“Only The Best Thai Ever”

Laddawan's Phuket Monkey Thai Cuisine
Ranked #96 of 295 Restaurants in Kailua-Kona
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Only the best Thai that I have had in Hawaii and maybe the best that I have ever had anywhere. I'll have to go back many times to try many more items to be sure that I didn't just luck out with the combination of Papaya Salad, Green Curry (which I test all Thai restaurants by), Sticky Rice and Siam Honey Lemonade which were just about perfect.

The samples of my husband's choices were just as tasty and interesting as the ones that had ordered for myself. My husband is no fan of Thai but he declared this the best Thai that he ever had. He was willing to go back in the same week for a second visit when most times I have to beg him to join me for Thai once every couple of months.

The portions were very generous. I ordered an extra side of Sticky Rice to take home to go along with the leftovers, all of which I ate for breakfast the minute that I woke because couldn't resist. Have you ever had Green Curry that was great - cold? I never had curry that was any good cold until this one.

Oh yes, the staff was very nice and, it is as others have said: "a store front in a strip mall" but it is nice inside and very clean with lots of seating. There is plenty of free parking right in front and I like to be a bit away from the bar seen on Alii Dr. anyway.

BUT the most important thing is: This place is ALL ABOUT the FOOD! Kona, and maybe the whole Big Island, is short on great food - so don't miss this place if you are in town and you like Thai even a little!

So what else can I say? You must try it for yourself to understand how good this food is. Don't miss this place if you like great Thai.

7  Thank OnTheRoadPrincetonNJ

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My wife and I happened to have a craving for spicy food and this restaurant hit the spot! The food here is what sets this restaurant out from the rest.....savory over the sweet. I had the drunken noodle dish and had it "spicy monkey" style, and let me tell you, this level of spicy is not for the faint of heart (and it does not take from the flavor of the food). They have lower levels of spicy if you cannot tolerate the heat...I just love my Thai food very spicy. We met the owners and had a very lovely conversation with them. My wife just loved their panang curry. She mentioned that you can really taste the freshness of the vegetables used in the dish. If, there was one word we could use to describe the food here, its "DELICIOUS!" This restaurant ranks high up with our favorite Thai restaurant in Denver. If you are on the island, make sure you stop by as you will definitely enjoy the food here (and tame the spicy craving that you may have)!

3  Thank Iggy1621
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Great service, and Andy was very friendly and helpful with directions to get there. This was the only Thai place we ate at, so I can't compare to others on the island. My daughter had the chicken satay which was very good, and I had the red curry with shrimp. I'm not used to the strong smoked paprika flavor, so I didn't enjoy it as much. It doesn't feel like a restaurant, more like a cantina atmosphere. But if you're looking for a good value for money and great service, and convenient parking, try it out.

2  Thank Lv2Teach
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We saw great reviews and decided to try. The food was ok. We were there at dinner time and were the only customers there. The owner talked to is incessantly while we were trying to eat.

The food was ok but the experience was awkward. Maybe it was just a fluke.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

If you are wanting to experience a unique restaurant where the food, owner, and staff are amazing, don't miss this. We ate there twice on a one week vacation.

2  Thank PapaBear1958