“Great little Thai restaurant at terrific prices”

Thai Charley's Cuisine
Ranked #133 of 298 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I doubt there is a better value in Waikoloa than Charley's Thai. All the food is exceptionally well priced - starters and mains are really reasonable.
A great bonus is that you can take your own wine, a novel experience for us in the USA! As a result we ventured to the nearby Island Gourmet market and grabbed some champagne and Zinfandel for the table which allowed us to drink excellent quality wine at low cost.
Food was just fine - standard Thai fare was good for us - Pad Thai; green curry; red curry; some Thai stir fries and rice.
All-in-all a greatly enjoyable dinner at a very reasonable cost.
Highly recommended for everyone as it was also family-friendly and the service was also very good!

Reviewed 4 April 2013

Went there after not being able to get in to a packed Sansei Japanese restaurant in the Queen's Marketplace in Waikoloa. We were a group of 8 without reservations, but were seated promptly. The service was really quick and the food was allright, nothing to really rave about. Reasonably priced alternative if you are not willing to wait to get into other nearby restaurants like Roy's, Sansei or Macaroni Grill!

Reviewed 3 December 2012

Lots of good choices, prices reasonable, service excellent. Restaurant is clean, food is good. The fried fish dish I had was highly recommended by the waitress but it was rather dry. The sauce and veggies were delish! My husband's noodle beef dish was very tasty!

Reviewed 21 November 2012

We are regulars to the Big Island and usually look forward to hanging out at local haunts but I was diagnosed with celiac this year and have had to shake up our dining habits. We had resigned ourselves to making do without since Hawaii is typically not good for gluten free. However, knowing that thai food is often gluten free friendly, we asked at Charley's and they were very familiar with our needs and even recommended other places for us to try. Most importantly, they knew without me having to say anything that soy sauce/tamari usually has gluten. This inspired me with confidence. :)

It's no surprise after that intro that we thought the service was excellent. The staff were attentive and able to recommend other places (e.g., two restaurants down in Kona, about 30 min away). The restaurant was moderately busy and the conversation at other tables made it sound like they enjoyed their food and received good service too.

Now, for the food. It was decent thai - not my favorite but satisfying for someone who had been making do with eggs/no carbs and smoothies for too long. We also are vegetarians (making it even harder to find places for me to eat) and I think they may have not known how to spice our food without oyster or fish sauce. My bet is they are pretty good but we threw them off their game. This was our last night on the island or we would have gone back. We will go back on our next trip so I'm willing to recommend Charley's to others.

Reviewed 7 October 2012

This Thai is the best we have found Kona side to date. It's in the Waikoloa Queens shopping center. It is not licensed so BYO they do not charge any corkage fee.
Food is all homemade, including the spring rolls (which is unusual these days) Which was the only dish that could take some improvement, as they were full of cabbage and tasted off little else and sauce was insipid.
The prices are reasonable Soup $4 Tom Yum Goong, $3 Tom ka both very good
Chicken cashew was great, chicken breast, fresh vegetables and plenty of nuts.
Panang curry was super tasting used chicken breast and fresh vegetables.
Toasted coconut ice cream was super good.
Friendly service, nice environment and atmosphere