“A hidden Jewel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kaimana Guest House

Kaimana Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
Kaimana Guest House
usa
“A hidden Jewel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2006

When planning my trip two years ago to the Big Island, I happened to call this place for rates and availability. The owner (Shevan) was sooooo nice on the phone and ended up helping with everything else such as tips about the island, etc. I booked her place right away!
When we arrived there, we were late and it was after dark already. A dirt road, no lights, not many people around... It was scary at the beginning. But let me tell you this: what a place!!!
First of all, her daughters are the cutest thing and welcomed us like hospitality professionals. Then Shevan herself made us feel at home - as we had the entire place for ourselves - and helped us get settled.
I must admit that, at first, my roommate and I were a little uncomfortable due to the rustic and secluded nature of the place (especially because we could not see where we drove through). But when we woke up and could hear the ocean and could see the ocean a few yards from the house and could trully experience the nature.... we felt like we were in heaven (make sure you arrive there during the day!)
Now it gets better: two years have passed, and I am returning to the island. Not only have I told tons of people about this place, but I also want to return for a couple of nights myself. I called the place, and Shevan answered and as soon as I said my first name, she interrupted me, told me about my last trip there with my roommate, and where I was from, and already told me about another amazing beach I needed to see this time!
If you are going to the island, you must stop by the Kaimana Guest House for one night at least. You will love the owners, the house, the view and you will remember your trip just like I do just because we found this amazing hidden jewel.

9 Thank carapicuiba

Families
Couples
Solo
Business
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2006

This place would not be everyone's cup of tea, but I loved it. We didn't want tourism overload in our holiday. We weren't after a night life other than to relax at home at the end of the day with a nice meal that we had made from the fabulous produce the island has. The cottage IS in the middle of a lava field. It's a subdivision of homes that seem mostly to be vacant vacation homes. A lot of the lots are undeveloped making it a very private and peaceful location with lovely ocean views and magnificent sunsets. I loved the number of beautifully coloured finches that used to fly around the house. The cottage DOES have solar and cistern but most of the houses on the Island do. If you want Waikiki with restaurants and shops and buzz then Miloli'i is not for you. It's a good hour to Kona and the main tourism drag and the road to the subdivision is horrid when you arrive for the first time after dark after than it's no worse than any dirt track in a rural town. We found the location perfectly reasonable and it was great to get South to South Point and Green Sands Beach, Kealakua Bay and Kayaking is 20 mins north and Kona about an hour. We spent 4 days there and were very happy. Great value, clean, cozy. My one criticism would the mosquitos were not kept out of the house because the window screens had holes. I got seriously chewed. Probably not the best place for kids, but perfect for a couple.

• Stayed April 2006
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Lopeyjo
France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2006

This place is magic -- if you are looking for isolation, magnificient night skies and beauty.
Yes, the road is basic. It takes an hour from Kona. But, the place is clean and cozy. They provide drinking water and when I was there, there were lots of condiments and coffee and sugar in the kitchen.
No, there is no dishwasher or laundry, but there is lots of hot water, a good stove, and startling beauty.
Simon and Siobhan are helpful (by phone). Bring food with you and chill out. The price is a bargain and you will be very satisfied.

• Stayed February 2006
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank carrieae
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2006

Wow, this place is REALLY off the beaten track! Drive down a poorly maintained road (my husband called it a goat path) maybe 20 minutes onto a lava field (literally) to find this little cottage. They use solar power and a cistern to collect water, ok unless the wind blows out the pilot light. The cottage itself was fine, double bed, kitchen, sitting area, bathroom (cold water as the pilot light did go out!) and the owner truly kept it very tidy. However, it is in the middle of a lava field! The pics online say it is oceanfront (it is) implying there is easy water access (there is not). One must walk across the lava to reach the shore line which is lava and a 5-10 foot drop down to the waves. The website suggests easy access for swimming, diving, snorkeling and kayaking, not so! We thought that the village of Milolii (the last Hawaiian fishing village) would have better access but it was like the "Hawaiian hood" and we did not feel particularly welcome. We had trouble with the water pump the first night and left a message for the owner, he came by maybe an hour or so later to fix it. The place was clean, he was helpful but it really was not what we were looking for. We had booked 2 nights and only stayed the first.

13 Thank mdgipsy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Arnott's Lodge
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel

Been to Kaimana Guest House? Share your experiences!