“No sunshine on the Lanai.”

The Beach Villas at Kahalu'u
Reviewed 6 February 2013

The condo was great except that there was no sunshine on our lanai at any time of the day. The view of the beach was great. The unit itself was wonderfully appointed and was very comfortable; which was expected given the hefty price tag. We were in unit K2-302.
We did notice that the towels smelled funny so we washed them ourselves with hot water which helped a bit. We attributed the smells to cheap detergent and cold water washes.
the location is perfect with the great snorkeling beach right across the road and easy access to the Highway or the attractions/ restaurants/ happy hours on Alii drive.

Room Tip: If you like the sun try to establish that your room will see it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Beach Villas at Kahalu'u

Reviewed 25 January 2013

This is one of three Abbey Vacation rental units we stayed in during our vacation. We had our kids and they loved the close proximity to snorkeling and surfing. This unit is nicely appointed, was clean and the beds are comfortable. The kitchen only has no condiments of any type, not even sugar packets or salt and pepper. They give you 4 pods of dishwasher soap so prepare to grocery shop immediately. Groceries are expensive in Kona - no matter where you go.

The lanai was very nice with a large table and comfy chairs and a weber gas grill. The only one of the three units we stayed in that had its own grill and it was very useful and convenient.

As others have said, this unit is noisy but we closed the doors at night, turned on the AC and all was well. One reviewer griped about the free wifi. I can't take seriously a person who claims they need wifi for business but doesn't have their own back up. The wifi didn't work perfectly but it did work sometimes. We used our Verizon mifi which had 4g.

A few annoying details abou this unit. The upper cabinets are so high that I couldn't reach the lowest shelf. I'm 5'4". The bathroom sinks were large glass seashells that looked pretty but were about as functional as false eyelashes.

If youre looking for quiet, check out the Kona Surf and Raquet Club, which is about 2 blocks south of this location. While we really liked the unit, the lanai and being able to cook on our lanai, we would probably not choose this unit next visit.

The pool and hot tub was very clean and the grounds were immaculate. The day after we arrived Abbey Vacation rentals called and welcomed us and we had no other need to contact them during our stay at this unit.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank glacierhiker
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We stayed in unit 2-202 for a week. Rented through Abby Rentals. We selected this complex and this unit based on the Tripadvisor reveiws about it's good location next to a good snorkeling beach. Rather than repeat information already covered in other reviews I'll highlight the Pros and Cons we found if you're considering renting this unit. Then I’ll cover Tsunami considerations that could impact your vacation in Hawaii.

I gave our experience in this condo only 3 stars because of our experience with Abbey Rentals, the property management company.

PRO'S:
-Newer, modern building with air conditioning.
-Comfortable bed and pillows.
-Location: If you like snorkeling from the beach this location is good. If you like to be isolated from the restaurant and bar action you’ll like this location. If you like to be close to the restaurant and bar action you should not stay here.

CON’S:
-Free WiFi didn’t work as advertised. Tried to connect three wireless devices while sitting 10 feet away and couldn’t make it work due to poor wireless connection. I rebooted it several times. Still didn’t work. Finally I gave up and borrowed someone else’s unsecured WiFi signal when I needed it . Don’t believe the Abbey Rental advertisement for free WiFi.
Living room furniture looks nice. However, it’s the most uncomfortable furniture I’ve ever experienced.
-We couldn’t enjoy the lenai several nights because of loud parties at the park across the street.
-We couldn’t sleep in at all because of noisy neighbor’s upstairs and noisy school kids gathering outside for school bus pickup.
-No kitchen necessities such as salt, pepper, sugar packs, sweetner packs, etc. I’ve never stayed in a condo before that didn’t have at least these basic necessities. We had to go purchase these items. We left them for the future guests. It would be interesting to see if they get thrown out by the cleaning staff. They provided most of the common kitchen utensils, except for a spatula.
-Misleading advertisement that groceries are discounted. Abbey Rentals advertises that they leave you a 10% off coupon and the grocery store club key chain to obtain discounts at a local grocery store to help offset the high cost of groceries in Hawaii. We drove all the way back into town to use this grocery store instead of the local store up the hill. After checking out our groceries they refused to take the coupon because it’s expired. They also couldn’t read the key chain discount card because it was worn out. So we ended up driving further to this store with higher prices and couldn’t even get the discounts Abbey Rentals advertises. My advice for future guests is to go to the local grocery store up the hill where the prices appear to be less expensive anyway. Don’t believe the Abbey Rentals advertisement.

TSUNAMI EMERGENCY PREPARATION:
The first thing you should do after you get settled in is open the Yellow Pages Phone Book and study the Tsunami Emergency information. We experienced a Tsunami Warning while staying in this unit. Even though I’ve been in emergency services for 40 years I was not prepared for a Tsunami Warning. The siren across the street started blaring over and over. We listened to the directions on the TV which said that if you’re not in the Tsunami Evacuation Area to stay put and stay off the roads. We went to the phone book maps and determined that this unit is just outside the evacuation area (probably because it’s on the side of a hill elevated above beach level). We decided to follow the instructions and stay put. The police cars kept coming up and down the Alii Road telling everyone to evacuate (we assume they were talking to the people on the beach level). Just in case, we did some preparation. The TV news was saying that water and sewer would be turned off. So, we filled all the containers we could find with water for future drinking water. We then packed all our belongings and put them in our rental car. We then relocated the rental car to the top of the hill where it would be safe and we could get to it on foot if necessary. Meanwhile a representative from Abbey Rentals called us and told us to evacuate. We advised them that the unit is NOT in the evacuation area and we’re being advised to stay where we are and stay off the roads. They ordered us to evacuate, which confused us because it appears to be in conflict with the Hawaii Emergency Plan. Then they never called us back to tell us it was safe to return or to check on us after the Tsunami Warning was cancelled. I think Abbey Rental’s was just covering their liability by telling us to evacuate. You would think they would know the proper procedures for the properties they manage. My advice to anyone renting any condo near the ocean is to take a few minutes and figure out what you’re going to do in case of a Tsunami Warning. Are you going to listen to the authorities, or the property manager ?

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
18  Thank haztaz69
Reviewed 25 October 2012

My husband and I have stayed at many vacation rentals in Hawaii and it’s been hit or miss. I’m happy to report that with our recent stay at Villa 1-202, it was a wonderful experience.

Straightforward booking with Chuck at Aloha Condos. Email inquiries and confirmation/check in details were answered promptly.

Our 2 bedroom villa was just as the photos have it on the website. Beautifully furnished with plenty of tasteful touches throughout. My husband loved cooking in the kitchen – everything you need to make a gourmet meal was provided (utensils, spice rack, sauces, condiments...).

Cleanliness is always a big priority for us and we were very happy with the cleaning service. Even though we initially baulked at the additional interim stay cleaning fee of $130 (we stayed 2 weeks), the cleaner did a superb job, even replacing all the start-up supplies (washing up sponges/liquids, paper supplies etc). Big washer and dryer in unit came in very handy.

Beds were firm and linens aplenty. Shampoo, conditioner, body wash were supplied in both bathrooms.

An issue we had with the router was instantly taken care off by Bruce, the local Rep.

Grounds were very well manicured and we felt very secure. Parking is plentiful.

Barbeque by poolside was rarely used by other guests and in good condition. Pool cleaner does very through clean of the pool and jacuzzi.

In my opinion, we had one of the best views in this development. Right below us was the gorgeous pool and barbeque station and yonder Kahalu’u Beach. We knew exactly when we could have the pool all to ourselves and when to hit the beach.

We enjoyed the rocking chairs and watching the eels below the lanai of the soon-to-be-demolished Outrigger Keauhou Resort opposite our building.

Tips
• Opt in for the additional $15/day air-conditioning fee. The villas face Ali’i Drive and with the windows closed and a/c on, you won’t hear the traffic noise outside.

• The building does not have an elevator. To get to our apartment from the car park, you’ll need to walk up two separate flights of stairs. Make sure you pack light.

• Entry into the amazing Kahalu’u Beach is rocky so wear reef shoes. Snorkeling here is one of the best in Big Island. Calm (thanks to the breakwater), lots of friendly fishes and honus here.

• The Beach Villas is a great base to explore the rest of the island. Not too far from all the must-see sites and a welcome treat to come back to after a long day of exploration.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank happy2bealive
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We stayed here in August with our 2 kids and my mom. Overall, this condo was clean and had all the amenities we needed for the week. The pool was never crowded and the water was just right. Everything is close by, e.g. snorkeling, shopping, white sand beach, farmers market, restaurants, etc. If this building had an elevator and was located across the street, right on the beach, I would have given it 5 stars. Since this building sits right next to alii drive, you will hear lots of street noise especially when you are sitting out in the lanai. This condo is also on the third floor, so it was a bit of a struggle for my 83 yr old mom to make the climb. I think the property description should make it clear that the building does not have an elevator. The bathrooms are nice and roomy although the vanity area around the sink could have been roomier. We also encountered 2 cockroaches inside the condo so beware there may be some problem with insects.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank JC7908
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I wanted a condo that was in walking distance of a snorkeling beach and this was the perfect choice! Conveniently located right across the street from Kahalu'u Beach, the fully furnished condo was clean, well-maintained, and had everything we needed and more. The view from our lanai was spectacular, I only wished the trees across the street were not there blocking the beautiful sunset that I wanted to capture a picture of but couldn't. Nevertheless, our kids had a lot of fun playing in the pool and most of the time had it all to themselves. We hope to return again soon.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank pbj_111
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Last summer, we stayed in this condo for just three days. We had such a great time and felt there was much more of the Big Island left to explore, that we returned for a full week in August. Last summer, we were there over the July 4 holiday (phenomenal fireworks, BTW); this year, we vacationed Aug 1 - Aug 9. What a difference a month (and a year) makes. This year, I need to downgrade my review by 1 star (it would be 1.5 stars, if that were possible).

My biggest complaint is noise - lots and lots and lots of noise. Evidently, Hawaiian students return to school the first week of August, and the corner (Ali'i Dr. and Makolea St.) directly below this condo is a bus stop for elementary and junior high school kids. Every weekday morning at 6.30am, we were woken up by the noise of dozens of shouting, screaming, and yelling children. They begin to gather at 6.30am on the corner - there appeared to be only 1 adult hanging around, and she did nothing to keep the noise down. Many of the cars pull up with radios blaring and adults shouting as well. The first bus picks up at 7.00am, which brings about half the kids running from down the hill, jumping off the walls where they climb, and tearing out of vacant lot across the street. The other half of the extremely loud kids are picked up at 7.30am. It's like trying to sleep in the middle of a playground. The master bedroom windows and the lanai are directly above and across this bus stop, and even with all of the blinds pulled, there's no way to block any of this early morning noise.

I understand that some of the locals resent tourists, and I don't expect to be revered for my vacation money. What really bothered me about this is that this condo is a residence for many people, not just rental units, so the school children and their parents show zero regard for the people living -- and trying to sleep past the crack of dawn -- in this residential area. Full disclosure: I have a 6 year old and an 8 year old, and I couldn't deal with the amount of noise made right outside my window every day for a week (nor would I ever allow my kids to run rampant like that in the early morning hours outside someone's house, but we all have different expectations).

My second complaint is the cleanliness of the condo. It is still lovely and well appointed, and, for a family of 4, having a second bedroom and second full bath is absolutely necessary. However, it should've been cleaned more thoroughly; there was mold on the walls of the master shower, someone else's bobby pins left in the shower pan, and the fixtures needed to be scrubbed. It also seems a little run down. Of course things get rusty by the ocean, but they should be replaced when that happens, like the tension-rod shower caddies. There are nicks in the wall that need to be re-painted, and some of those nicks that have been repainted don't match. These are small complaints, to be sure, but don't exactly scream "luxury." The couch and the chairs in the living room are spectacularly uncomfortable, but the kitchen stools make for good seating.

Of course, the best place to hang out is on the lanai. There's a great patio set that's very comfortable -- and the view of Kahalu'u is amazing. The best part is you can see how crowded the beach is getting and run right across the street to claim your spot bright and early (extra early, if you can't sleep through the bus stop noise).

Many things about this condo are wonderful. The beds are clean and comfortable, the pillows abundant. The kitchen has everything you'd need to cook all meals, the appliances all function properly, and there are more dishes and utensils than you'd need. There are TVs in each room, but we didn't turn them on - I assume they work. The washer and dryer work fine, and the owner very thoughtfully provides detergent and dryer sheets. The pool is great, too -- my kids especially love that there's a turtle-shaped seat in the middle of it; it's clean and safe.

The location on Ali'i Dr. can't be beat (apart from the bus stop). Of course, it's right across the street from "Turtle Beach," so excellent snorkeling is in your front yard. BTW, this is a great place for kids to try snorkeling -- getting in is a little tricky, but there's a sandy path through the lava rocks and it stays very shallow. The water is pretty calm, and there are TONS of gorgeous tropical fish and even a sea turtle or two. The condo is fairly central to everything on the Big Island. It's about a 10 minute drive from Kailua Village, the main shopping and dining center in Kona. It's about a 5 minute drive from the Keauhou shopping center, which includes a KTA grocery store and a nice little indie bookstore. And it's about 2.5 hours from the other major spots on the island, including Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and the Mauna Kea Visitor Information Center.

I must repeat: The ungodly bus stop noise was not at all a problem when we were here last July. I heartily recommend staying in this condo as long as school is not in session, you can sleep through an hour of screaming children, or you're an early riser and won't mind the noise. EVERYTHING else about this condo is pretty much fantastic, especially if the cleaning service works a little more thoroughly.

One other note: We never received a new email from the rental guy (not the owner) with the lockbox code for the key. Our emails and phones calls placed when we landed in Honolulu and then Kona were not returned. Luckily, my husband still had the code from the email sent last summer, and luckier still, the code hadn't changed. Needless to say, this was stressful. So make sure you have the lockbox key before you leave home!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ltoneill
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii
Kona Coast Resort
Kona Coast Resort
#2 of 36 in Kailua-Kona

Been to The Beach Villas at Kahalu'u? Share your experiences!