“Great time!”

Blue Water Hunter Spearfishing Charters
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Blue Water Hunter Spearfishing Charters of Kona, Hawaii specializes in freediving and spearfishing charters. We are proud to be the first and only legally operated and insured freediving and spearfishing boat charter business in the state of Hawaii, and possibly the entire USA. Most charters are spearfishing oriented but spearing a fish is only PART of the entire adventure. We often encounter dolphins, whales, manta rays, sharks and other magnificent creatures of the sea. For those vacationing on the Big Island, this can be a very exciting once-in-a-lifetime experience. Owner Rob White is a top expert in his field with over 30 years of experience. When you are in the ocean you really want an expert guiding you every step of the way to ensure a safe experience. All charters offer a guided dive, which means one of us will be in the water with you at all times to help you with your gear, to help identify approaching game fish and to identify and aid in dangerous situations. A smaller boat means a more personal experience. Our favorite dive locations are close by and the weather is generally very good.
Reviewed 14 August 2014

A friend and I signed up for both a reef excursion and the blue water trip. Both were great, although the blue water trip should not be missed! Lots of instruction on technique, targeting, general safety etc. Tons of fish on the blue water dive - Ahi, Mahi, Ono, and Rainbow Runners showed up, only Ahi and RRs went into the cooler though (I shamefully missed my Mahi, I blame the amazing visibility making a far away big Mahi look like a close in little Mahi, duh). Also got a visit by a big boy Oceanic Whitetip that showed up to check us out on a couple of drifts.

What can I say -- super fun, exciting and educational. By far the best paid tourist activity I've ever done in HI! And Rob himself is great to hang with, clearly a professional who knows what he's doing....!

All reviews
in 4 reviews
in 4 reviews
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Driving from the airport on the way to Costco, I saw yellow and red signs advertising Bl;ue Water Hunter. So I got dropped off at the store, and was warmly and enthusiastically greeted by the owner Rob White and staff. What a great experience. Clean store. Lots of inventory in spearfishing, floats, wetsuits, masks and snorkels (more on that later.) Great assortment of pistols, rifles and shotguns decorated the walls and cabinets, but what really sold me was how I was made to feel welcome and like family. Prices are comparable and a lot of times better than what I can find in my home town. So I ended up wanting to buy a mask and snorkel for our stay. I have to say that if Rob treats me like he does every customer, there is no reason to go anywhere else. There were over 20 masks on the wall and through careful questioning and custom fitting, I got exactly a perfect fit mask, snorkel and lens de-fog for our snorkling trip.
I can only imagine the care a patience he puts into his firearm sales. FIVE STARS

1  Thank sam S
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Awsom charter guided by a pro Rob White. Comfortable boat and a lot of Pelagic action. Awsome lunch and fun company. If you have never dove blue water this is a must! Rob takes pride in his company and it sure does show!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I called rob at blue water hunter over a year ago while I was on Honolulu and to my dismay I found out blue water hunter was on the big island.
(I knew where my next vacation was going to be)
When I finally made it to Kona I called rob first thing and we discussed my abilities and my equipment. We decided we would do a shore reef dive as I didn't have very much diving experience and only a 75 cm spear gun.
We met rob at the secrete dive location and there he taught us various techniques on breath hold, diving, shooting, fish behavior and many more invaluable things. With his lessons I was able to double my current breath hold and I shot a nice surgeon fish.
I spear fished on my own for another week practicing robs techniques and I was able to land several more fish.

I developed so much confidence in reef diving that I knew I needed to get into the deep blue.
I called rob and we discussed the gear upgrades I would need. We selected a 120cm
hammerhead gun some upgraded bands and he added a second barb to the spear shaft.

I went out to practice with the new gun in the reef for a few days while waiting for our dive day.
the new gun shot well and I landed a few fish with it.

ON dive day I met rob at the marina and we loaded up the boat. Rob selected a amazing captain who had us on our way to the hot fish spot. The captian was top notch, keeping a close eye on us while we were in the water. We floated in heavy currents as the captian chummed the water with bait.
Rob and I waited as the game fish made there way up from the deep. I used my newly acquired dive skills to get to a depth of maybe 40 ft and got a shot on a nice sized tuna. I was unable to land the tuna but that is the nature of fishing.
Rob was able to shoot and land a 2 tuna that day so I got to see the whole process .
I will definitely be back in a few months to land that tuna.

Thanks Rob

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We called Blue Water Hunter to book a great water adventure on our vacation to Kona, Hawaii. We didn't know if what to expect but WOW what a great time we had. Rob (the owner) took us out on his boat and it was so much fun. I liked that he was in complete control of everything going on at all times, he went over all the safety rules, he guided us when we were not sure of what we were doing and let us all have a wonderful time. The others on the trip seemed to be more experienced than us but Rob didn't let that bother him, he let us all perform at our own level. I would recommend this to all my friends and family and we will be going out on the water with him again. Sherry E.

1  Thank Sherry E