your stay, we're disappointed to hear about the lack of service you received from our restaurant. The late night menu should be open until 11 p.m.

I would love to hear more details about this incident. Please contact me directly at kathryn.vanes@sheraton.com, so we may investigate this issue.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I was visiting Hawaii with my 2 bother's families. I had requested an upgrade on my suite ahead of time and was happy when I checked in they told me I could have it for an extra 50 dollars a night. Yes it would have been nice complementary - oh well. The suite offers two balcony's the second one is huge over looking the ocean and mountains. It easily accommodated the 9 of us to lounge around and share stories. We used the pull out bed in the living room and I had different family members stay with me. 2 breakfast were included and the buffet is very nice.

I had a lot of special request, like more pillows and bottle openers, the staff was very accommodating. The resort has a lot of activities. The gym was great at 3 in the morning. The pool with a nice water slide sits right on the ocean.
I reviewed the spa separately but it was incredible.

Issues were handled with good spirit and I fully enjoyed the facility.

Room Tip: My executive deluxe suite 3429 was not directly over the ocean and offered both ocean and mountain v...
Green Features: They definitely have them and give you options to participate
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Aloha docjon236,

Mahalo for taking the time to provide your feedback on your stay with us at the Sheraton Kona. We're happy to hear that you experienced such friendly service and enjoyed the amenities during your stay with us. It sounds like you had a great time with your family!

We look forward to having you back at our resort.

Katie Vanes
PR Manager
Melbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I am just back from a trip from the UK to Hawaii which involved stays in three large Starwood properties, and have waited to complete all three before writing any reviews. Having reflected on all three, I'll start by saying that this was the best all round experience of the lot.

It is hard to find much to complain about after such a great stay, and we were really sad to leave, even though that meant we were returning to Waikiki. Some highlights:
- we requested two connecting rooms, and not only was this all sorted when we arrived (so often not the case) but the hotel had even kept two separate pairs available so we could choose which combination of bedding suited us better.
- the rooms themselves were large and spacious, well appointed and with lovely pool and ocean views from the balconies. There was nothing flashy about the decor, but with wall to wall sunshine and the fantastic Big Island to explore we didn't really plan to spend much time in there anyway
- the pool area is huge, and great - it was well staffed and never too busy, with great options for younger and older kids (pools of different depths, including a sand-bottomed one) but plenty of space for adults to swim and/or chill. Food and drinks from the Holua Bar were served at the pool if required, and were simple but of good quality
- the gardens / grounds are beautiful and really well maintained, even including informative labelling of some indigenous plants. The lava rock setting is stunning (NB - do not make the mistake of expecting beach access if you stay here). We saw loads of wildlife in the grounds - mongoose, geckos and so many lively birds and butterflies
- Rays on the Bay is a fantastic restaurant. We watched the sun set there every night over cocktails before we ate, and saw manta rays in the ocean each time too - quite an experience. The seafood is very good, as is the service. There was live music each night and a really pleasant ambiance to the place. Cocktails were really good, as is the locally brewed beer.

Having not visited the Big Island before I wasn't sure what to expect. The Sheraton Kona exceeded expectations in every respect, and was a great base for exploring just a tiny bit of a huge and diverse island. We will definitely be back.

Green Features: Participates in the Starwood "Make a Green Choice" programme
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ndc72
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Hilton Waikoloa Village
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows

Been to Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay? Share your experiences!