“BETTER THAN FRANCE!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“BETTER THAN FRANCE!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

I am writing this in Normandy, France - after eating "Veal Normandy" at many "top-rated" restaurants here - so you know my references. The La Bourgogne version is easily the best - and I am writing this review so that YOU will know. If you want the best, you need to go to La Bourgogne in Kona!

The ambience is NOT ocean front, palm trees, or "mai tais" - it feels like a cozy French country restaurant. From the moment you enter, you are transformed from parking lot and Kona activity to a different place and time. From the music to the friendly atmosphere, the husband and wife team of chef/owners will make you glad that you came!

If you have read this far, let's talk foie gras - with delicately grilled scallops and carmelized onion "confit". A masterpiece of complexity and yet delivered with simple perfection - every time! I have told friends and family that this is the only restaurant I have ever been to where you can close your eyes, point to anything on the menu and you will be happy!

The best seafood - of course - this is Kona! But also rabbit, duck, venison and much more. Escargot, French onion soup, any soup du jour is incredible - just too much to mention.

Obviously, I have been to La Bourgogne many times, but I have now been to many different French restaurants - not only in America, but all over France. I have lived in Hawaii almost 30 years and you cannot do better in this state. The French know fine dining - period. If you don't have time to go to France, you can be transported gastronomically in Kona at La Bourgogne.

Still reading? Chef Ron will recommend a wine (or wines) that will complement and enhance anything that you order and you will be amazed - I always am! Everything on the wine list is reasonably priced and all regions are represented. If you are looking for 20 pages of wines from Burgundy/Bourgogne, Bordeaux, or Côte du Rhône, you will have to go to France - but you only need one or two great wines for a memorable evening, and Chef Ron will make that happen.

The last time I ate at La Bourgogne was at a special evening/dinner in honor of Julia Childs. Everything was magnificent and you will see other reviews with details. Chef Ron held his prized cookbooks from Julia for all to see, and gave a personal introduction for each course. The labor of love was evident throughout the evening (as always) and just another example of what a special place La Bourgogne is!

Stop reading - just go - and savor the moment. Bon appétit!

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank mark m

Houston, TX
“The best food on the big island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

Now that the Four Seasons has closed Pahuia and replaced it with the disappointing Ulu, the best food on the big island is at La Bourgorne. The restaurant is hidden in the ground floor of an anonymous 2 story office building in Kona. It is very small with only 12 tables and is run by a husband and wife who wait the tables and run the restaurant (husband is the chef). There are much prettier places to eat in Hawaii but the food here is tops. This is a classic French restaurant with an extensive menu and very nice and fairly inexpensive wine list. I have dined here many times over the years most recently in August, 2013 and the food is simply wonderful. It's worth the drive to find this little gem - you will not regret it.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank wineandfoodfan
Pahoa, Hawaii
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

I have visited this quaint, personal style, restaurant several times over the last 10 years.
I have always encountered friendly attention by the chef and his wife who own, manage, and fully operate this establishment.  I do not eat here often enough for them to recognize me and I notice the attention is shared throughout the seatings, be the patron a regular or a new guest.
The food is delightfully prepared and presented with abundant choices and on par with the meals I have enjoyed in France and Polynesia.
I look forward to my next visit.

Visited August 2013
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
“French country dining in Hawaii”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

We've visited La Bourgogne several times over the years and have always had a great experience. This is one of our favorite places to dine on the islands after 6 years of living in Hawaii (Oahu). There are plenty of overly expensive, overly dramatic, overly pretentious restaurants with great views all over Hawaii. La Bourgogne is the contrarian: a small intimate, family owned place with hearty French country fare at very reasonable prices (particularly for Hawaii). The Chef/owner/sommelier Ron and his wife run the show from start to finish with an intimate knowledge of every item on the menu. My son had the mussels as an appetizer and the local Kona lobster fettuccine as a main course. We lived in the Northwest for 11 years and are have seldom had really nice mussels anywhere else: these were very fresh, crisp and tasted like they just hopped out of Penn Cove. My locally sourced rabbit baked in a delicate lavender broth was perfectly done, tender but not mushy. My wife had the traditional veal chop in a mustard crust, tender, juicy and loaded with flavor. The wine list is small but very well thought out and very reasonably priced. It would be tough to imagine that you could not find a perfect wine for the meal from the selection. There were 5 French red burgundy's on the list (none of the usual generic village wines) and Ron pointed me to a nicely balanced one that fit our tastes. We lived in Belgium about 12 km north of France for 2 years and spent a lot of time exploring real French restaurants. The true gems for us were found found in the small country inns and bistros off the main tourist route: warm, friendly places in simple surroundings with consistently great food fresh from the land. This is the essence of La Bourgogne.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
“Expensive for an average French restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

Four of us visited this restaurant for dinner. Because of the size, reservations are a must! The room is small with dark walls. We were greeted promptly and seated in a corner which kept us out of traffic. The table was neatly set with white linens but not fussy. The bread was warm and flavorful. We all shared an order of the most delectable mussels we have ever had. They were fresh and clean with a savory broth of light buttery cream. (This was the best part of the meal.) My husband had the Hawaiian bouillabaisse which consisted of 4 scallops, 4 shrimp, and a nice piece of a Pacific snapper. The broth was not tomato-based but rather on Chinese vegetables and not as tasty as you would have thought with the fish that was used. The broth needed more reduction. I had the rabbit which was tender and in a light gravy. The side dishes of vegetables and orzo were nothing special. Our friends had the filet mignon and lobster pasta. The filet was larger than usual. Both seemed to enjoy their meals without comment. For dessert we split a profiterole and berry cobbler which were very good. We also shared one bottle of an excellent fume blanc. The bill with tip and tax was $250. Not an inexpensive place! For Kona, this is a great restaurant but if you have been to other French restaurants, it deserves an average rating. However, we will definitely return for the mussels, bread and wine.

• Visited May 2013