“On the Water Luau”

US$204.68*
and up
Kona Submarine Adventure and Royal Kona Resort Luau
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The main thing I wanted to do in Hawaii while on vacation was an authentic luau. We were a little nervous because we booked this luau on a discount site that made it only 70.00 compared to all the other luau's that were around 130.00 a piece. We got to the luau extremely early because we had a large group of 21 people and wanted to secure the preferred seating. They open the doors at 4:45 and we arrived around 3pm to make sure. We were told it was a first come, first serve basis on the preferred seating. When we arrived at 3pm we were told by a very rude employee named Cora that we wouldn't be able to purchase the preferred seating because it had to be available for everyone. Um... that's why we came at 3pm because it's first come first serve and we are here.

After much debate with this employee and the intervention of a more friendlier employee they let us purchase the preferred seating for the group. Once that was all done and the luau began it was perfect. The show was excellent, the MC was very nice and the food was wonderful! They have a buffet style and it has many options. If you need Gluten Free this is the place! It's also open bar all you can drink.

Don't forget to check out the sunset while the show is going on because it's right on the water!

There are newer reviews for Royal Kona Resort Luau

Reviewed 26 July 2014

The location for this luau is simply stunning. The luau takes place on next to the beach, and you get to enjoy the sunset.

We happened to arrive early, but there was already a queue waiting to enter. The advantage of arriving early is: for an additional $5 per person you can choose to sit in the preferred seating areas, supposedly with better view of the stage. If you are one of the firsts, you can be right up near the front. Though we had the opportunity, we didn't take up on this offer, but got a seat which was all right. In my opinion, you get a good view pretty much anywhere, as they haven't over-crowded this luau or placed seating that could be too far away.

The food is not great, but it is good enough. Open bar is available up to close to the start of the show. The show was very good, with enthusiastic performers.

I haven't been to the other luaus, which apparently costs a lot more, but for what I paid here, I think it is good value, with the setting of the luau getting top marks.

4  Thank Dbnlau
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I treated my parents to a Luau experience. Luau's are not on the top of my list, so it was a stretch for me to be in a crowded place and chatting with strangers. The food was fine for a buffet - nothing stood out. The rum punch was waterlogged with too much ice. The luau show was nice, but the Fire Dancer was spectacular! I was completely mesmerized by his talents!

I rated this Average because luau's are not my first choice for entertainment.

1  Thank OlympicPeninsula2
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The luau was fantastic! We had to wait in line for a short while but were expecting that so didn't mind. We were told to get there abit early to get a good seat so we got there at 4:30 which got us that. Sat right at the front, better than most of the reserved seats! Was a bit wary of buffet food for so many people but was actually good, pork was delicious. Entertainment was great, beautiful view of the sunset. We went to the luau at the royal Hawaiian in Waikiki which was good but payed $220 each, this one was $70 each and just as good!! Definetley better if you compare value. Would 100% recommend this.

1  Thank Beth R
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Handy, economical, good show, great food, easy parking, great view, the same place that the Pleasant Hawaiian welcome breakfast and info resort was at.