“Best Resort in Keauhou”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
“Best Resort in Keauhou”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The Sheraton Kona is great for families as well as couples! Situated right on the ocean, it offers great views of Mauna Loa & Mauna Kea, as well as an awesome sunset! Large, comfortable rooms, several dining options (I really like the ambiance and food at Ray's) and friendly staff.

Room Tip: Always try and get an ocean view room
Green Features: you can get a $5.00/day credit for food/drink or 500 SPG points if you refuse housekeeping and laundry of towels;
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gabriel S
SheratonKonaPR, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Aloha Daniel,

Mahalo for taking the time to write about the fantastic vacation you had at our resort. We're so glad that you enjoyed the scenic views and your dining experience/ambiance at Rays! We look forward to hosting you again.

Warm regards,
PR Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Have stayed here a few times since I like to try and stick with Starwood properties and it's the only one in Kona. It's usually nice. Had a bad experience this past trip with miscommunication among the staff there, causing me to delay my morning almost an hour. I left really frustrated. However, the manager emailed me and offered his apologies and a complimentary upgrade on my next stay. The rooms are a little old and could use some renovation. Parking is a little far away from the entrance. The views are really nice. They offer room service now, but it comes in doggie bags and not very good. The spa is nice - I got an outdoor massage by Helen. She is awesome!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Hi AlohaGirl86,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. While I'm happy to hear that you're a loyal Starwood member and that the manager followed up with you after the incident, it disappoints me to hear about your overall negative experience that was not up to par with your expectations.

We are currently working on our In Room menu, and hope to have new choices the next time you come back for your upgraded room! Please feel free to email me directly at kathryn.vanes@sheraton.com to discuss your trip in more detail.

PR manager
Richmond, California
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Best thing: excellent pool area, just the thing to come back to after a busy and active day.

Worst thing: pretty much everything else. Room cleaning was very poor indeed, food and drink on site is hugely overpriced and there’s not a lot of choice, staff were not particularly friendly or helpful (hint: if we request something be brought up to our room, please knock and wait for a response rather than just charging in unannounced).

Overall it’s OK value for money. Don’t expect anything special just because it’s a resort and definitely keep in mind the ridiculous “resort fee” you’ll be charged at checkout. I know this seems to be a standard practice, but personally I’d prefer it to be added to the basic room charge. $30 a day for a parking space, 2 bottles of water a day, free local phone calls and a few other bits and bobs just comes across as absurd to me.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chris J
Aloha Chris,

Mahalo for providing us with your valuable insight on your recent stay with us. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our fabulous pool, but it's disappointing to learn that you were not satisfied with the rest of your stay.

Regarding the staff entering your room in the way that you described, this is certainly not our standard, and I'm sorry we failed you. I will be sure to bring this up to management. I see there were several other concerns; please feel free to email me directly at kathryn.vanes@sheraton.com to let us know how we can do better.

Kind regards,
PR Manager
Blue Mountains National Park, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I selected this hotel because I wanted one that was close to, or had easy access to, the main centre. I have been bitterly disappointed. The trolley bus only operates every two hours which doesn't really make it a great transport system. There is nothing in walking distance - no alternative eating places or access to grocery shop without hiring a car (which we did for two days and was fantastic). This we rented from the hotel which was very convenient. The hotel I think is overpriced (as others have said). The $31 per night resort fee isn't really worth it. The games room is a bit tired. The accommodation rooms are clean but are in need of a renovation and definitely not 5 star. The room service food was terrible (actually the worse we have had anywhere) we ordered a Romaine salad which was literally a few lettuce leaves, two cherry tomatoes and a stale crouton. And the dressing tasted like it had fish sauce in it (my daughter and I are vegetarians). We couldn't eat it. The cheese flat bread would have been OK had it come to us hot (or even warm!) but it was cold and tasted like cardboard. And it was all very expensive (a can of sprite was $5). My husband (meat eater and usually not fussy at all) couldn't finish the burger. On the plus side - the wifi works well and the staff are friendly. The highlight of the resort is undoubtably the pool. It is huge, has a slide, a waterfall, a little beach area for toddlers and a hottub. My children loved it. But I would not recommend this hotel as a five star experience and definitely not value for money.

Green Features: You can choose to go "eco-green" which means leaving your towels unchanged.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank SassyCeremonies
SheratonKonaPR, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Aloha SassyCeremonies,

First of all, let me say thank you for providing your valuable, detailed feedback on your recent stay at the Sheraton Kona. While we're happy to hear that your overall staff service was friendly and the wi-fi worked well -- and that you enjoyed the pool -- I am saddened to hear about your disappointment with our location and room service options.

Regarding the location, were you able to make it up to the Keauhou Shopping Center? It's less than a mile from our resort and has nice restaurants with an ocean view, a movie theater and more! Our trolley is complimentary for our guests, but we will consider increasing its frequency. And there are many activities to do right on historic Keauhou Bay such as canoe paddling, snorkeling, stand-up paddle boarding and swimming.

We're also sorry to hear about your in-room dining experience. That is unacceptable, and we will look into our portion sizes and ensure that all of our meals are fresh. The next time you make it back to Sheraton Kona, let us offer you a complimentary dinner with our new menu from Rays on the Bay.

I noticed there were several other issues during your stay. Please feel free to email me directly at kathryn.vanes@sheraton.com so we may discuss other ways we can improve our services.

Aloha,
Rancho Palos Verdes, California, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I visited the Sheraton Kona on our honeymoon last week. The trip started out a little rocky, but ended well! They first "upgraded" us to a view of the parking lot on the second floor right next to the elevator which was loud all night. We then found a lizard in our room! They sent someone to catch it, but we were still uneasy staying in that room. We spoke with Veronica the next day who was AWESOME. She moved us to a room with a view of the bay, conveniently on the same floor as the lobby. From then on, our trip was great. The lobby is beautiful, there's plenty of activities and things to see, and the pool is beautiful! The bathrooms in the guest rooms could use a little updating, but other than that our stay was great. Thanks to Veronica!

Room Tip: Upgrading to an ocean view is worth it. "mountain view" and "partial ocean view"...
Green Features: I don't have any knowledge about the hotel's environmentally-friendly practices, and honestly when I'm on vacation, I'm not really worried about it.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trucksr4girls8
Thank you for recently staying with us at the Sheraton Kona and for providing us with your valuable insight. We're so happy to learn that Veronica was able to assist you and help with your every need.

Being in the tropics, lizards and other pests are an ongoing issue for most hotels. We have our hotel on an aggressive remediation program with our national Starwood vendor Ecolab and do everything possible to stop their intrusion into the resort. We'll step up our efforts.

Should you wish to contact me directly, my email is kathryn.vanes@sheraton.com. Mahalo again for staying with us at the Sheraton Kona.

Regards,
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We selected this hotel for our Big Island vacation this year since Keauhou Beach Hotel closed last October. For the price, the Sheraton was very disappointing. Resort fee $30/day - for services that are standard in other Kona hotels. Roll-away bed is $65/day - again free at other hotels. Rooms need updating - low water pressure and weak air conditioning. Staff was friendly and nice, setting is good though a bit of a drive if you want to get food other than the very pricy hotel fair. Overall, I would expect more for a hotel of this quality, especially if you are paying a significant resort fee on top of your booking rate.

Room Tip: Most rooms have good view, so selecting one is not a problem
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Steve G
SheratonKonaPR, Manager at Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Aloha Steve,

Thank you for recently staying here with us at the Sheraton Kona, and for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. I am sorry to hear that you had such a disappointing experience at our resort.

While we're glad to hear that the service was friendly, we're disappointed to hear that you were overall not satisfied. Regarding the resort charge, we have bundled all of our ancillary charges into one simple resort fee instead of applying many different charges. We feel that daily water, internet, parking, 60-minute calls, trolley and cultural programs are of tremendous value and end up saving guests time and money. These charges are never hidden and are fully disclosed on all of your channels -- if this wasn't the case, would you please email me at kathryn.vanes@sheraton.com so we may remedy the error? I would also like to discuss the other items with you personally.

Best regards,
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I really don't have too much negative to say about this facility. The room, service and ammenities were generally good and the pricing was quite reasonable. It is located very near to a popular Kona beach with snorkeling, surfing, turtle watching, and other activities, and is very close to a local mall with a number of shops and restaurants.

I will say that the games in the games room (pool, fooseball, table tennis) were all quite old and in need or repair or replacement. None of the pool ques even had tips on them anymore and the ping pong table net was torn and the paddles were all plastic (no rubber face). Given the scale of the resort, and the minor cost of a couple of new pool ques, ping pong table, etc., I'm very surprised that they wouldn't just replace this stuff but I guess it's mostly kids who go in there.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rantech
Aloha Rantech,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to provide this valuable insight. I've noted these comments about the recreational areas and will be sure to take this up with our cultural and activities management. Should you have any additional concerns, please feel free to email me directly at kathryn.vanes@sheraton.com

Katie Vanes, PR Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
#8 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Been to Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay? Share your experiences!