“Excellent Sushi!”

Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 293 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Queen Ka'ahumanu Hwy
Description: ‘ULU Ocean Grill & Sushi Lounge is the breathtaking new oceanfront fish and seafood restaurant at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, where Executive Chef James Babian’s acclaimed “R.S.A. - Regional, Seasonal and Artisanal” cuisine is served in Hawaii’s most beautiful setting - alongside the surf and under the stars. The restaurant showcases a stylish blend of Hawaiian architecture and modern flair - a lively, informal setting where guests are inspired, surprised and delighted by the Hawaii’s beauty and the flavors of the Pacific, through an innovative menu with playful tableside presentation. Cuisine is prepared oven roasted, flame grilled and wok fired, while an extensive wine list, with a special selection of boutique wines is presented via iPad. The modern sushi lounge and ocean view bar feature the Island's freshest sushi, as well as craft cocktails, sake and Japanese beers. Casual, friendly and knowledgeable servers guide guests through a social dining experience not to be forgotten.
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Great choices on the sushi and other items.
Very fresh.
One of the best meals I have had.
Recommend trying.

There are newer reviews for Ulu Ocean Grill and Sushi Lounge

Reviewed 3 June 2014

It was a bit of a drive from our condo rental at Keahou Bay to the Four Seasons but well worth it. We had lunch at the Residents' Beach Club on the day of our drive over from Hilo and were looking forward to another meal at the Four Seasons. It's quite a strange but beautiful oasis in the middle of an almost lunar landscape. It seems to take ages to drive from the highway to the hotel foyer but, suddenly, there you are and one of an army of valets whips the car away and points you in the appropriate direction. The place is enormous and the walk from the lobby to Ulu takes a while. The setting is beautiful, next to a pond and you walk across a driftwood bridge to the restaurant which opens out onto a white sand beach. Rain was threatening so we weren't confident of our great table overlooking the water but it turned out okay.
Our waiter, Bronson (yes, named after Charles, one of my two heroes - the other being Clint), was friendly, knowledgeable and efficient and, according to her, fairly easy on the eye too. We started with a martini for me (enormous but served in a very girly glass) and a ??? for her. Both were very good. For appetizers, she had the poke which was mixed at the table and i had the roasted cauliflower. Both were wonderful dishes but mine was an enormous serving and created problems later with finishing my main course. She then had the beef rib thingy and I had the pork chop which was huge and came with an additional massive bit of pork belly which hadn't been mentioned on the menu. If I'm starting to sound a bit vague on detail, it's because that part of the check which lists what we had has blown away into oblivion from our lanai in the breeze and my usual supplementary memory source is asleep on the lounge chair next to me (after a wonderful lunch at Orchids). I know we had something else to drink as well but can't remember what it was. Anyhow, the bill came to $370 and a big part of that was the drinks and the beautiful bottle of Amarone Zenato Valpolicella we had. When we first looked at the menu, I wondered why Ulu had a reputation for being expensive but the wine list was an immediate explanation. However, the restaurant was very busy throughout the evening and a lot of those around us weren't drinking wine by the bottle. The rain kept threatening and, even when we eventually had a torrential downpour, it wasn't a problem for those of us with tables outside. A little bit of table movement was all it took.
This is a very good restaurant.

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Had dinner here for our 25th anniversary. Perfect setting for a romantic dinner or special occasion. We had ahi poke prepared table side and served on breadfruit chips. Fresh and interesting blend of flavours. Entrees we're catch of the day (snapper ) grilled on a bed of vegetables (book choy , snow peas, bamboo shoots) and pineapple miso mahi mahi. Simple but fresh and delicious the way fish is supposed to be. Completed the perfect evening with banana soufflé and coffee. Portions were on the small side and expensive but we left satisfied and happy.

2  Thank PGdiner
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The atmosphere at Ulu is incredible. The tikki torch lighting and the sound of the waves crashing are instantly relaxing. We sat right by the edge of the sand on the front deck. The service was flawless and our waiter knew exactly when to stop by our table. I would highly recommend the tableside poke, it was so fresh and flavorful. My husband and I will definitely be going back.

1  Thank Christy H
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I ate breakfast and dinner at Ulu while staying at the Four Seasons. The breakfast was fantastic. Every morning they make a fresh squeezed juice with different fruits, perfect way to start the day. Try the Lemon Ricotta pancakes and the Breakfast burrito. Absolutely delicious!
For dinner I shared some sushi. Try the lobster roll. Very generous portion and the fish was incredibly fresh.
The restaurant is right on the beach and the view is perfect!
Ulu is definitely worth a visit if you want a beautiful meal while staying in Kona.