“Enjoyed golf, birds, other wildlife”

Big Island Country Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Since the day the Big Island Country Club opened to rave reviews in 1997, it has been on the "must play" list of the golfing visitor to Hawaii's Big Island. That's not only because of its spectacular location and scenic beauty, but equally because of its well-deserved reputation as a course that welcomes both the novice player as well as the low-handicap expert. The course is simultaneously enjoyable yet challenging, and is designed for every level of playing ability. Designed by famed golf course architect Perry Dye, son of Pete Dye, the par 72 course has all the popular attributes and interesting features that make his layouts so popular to golfers of varying skills: wide, gently rolling bermuda grass fairways, medium-size undulating Bent grass greens, and an abundance of water.
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My wife and I really enjoyed our round, which followed a late night on Mauna Kea. I agree with other reviews that course could be in much better shape, from tee to green. But loved the opportunity to view the wildlife, particularly the endangered birds (notable, there was nearly one less of those when my second shot on 18 failed to clear the channel and nearly clipped one of our fine feathered friends).

They are closing for a bit, I assume to work on conditions. I almost thought the operators could play up the lid life more. The pictures on the website are helpful, but a few on the course or maybe even in the cart could have been great.

As far as the layout, I thought it was one of the best courses I have played. Really enjoyed the 17th, which mimics the 17th island green at the player's. That hole and the 18th were very tough into a stiff win. Very nice variety. Sand was not the most beautiful to look at, but bunker was pleasant to play out of and was able to get an unexpected amount of spin from there (for me). Mountain vistas were pleasant. Likewise, trees and shrubs made for pleasant surroundings. Not the master's, but appreciated the surroundings. Breeze made for a pleasant morning. We teed off before 8am and done in 3.5 hours.

I was able to get a $42 rate for 18 holes by signing up for the Wyndham spiel. I would have been fine paying more, and I'm glad I did not play a mor expensive course, such as $140 at waikoloa beach, particularly if that ended up being hotter and less breeze.

All reviews
"public courses"
"the pro shop staff"
"range balls"

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We have played here quite a few times over the years and conditions are slipping fast.
After playing Mauna Lani and Waikoloa Kings course the conditions here are deplorable.
There are large herds of goats/sheep and flocks of turkeys running wild on the course. The goats/sheep are visibly part of the course maintenance staff. They cut the grass. The turkeys and some Nenes provide pace of play monitoring. There are no human Marshalls to maintain pace of play or to allow faster groups to play ahead.
The "grass" on this course is sometimes weeds, and is wildly uneven. The bent grass greens
haven't been rolled, not cut properly, and are bumpy and uneven just like the tees and fairways.
You will almost never find an even lie here. There are so many uphill, downhill, and sidehill lies
playing out of fairways that are deeper than rough should be.
Sadly, this tract has some beautiful flowering trees, great views of many bird species, and is located in a cool temperate area of the high country.
This course is very popular with visitors because the rates are much lower than the Kohala
courses. There is less of a difference in green fees for locals.
The good news is that there are friendly ladies at the pro shop check in and Nick has it all together at the starter's post.
Course conditioning and pace of play control are pressing issues they need to deal with.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

This is a pretty good old course. The lay out is fair but challenging. The biggest issue they have is there are no amenities (they are working out of trailers) and the maintenance is less than outstanding. The greens are pretty good but the tee boxes are all beat up. The place needs more money for maintenance. Over all it is pretty good and the price is fair for what you get.

1  Thank Sandwichhole6
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Just FYI, there are many other courses for less or the same amount of money that will provide a MUCH better golf experience.
Whatever problems they are trying to resolve here , should not be taken out on the customers.
I am from Hawaii so it hurts to write this review, but I count on the reviews from Trip Advisor and it's only fair to post my experience.
The front desk women ( both of them ) do NOT want to be there and that is the first contact at the course and on the phone. If I had to pick one word it would be "Snarky". As I Stood there she Loudly offered a discount to a person who 'forgot' their coupon , and then proceeded to ignore my request for the same discount. OUCH !
The par 3 on the front had ( sit down ) 4 groups . .that's right . . . . count it out . . .8 carts of 2 people. While the pace was on target when we arrived . . .it went straight to "you know where " as we waited and waited . . . ** here's an idea. MAKE IT A mandatory, drop zone. if you don't hit the green or close to it . . . . drop your ball . .and keep moving. I know that this is long review , , but TOO many courses will take you money, welcome your arrival . . . and keep the pace of play, and honor the prices . . . **we even had the gal at Makalei, tell us where to get a coupon and get a better rate . . .because she could not provide it.
We played Makalei for less , and Hapuna !! We also played Hamakua C.C. , a 9 hole ,15.00 . . .well maintained . . . super unique set up . . . in Honokaa . . . **look it up ) They wanted OUR business . . . Sorry Big Island C.C. . . . . people don't want to pay a lot of money and be treated this way. We were sad to have never gotten to the Water Hole . . . . We hit 3 hours after 9 holes and had to {" Hele On"} .
Move on in Hawaiian !! I suggest you move on . .until they work out their issues.