“nice place to paddleboard”
Review of Kamakahonu

and up
Island Breeze Luau on the Big Island
Ranked #49 of 138 things to do in Kailua-Kona
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is a nice little beach behind the Hotel. I will say it gets really busy around 4:30 when the canoe clubs come with their outriggers to head out to practice. Just stay ashore until they are gone-it's crazy! This is the place where I first chose to try paddleboarding and I'm glad I did. The area is protected all around so there's few waves which was great for a first timer. Snorkeling here can be outstanding too. From up on the paddleboard I saw all kinds of fish in the rocks. It's not too deep until you go out past "the hut". I tried to go back and snorkel after my hour was up, but the water was pretty murky from all the outriggers going out and coming back in. The morning would have probably been better.

4  Thank 13VLD

Reviewed 24 July 2014

As others have said this is really the Marriott King Kamehaha hotel beach, but it's open to the public. The beach itself is small but nice, and one of the few sandy beaches and easy access into the water in the area. If you are a snorkeler, head out past the pier, and bear right along the coastline. You will find very good snorkeling here in depths from 5-40+ feet, with good structure and reef, with the fish that go with that type of area. I snorkeled various areas on this trip including Kauai. This was one of my favorite.

5  Thank jm222
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Great historical site being preserved for all to see. This site is easy to access, as it is on the Courtyard Marriott grounds. The area is very interesting. The Marriott Courtyard also caters a lot to the locals and activities to include this site. Worth seeing.

1  Thank buswrb
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My wife and I spent a couple hours on the beach after parasailing and touring the Kona Brewery. Very close to the pier (we had to tender to our cruise ship) and to Kona activities. Could have spent far more time there!

2  Thank cruisnfox
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I love this beach. All the amenities needed. With a beach shack to rent everything from chairs, umbrellas, snorkeling gear, and kayaks, there's showers, bathrooms, and places to eat across the street. Not much for surfing, so its a great place for small kids. Surf lessons can be booked thru the shack. The sea life in the area is fun to watch sea turtles, dolphins, and in the winter humpback whales. Its awesome.

6  Thank giselekona